After months of rumors and leaks, Microsoft has finally officially mentioned the new features in the Windows 8.1 update, also known as Blue code” and the software company is talking about an even better system. Since its launch, more than 100 million licenses that take into account user comments. However, the basic configuration is still not the best, affecting the performance of the equipment.
This is an operating system from the Microsoft family, whose function is to efficiently manage computer components, at the hardware and software level. The new version has puzzled many users, both private and professional, who are concerned, by the disappearance of the Start menu, this caused problems and caused an intense debate on the web. Therefore, this new installment is a (partial) response to these criticisms.
In addition, we must add the low performance of its original configuration, so in this tutorial you will learn how to speed up Windows 8 to the maximum and improve the performance of your computer. The steps in this guide have very precise illustrations and clear, direct, unambiguous comments that will tell you how to make the adjustments safely. For these reasons dear reader, you have no excuses to improve the optimal performance of your operating system.
Steps and tricks to improve the performance of your Windows 8 computer and make it faster
The major update for 8.1 correct the mistakes from the previous installment. The new version is free for all owners of the previous one. The operating system seeks to reconcile the ease of use of touch and the productivity that the traditional office allows.
In this sense, it is important that make precise settings, to increase the performance of the program, which will result in a faster, more efficient computer when interacting with the team. So, the steps and tricks that we offer you in this tutorial, will help you improve performance in a sensible way, you just have to follow my instructions to the letter, and you will see the results.
Change power settings
The default power settings for all Microsoft operating systems It is thought that the computer does not consume as much electricity for environmental reasons. The problem is that in order to achieve this, the performance of the processor has to be reduced, which obviously also reduces the performance of the entire equipment.
This is the easiest trick. Just open the power supply settings by accessing “Control Panel“and then click on“Hardware and Sound”. Then you are going to locate the energy options and you are going to select the option “Balance (recommended)”And then in”Change plan settings“.
Now you must click on “Change advanced power settings“and look for the processor options to give it the maximum possible power. When you do this click”To accept” and ready.
Close unnecessary programs when Windows starts
Every time your computer starts, it reads and scans certain programs during startup. These are enabled in by default and they decrease the performance of the computer because they are always running.
To disable them you must do the following:
- Press Win + R.
- Writes “msconfig“and press Enter.
- Select the “Start“.
- Uncheck programs that are not required for boot loading.
- Click on “Apply” Y “To accept“.
- Will ask you that you restart and the changes will happen once you’ve rebooted.
*Note: In older versions of the software, the list of startup items is present in the “System Configuration Manager “, which can be accessed using the command msconfig. But Microsoft has moved the list of startup items. It can now be accessed through the “Task Manager”.
Turn off animations and boost performance
This OS comes with many features and one of the most striking is its animations and visual effects which are very attractive. However, these usually occupy many RAM memory resources and the processor, which makes everything go slower. That is why it is advisable to disable them, which you can do by following these steps.
- Press Win + R and then write “SystemPropertiesAdvanced“and press Enter.
- Now click on the “setting” in the section of “performance“.
- Now you can see an option of performance window.
- You can uncheck the boxes for the animations you don’t want to see or you can use “Adjust for best performance“and finish by clicking”To accept”.
Shortens the distance the pointer travels
The following trick, which requires a small registry tweak, will allow you to adjust the distance to travel with the mouse to reduce the path required to close an application.
- Launch the registry editor Regedit (Windows icon + R and type regedit).
- In the Windows registry editor follow the path: HKEY_CURRENT_USER> Software> Microsoft> Windows> CurrentVersion> ImmersiveShell> Switcher.
- once here you must create a value 32-bit DWORD and give it the name of MouseCloseThreshold .
- Repeat the process a second time with TouchCloseThreshold as the name of its value Dword.
These two DWORD they can take a decimal value between 1 and 1000. MouseCloseThreshold controls the distance to scroll down with the mouse to close the application. The higher the value, the shorter the distance to travel. TouchCloseThreshold it is the same but for touch screens. The higher these two values, the faster the applications will close.
Between the many keyboard shortcuts, there is one that deserves your attention after the disappearance of the start menu. To display this menu at the bottom left of the screen, just press the key combination “Win + X“.
This technical or advanced menu provides access to various system tools such as:
- Device administrator
- Hard drive management
- Task Manager
- Control Panel
- File Browser
- Access to the Run window
Launch apps faster
One of the ways to make your computer go faster is to make an adjustment in the registry editor so that applications start much faster. To do this you must do the following:
- First, open the registry editor.
- Then go to: HKEY_CURRENT_USER> Software> Microsoft> Windows> CurrentVersion> Explorer.
- If the key Serialize is not present (as in the case of an unmodified default configuration), it must be created by right-clicking and selecting “New” and later “Key“.
- In the right window, create a 32-bit DWORD string value, right click, choose “New“, then the value 32-bit DWORD, name it “StartupDelayInMSec“and leave its value at 0.
- Close Regedit and restart the computer for the change to take effect.
Disable Windows 8 fast startup
To speed up the system startup a function called Quick start. If your system uses the Unified Extensible Firmware Interface (UEFI) and not a traditional BIOS, you can take advantage of this new feature.
To do this, you simply have to do the following:
- Move the mouse to the lower right corner of the desktop and click the “Search for“. For simplicity, you can also use the keyboard shortcut.”Win + Q“.
- In the search field, type “Power buttons“and then click”Setting“.
- Then click on “Change the behavior of the power buttons“.
- Then click on “Modify the currently unavailable settings“.
- Change the options in the section at the bottom of the page by unchecking the option “Enable fast startup (recommended)“.
- Finally, click on the button “Save Changes“and restart the computer.
Delete the list of recently opened files and software
This system automatically saves recently opened files and locations, as well as recently used software. For security or privacy reasons, you may want to delete this list and prevent it from being created later.
To do this you simply have to do the following:
- Right-click on the taskbar and choose “Properties“in the pop-up menu that just opened.
- Go to the tab “Shortcut lists“.
- Uncheck the checkbox “Store recently opened programs” Y “Store and view recently opened files“.
- Finally click on the button Apply.
A few more things to do to make Windows 8 faster
After following all the settings mentioned above, you should be able to see a sufficient improvement in your system performance. In addition to these steps, you should also take the following into account:
- Use an antivirus and keep it updated.
- Download and install the latest updates using.
- Use the latest drivers for your computer hardware.
- Install only the necessary software.
If you have any questions, leave them in the comments, we will answer you as soon as possible, and it will surely be of great help to more members of the community. Thank you! 😉