Ex2F Samsung Smart Camera
In the last IFA held in Berlin, Samsung guys loaned us a unit EX2F your Samsung smart Camera 12 megapixel BSI CMOS sensor 1/1.7 “and folding screen I could try a couple of days and here I tell my first impressions.
Input confess that I found interesting this proposed camera with built-in WiFi Samsung, but it is clear that I am not a professional photographer and expert on cameras, so that what you have in mind when reading my opinions about this product.
- Sensor Type: BSI CMOS 1/1, 7 “(approx. 9.33 mm)
- Effective pixels: Approx. 12.4 Megapixels
- Total Pixels: Approx. 12.76 Megapixels
- Focal Length: F = 5.2 to 17.2 mm (35 mm film equivalent: 24-80 mm)
- F No. F1.4 (W) – F2.7 (T), Includes ND filter
- Optical Zoom: Zoom Lens Schneider-KREUZNACH 3.3x
- Digital Zoom: Still Image mode: 1x – 4x (Smart Zoom: 1.33 x), Play mode: 1x – 12x (depends on image size)
- Image stabilization: DUAL IS [Optical Stabilizer (OIS) + Digital Stabilizer (DIS)]
- Display: AMOLED 3 “(7.62 cm) VGA (640 x 480) 614 k points (PenTile), Swivel.
- Dimensions (W x H x D) 112.1 x 62.4 x 27.55 mm (size excluding the projection part). Weight 286 grams (without battery).
- Focus: TTL Auto Focus (Center AF, Multi AF, AF Tracking, Face Detection AF, Face Recognition AF, Selection AF), manual focus.
- Range: Normal: 40cm ~ Infinity (Wide), 100cm ~ Infinity (Tele) / Macro: 1cm ~ 40cm (Wide), 40cm ~ 100 cm (Tele) / Auto Macro: 1 cm to infinity ( Wide), 40cm ~ Infinity (Tele) / Manual: 1 cm to infinity (Wide), 40cm ~ Infinity (Tele)
- Shutter speed: Smart Auto: 1/8 ~ 1/4.000 sec, Manual: 30 ~ 1/4.000 sec
- Exposure Control: Program AE, Aperture Priority AE, Shutter Priority AE, Manual exposure. Metering: Multi, Spot, Center-weighted, Face Detection AE. Compensation: Â± 2 EV (1/3 EV)
- ISO Sensitivity: Step 1: Auto, ISO 80, ISO 100, ISO 200, ISO 400, ISO 800, ISO 1600, ISO 3200, ISO 6400 *, * ISO 12800 â€¢ 1/3 Step: ISO 80, ISO 100, ISO 120 , ISO 160, ISO 200, ISO 240, ISO 320, ISO 400, ISO 480, ISO 640, ISO 800, ISO 1000, ISO 1280, ISO 1600, ISO 1920, ISO 2560, ISO 3200, ISO 6400 * ISO 12800 * (1)
- Flash: MODE Reduction Auto, Auto & Red-eye, fill flash, slow sync, flash off, red-eye correction. Width Range: 0.9 m – 7.8 m (ISO Auto) â€¢ Tele: 0.8 m – 4.1 m (ISO Auto) â€¢ Flash EVC: Â± 1 EV (1/2 steps). Recharge time: Approximately 4 seconds
- White Balance: Auto WB, Daylight, Cloudy, Fluorescent, Fluorescent, Tungsten, Custom, K
- Still Image Modes: Smart Auto (Portrait, Night Portrait, Backlight Portrait, Night, Backlight, Landscape, White, Natural Green, Blue Sky, Sunset, Macro, Macro Text, Macro Color, Tripod, Action, Fireworks, candles, Spotlight, Spotlight (Macro), Spotlight (Portrait)), Program, Aperture Priority, Shutter Priority, Manual, Scene (Beauty Shot, Night, Landscape, Text, Sunset, Dawn, Backlight, Beach & Snow, 3D photo), along with the magic (Panorama, Magic Frame, Stock Split, Picture in Picture, brush artistic HDR) â€¢ Burst Single, high speed (10 fps, 5 fps, 3 fps), Precapture, Support (World Bank, AE), Timer â€¢ Timer: 10 sec, 2 sec â€¢ ND filter effect: On, Off
- Recording Modes: Modes: Smart Scene Detection (Landscape, Blue Sky, Natural Green, Sunset), Movie, Magic Plus (Picture in Picture) â€¢ Format: MP4 (H.264) (Maximum recording time: 20 min ) â€¢ Size: 1920 x 1080, 1280 x 720, 640 x 480, 320 x 240 â€¢ High speed: 480 fps (192 x 144), 240 fps (384 x 288), 120 fps (640 x 480) â€¢ Sound Alive: Sound On Sound Off Alive Alive, Mute â€¢ Image Stabilizer: Off, OIS, Dual â€¢ Capturing while recording: 9 M (1,920 x 1,080, 1,280 x 720), 12 M (640 x 480)
- Effects: Smart Filter: Palette Effect 1, Palette Effect 2, Palette Effect 3, Palette Effect 4, Miniature, Vignette, Halftone, Sketch, Fisheye, classic, retro
- Edit: Pause during recording and playback, still image capture, time trimming
- External memory (Optional): SD (up to 2GB guaranteed), SDHC (up to 32GB guaranteed), SDXC card (up to 64GB guaranteed)
- File Formats: Still Image: JPEG (DCF), EXIF 2.21, DPOF 1.1 ¢ Movie Clip: MP4 (Video: MPEG-4.AVC / H.264, Audio: AAC)
- Image Size: 12 M: 4,000 x 3,000 pixels, 10 MP: 4000 x 2672 (10.69 M), the 9 MW: 4000 x 2248 pixels, 8M: 3264 x 2448 pixels, 8 M (1:1): 2832 x 2832 pixels, 5M: 2592 x 1944 pixels, 3M: 1984 x 1488 pixels, 2MW: 1,920 x 1,080 pixels, 1M: 1,024 x 7.68 pixels.
- Wireless: Mobile Link, Remote Viewfinder, Social Networks, Email, SkyDrive, Auto Backup, TV Link, Wi-Fi Direct
- Supported OS: Windows XP SP2 / Vista / Windows 7 / Mac OS 10.4 or higher
- Output: Digital Connector USB 2.0 (High Speed), and Video: A / V: NTSC, PAL (selectable) HDMI 1.4: NTSC, PAL (selectable)
- Lithium-ion battery: SLB-10A (1030 mAh), DC power input connector: Micro USB (7-pin)
By having his hands to Ex2F first, you can not stop dwelling on his body: Compact and excellent finish, looks like a professional camera and even gives the impression that it is interchangeable lenses, but in the end it looks its compact range.
It is made of black metal and fits comfortably in your hand (even the small hand of a woman, as in my case). The material on which it is built is not at all slippery, so even when you take the camera with one hand you feel confident that you will not fall.
Its comprehensive measures are: 112.1 x 62.4 x 27.55mm and weighs 286 grams with battery and memory card included. Easy to carry: Fits in a bag without problems, although clearly not a pocket camera.
The Ex2F has rounded, but not overly so, so I feel like it fits the hand without making much effort: This seems remarkable because making easy grip is much more satisfying user experience.
The wheel style buttons allow changing modes or are sensitive, so that you can easily switch from one mode to another, or activate a specific function with a simple finger movement.
If we see the front Ex2F the first thing is we stop your lens 3.3x, able to provide a focal range of 24-80mm, which the Ex2F us very versatile when taking a picture.
Also in the front we find a sensor for optional remote control, an AF-assist light / timer lamp and a dial to change the shutter speed that fits perfectly to the index finger of the right hand (when you take a picture), facilitating adjustments to shutter speed, right when you use priority mode or when using the camera in manual mode.
In the rear of the rotating screen Ex2F see three inches AMOLED, accompanied by eight controls on its right side. One of them, with the red center to remind the “REC” video recording, is precisely to activate video recording without changing anything in the upper wheel, which is guaranteed not to miss any details to make your video: You can start, pause and stop recording from that button.
Below find the AEL (Auto Exposure Lock), typical of SLR or high-end compact and allows us to keep the exposure locked, a little further down the “Fn” that allows us to adjust the ND filter adjusting light intensity for different results depending on the shutter speed and ambient light, and access to the functions of the camera menu.
Below the dial or thread that helps us move from menu options, or see images in Playback mode when you press the corresponding button to see all the way down (along with deleting images that has the sign of a trash can). The dial also find shortcuts to adjust the flash, macro function (represented with the typical flower) and WiFi.
The AMOLED screen is bright and crisp, and does well outdoors, while not perfect when sunlight hits it directly … Nothing is perfect.
The screen is hinged liked me because I find it useful when making frames or creative shots, or when you want to do something simple as a ‘self-photo’, because you can see what you are taking and how you are staying. Ideal travel companion for the lonely, for example, they no longer have to ask a stranger to take a picture of you (and you avoid the risk of running out with your camera …).
A self-test photo was a part of the “East Side Gallery”, the longest remaining piece of the Berlin Wall and where many artists have painted murals, and I leave it here for you to see more or less what can go, yes, excuse the appearance that took several days of IFA and sleeping very little!
Stat: When you carry the camera, you can save the screen to the camera, protecting it from scratches and bumps during transport, and that detail I found useful for conservation issues.
At the top we find a shoe that allows the use of accessories like flashes, or even a microphone. We also see the button on / off, accompanied by a physical switch for the various camera modes, which include the usual PASM manual control modes, intelligent auto mode that baptized Samsung “Smart”, a scene mode, the video mode, and Wi-Fi mode (for Internet connection).
Also at the top we see an album of options that allows us to adjust details like the timer, burst mode and single-shot modes. There we see several continuous shooting modes and self-timer, either with a delay of two or ten seconds. The camera is capable of shooting up to 10 fps for 10 shots, is rather light on this aspect.
Upstairs is also the ‘lever’ to zoom in / zoom camera, and the compartment from which takes the flash to move, as shown in the following image:
On the right side of the Ex2F find mini-HDMI port (although the camera does not include the cable, you have to buy separately), and USB port that is used for battery charging and synchronization with your PC. Already Spoken battery, better know your time is acceptable, because after charging all night I could use it without problems for about 200 pictures and a few short videos.
In the bottom of the Ex2F see the place to connect the metal tripod and a sliding cover to protect the rechargeable battery and space memoriaSD card / SDHC / SDXC.
Samsung’s proposal with his Ex2F is that thanks to the fast F1.4 lens aperture 1/1, 7 “, which insist on positioning as the brightest on the market, and ND filter (neutral density) plus CMOS sensor BSI of 14.2 megapixels, you can get high quality images even in low light.
Precisely, using the camera indoors and in low light as museums and night landscapes. The result is not bad, as you will see in the photographs that I leave in the gallery, because although I warned at the beginning as I am not a professional photographer or an expert in cameras, the images were not bad for the lighting conditions they had.
Macro results seemed pretty good: Zooms with a high level of detail, without much “noise” in the same, as we can see in the following example, where I take the picture without zoom, and then zoom to the maximum to see the details.
Then you will see the “experiment” in an open and bright sunlight (it was a break for lunch, ie 13:00 would a day with clear sky):
Then I did the same test in a museum, to see how it defends the macro effect in a confined space and in dim light, here’s what I got:
As good high-end compact, the Ex2F offers the option to make panoramic photos with very acceptable results, at least in my view, and I have more than what it seems to me, I leave a sample taken from a panoramic with this Smart House to carry forth your own conclusions:
The camera is capable of recording Ex2F Full HD 1,920 x 1,080 pixels at 30 frames per second, and as has HDMI output can be easily sharing your talent in the TV lounge. Sure, you have to buy the cable because it brings … Nothing is perfect in life.
As you know that Samsung insists he’s camera records crisp videos even in low-light, and as usually attend product presentations where we invite dimly lit spaces, I decided to take the Ex2F me to see how they defended in the presentation of Imaginarium tablet for kids I went a few days ago.
Then I leave the video to see what the camera can do in a confined space with lighting as mean and audio captures the environment (noise there was an event with many journalists talking about). This is the result:
Ex2F that have Wi-Fi built-brings advantages in supporting the photos wirelessly. It also includes options to send via email and upload them to social networks Facebook, Picasa and YouTube in the case of videos, for example.
Yes I must say that while this is convenient, not so much the enter the email address to which you send the photos, then you should do it with the help of the keys “up / down” (with the photographs you spend when you see them in-camera) by selecting one letter on this keyboard that shows the camera on your screen:
Stuff that is not touch screen … then receive an email where you appear as the sender “Samsung Smart Camera”, from an account: email@example.com.
Attention to this! The first time you try to send an email from the camera checks that not going to have as SPAM, which was what happened to me in the first test to send pictures to my email.
To send photos from the camera to your Facebook account, for example, the procedure is very basic as what you should do is simply provide your login data to social network account, then you must select the photos you want to send to your social network account and you’re starting to “climb”.
Then, in your social network profile on the camera “open” a folder with the name of the camera, that is called “Ex2F” where are saved the pictures you’ve chosen to share in this way, and you’re there have them on Facebook so that your friends know how you’re spending the holidays:
Usefulness? As can be interesting when you travel, for example, and want to upload some of the photos I’ve taken with the camera to Facebook to share with your friends, or send it to a relative by email: Seizing the hotel’s WiFi connection, you meet the above steps and you’re done. But: Forget editing, retouching, photoshop or whatever. The photos were taken up as such. It’s a risk we have to take.
price and Availability
The Ex2F sold in electronics stores for $499, and specific offerings like Amazon currently offered, for example, can be found for $ 449.
In Spain, sold in specialty stores and department stores at a recommended price of 499 euros.
The Samsung Smart Camera Ex2F is a good choice for those seeking a compact provide them the opportunity to fully manual control. By design it is very easy to carry around, because although not fit in your pocket, it does have a size more than acceptable for transporting in a bag without taking up much space or represents a great weight.
The quality of the images I have no complaints, not your speed when capturing a scene: In general the Ex2F responds quite well, although it has a bit more difficult when the light is not very good. In that case, the camera takes a little longer in the photo shoot, but in doing so it provides a more than acceptable to make up the second of the wait.
WiFi connectivity is appreciated, because the ease of doing backups or sharing images captured directly in social networks or via email you can save time when traveling: You do not have to wait to get home and download your memory cards, then you can send them to you from Ex2F easily to wherever you want and who you want.
In short, I believe that is a good choice Ex2F price / quality for both photo enthusiasts (you do not need to have experience or knowledge to enjoy good catches by the automatic modes on this camera), and users advanced and even professionals in a given time, for example on a trip or a family reunion, not wanting to take your professional camera with all accessories.
- Good image quality even in low light
- The manual control options
- WiFi connectivity
- The cover that protects the lens is left hanging and can be disturbing when capturing images
- It is very difficult to write email addresses and social networking selecting one letter
- That does not include the HDMI cable