WinRAR 4.2 comes with major performance improvements for multi-core microprocessors
RARLAB recently launched a new version of its recognized usefulness of file compression : WinRAR , which reached its version 4.2.
The new winrar 4.2 brings a long list of important changes, including one that its users have been clamoring for a long time: the optimization of algorithms for achieving the great power of multicore microprocessors that have existing, significant improvements achieved by optimization performance for owners of quad-core CPUs and higher configurations.
The new algorithms used in the compression / decompression of files by WinRAR 4.2 not only are optimized for multiple cores, but also to take advantage of modern instruction sets of current microprocessors, for which even users who still possess single-chip computers nucleus, although holders of old processors that lack of modern instruction sets may not benefit from improvements to the program code.
Here the full changelog:
1. Changes in RAR compression:
a) RAR compression algorithm is generally optimized for better utilization of Several processor cores. Some gain speed while events is possible in single processor mode, best results are Achieved in multi-core environment.
Speed gain depends on data type and average file size. Several cores are more Efficiently Utilized When Compressing large files.
b) We had to increase memory to Achieve Higher Requirements compression speed. RAR compression algorithm allocates General About 120 MB to 40 MB in Comparing WinRAR 4.11;
c) RAR compression algorithm can not text Use Efficiently Several CPU cores, so STI performance in multiprocessor environment is much lower than for general algorithm. Also STI decompression speed is generally much lower than in algorithm Regardless of CPU number. So we Decided to disable the text algorithm by default.
If you need maximum possible compression ratio for plain text data Regardless of speed, you can enable compression in the text "Advanced compression parameter" dialog. Press "Compression ..." button on "Advanced" page of archiving dialog to access it. You can change this option Permanently Also in default compression profile;
In the command line mode the text compression can be enabled with-mct switch;
d) "Fastest" (-m1) Also Supports Several compression mode processor cores now. 4.11 In It Could use only a single processor core.
2. RAR decompression algorithm speed is generally upward slightly improved, THOUGH not to Same Extent as RAR compression. RAR decompression is not Able to use Several processor cores, so performance does not depend STI on a number of cores.
3. Changes in ZIP compression:
a) now ZIP compression Supports Several processor cores resulting in noticeably Higher performance in multi-core environment. Single CPU ZIP compression faster than tambiÃ©n in 4.11;
b) memory for use ZIP compression is Increased to About 15 MB.
4. Creating and processing volume Recovery can use CPU cores resulting in Several Higher speed. THOUGH, Typically hard drive seek speed is a factor for recovery Limiting volumes, So This Is Most noticeable gain when to Working with solid state drive.
5. Now the allowed value for-mt switch is 1 - 32, not 0 to 16 as before.
6. "Find files" command can search data in 7-Zip archives. Previously "Find files" did not support .7 z archive format.
7. Windows 2000 is not supported by WinRAR and WinRAR self-extracting modules anymore.
8. "Save current settings" button in "Advanced SFX options" dialog is now available Only When converting an existing archive to SFX. Options are saved With This button Applied only to convert to SFX operation.
If you create or update SFX archive, SFX options only stored in default compression profile are used. Options saved in "Advanced SFX options" dialog for These Operations are ignored.
The Planet 3DNow! conducted a mini-test to test the claims of RARLAB, compressing a group of files with a combined size of 528,115 KB, using a microprocessor AMD FX-6100, where the new WinRAR 4.2 nearly doubled the performance of WinRAR 4.11:
- WinRAR 4.11 x64 = 2:02 min
- WinRAR 4.20 x64 = 1:03 min
Link: WinRAR 4.20 Leistung auf mit Doppelter AMD FX-Prozessoren (Planet 3DNow!)Tags: 4.2, algorithm, application, compression, decompression, multi core, new, optimized, RARLAB, software, utility, version, winrar