Currently, the online security It is one of the most important aspects when surfing the net. Since, with the large amount of cyber criminals that exist in this environment, it is essential save your movements to the highest possible level. Considering that, the more barriers you put those who want to access your user accounts, it will be more complicated.
That is why a virtual security system has been created known as “two-factor verification” or “two-step authentication” which is much more secure than the common passwords that must be used in any service on-line. Especially, in those networks where employees and work colleagues visit your profile on a regular basis.
Therefore, it is considered that enabling two-factor verification on LinkedIn is critical, in order to optimize the security of your profile and protect your account against any possible attack. Thus, Next, we will show you how to proceed in such cases.
What are the benefits of having 2-factor verification on LinkedIn?
Before proceeding to explain each of the steps that have to be specified to have the verification of two factors in this professional social network, it is important to know what this security method consists of and what are its main benefits in this type of virtual environment.
Thus, we point out that the two authentication steps is defined as a tool provided by various online services and fulfills the function of adding an extra layer of security to the login process of Internet accounts. Therefore, before entering your account, it will be necessary to authenticate the ownership of it by providing two different factors, which will be: the password and some other advanced information, depending on the service (in LinkedIn, is a numeric code received by SMS or with a app).
That is why the two-step verification or “2FA” is a virtual security element that has taken a lot of power in recent years and It is considered an important feature to prevent malicious third parties from accessing your accounts on-line.
Reason why, in the case of LinkedIn, it reveals notable benefits that are:
- It is a system much safer and infallible that the passwords and this makes you a more difficult target for all attackers.
- In view of that LinkedIn It is a platform managed for professional, labor and / or commercial purposes; it is essential to implement two-factor verification in order to prevent your reputation from being damaged, because this would happen if you are the victim of a hacker.
- Two-stage verification decrease your chances of being a victim of identity theft on LinkedIn and that an unauthorized person has access to confidential information based on your work.
- In business terms, this security system provides secure access to the corporate network and therefore helps these businesses to provide “Home working”And cut office overhead. This being, a practice in full swing.
Learn step by step how to activate 2-factor verification on LinkedIn
As we indicated above, the two authentication factors on LinkedIn is based on two options that users can freely select, according to your preferences, to access your profile. Consequently, apart from using your password, you will have to enter a code provided by means of a mobile application or a numerical number sent via SMS.
In the case of the mobile app, it is known as “An authentication application” and consists of a method that uses a authentication code delivered by an application such as Authy or Microsoft Authenticator. So that, You require a smartphone that is compatible with the application chosen for it.
On the other hand, if you prefer to use the code sent by phone number or SMS, you will need a mobile device to receive the text message with which you will enter your account LinkedIn Finally. Whereas, for more security, the phone number used to activate this option will not be shown in your social network profile.
Having clarified all the above, we proceed to explain the procedure to follow to enable two-factor verification on LinkedIn, using a computer:
- Once you access your account on the platform from any web browser, click the “Me” icon at the top of the home page.
- Secondly, click on “Settings and privacy” in the drop-down menu they show you.
- Later, specifically within the section “Login and security” which belongs to the section “Bill”, Next to Two-Step Verification, click “Change”.
- Followed by that, click on “Activate” to change the status of the two-step verification of the social network.
- Lastly, you may need to enter the password for security purposes and then It only remains to select the verification method you prefer, within the drop-down list. Done that, click on “Continue” and ready.
In case you want to activate two-step verification of your LinkedIn account directly from your mobile device, the process to follow is as follows:
- First of all, log into your account and proceed to press your profile picture.
- After that, click on “Settings”, access the option “Privacy” Y click where it says “Two-stage verification”.
- Then, hit the toggle button seen there, to enable two-factor verification.
- Finally, you have to choose the verification method inside the drop-down list and to save the changes made, click on “Continue”.
What do I do if I lose my mobile and cannot pass 2-step authentication?
In case you select the verification via SMS, it is important that you know that You must have a mobile phone number linked to your LinkedIn account before going through this security process. Well, through this device, you will receive the code that you must enter obligatorily for click on “Verify” and be able to log in.
This means that it is essential to have on hand the mobile phone affiliated with said telephone line to be able to log into your LinkedIn account. The same is even true if you choose to use the authentication application, since said will be linked to your cell phone. Therefore, if you lose your mobile, you will not be able to pass the two factor authentication.
That is why a great doubt arises among users who want Activate this security system in the professional social network, since, If they lose access to their mobile for any reason or circumstance, they will also lose access to their LinkedIn account automatically. So, What should be done in these cases?
Well, the first thing you have to do is enter your account through a device (other than your mobile) that you have previously authorized or verified, when you used your phone.
Once that is done, you must proceed to deactivate the verification in two stages as follows:
- From the part of start, at the top of the page, click the Me icon.
- Now in the drop down menu, press the option “Settings and privacy” in the Account section.
- Then, in the tab Bill of the new page of LinkedIn that opens, Look for the option “Two-step verification” and there, press the “Change” button.
- After that, you have to click on “Deactivate” and for verification purposes, you may need to connect again.
- Done all of the above, you must click on “Finished”.
If you have any questions, leave them in the comments, we will answer you as soon as possible, and it will also be of great help to more members of the community. Thank you! 😉