Word is a word processor designed by Microsoft. Over the years it has become one of the most used tools by all those who work, study or carry out different activities with a computer.
Through it, you can create all kinds of documents and customize the fonts used, as well as add graphics, tables and much more. In this opportunity, we will explain what are advanced font effects in word.
With their help, you can give a creative and different touch to your texts. If what you want is to capture the attention of the reader or even make art with the fonts, the advanced effects of Word will be your greatest ally. Take note!
Advanced Font Effects What are they and what are they for?
These are nothing but effects that can be applied to texts of Word to have a different style, shape, and a number of other characteristics. The common thing is to see a standard font with black borders and no fill. However, it is possible add visual creativity to your writing with the help of advanced font effects.
They serve different purposes, among which are:
- Highlight letters or sections of a text.
- Make art with the sources.
- Bring creativity to a document.
It should be noted that within Word there are two ways to apply creativity to your texts. The first is the traditional way, that is, changing elements such as the fill, outline, color of the source, etc. On the other hand is the WordArt, another much more creative way to highlight fonts.
The main function of WordArt is to allow the user to create stylized texts with a great variety of special effects such as:
- Change color
In addition, it is also possible to put shadows on the letters, modify their size, rotate them, bend them, change their width and even stretch the shape of the text. Today, WordArt has different styles that you can customize according to your tastes.
OpenType What is this tool and what is it for?
OpenType is a font format for computers created by Microsoft in collaboration with Adobe Systems. Its design and architecture is based on its predecessor, the TrueType format. This tool contains an extensive catalog of special glyphs such as ligatures, small caps, stylistic sets, and much more.
A typeface like this can contain more than 65,000 characters. Without a doubt, this is a great advance for those who work with design and must constantly manipulate the design of the fonts, because it saves them a lot of time.
Consequently, with OpenType you can adjust projects to a standard of higher professionalism and quality. All you have to do is right-click on the OpenType icon and expand to view the different characteristics of a font and apply them if you wish.
In summary, some OpenType characteristics of a font are:
- Ligatures: two or more glyphs that are joined into one, in order to create a more readable or attractive text. There are four types of ligatures in OpenType fonts: standard, contextual, discretionary, and historical.
- Stylistic sets: Within the stylistic sets you can find the flowered characters, which are decorative glyphs that use different elaborate ornaments that are usually related to calligraphy.
- Alternatives: they are understood as glyphs that have the ability to be replaced by a standard glyph. In this way, a kind of combination between standard and alternative glyphs can be made to give different appearances to the text.
Steps to learn to master Microsoft Word’s advanced font effects
There are different options for applying advanced effects to your fonts in Word, but it all depends on what you need. You can apply outline, fill, or other details effects to the text. In addition, you can also use the WordArt tool to give it a much more creative look.
Keep in mind that you can modify details such as transparency, size, blur, and much more to any of these effects. If you want to learn how to use them as an expert, keep reading.
Outline and Fill Effects
The outline and fill effects in Word They are one of the most used and easy to implement. Just follow a few steps and you will be able to modify the color of the outlines and filling of your texts, thickness and much more. To do this you must:
- Select text you want to apply the effect to.
- Go to section “Start” in Word.
- In the section corresponding to Source, click an icon that has a letter A with blue borders.
- Once the window opens, select on “Outline”.
- Choose the options you want and that’s it.
To change the padding of your text you have to:
- Go to window Start, in the section of Source and click on Font color which is represented by a letter A and below a line with a red color.
- There a window will open where you can choose the color you want for your source.
- If you want to customize the font much more, you can apply gradients in the option “Degraded” located right there.
In case you want to remove the effect from a text, you just have to go to the group Source from the tab Start and click on the icon “Clear format” which is represented by letters and an eraser.
Aside from the common fill and outline effects, you can get a lot more creative by taking advantage of other options like shadows, reflection, and more. To apply them to your text, first you have to select it and look for the option you need in Start/ Source and click on the icon “Text Effects” It is represented by an “A” with a blue border.
Follow the instructions:
- Shadow: There are many types of shadows to choose from, such as exterior, interior or perspective shadow.
- Reflection: different variations that you can use are shown in the mirror window.
- Illumination: you can select the type of lighting you want or modify its color.
Finally, to add an artistic touch to a font you can take advantage of the WordArt tool. It is achieved in two ways:
- In the section of Start of Word, in the section of Source. There, locate the icon of an A with a blue border called “Text Effects”. You can see 15 different types of A with different effects.
- In the section of Insert Word, an icon with an A that says “WordArt”.
To apply this effect to a specific text, you just have to select it and choose the type of WordArt that you prefer. You can immediately see how it transforms. If you want to change the colors, borders or other details, go back to the option of “Text Effects” and select the one that suits your needs.
If you have any questions, leave them in the comments, we will answer you as soon as possible, and it will also be of great help to more members of the community. Thank you! 😉