The Data encryption attacks are common today due to the importance of computing in private operations, from which intruders can obtain quite a large revenue.
Due to this there are different types of attacks that are used to decrypt the cryptographic keys. If you want to know what this type of cyber attack is about, you can find all the related information in the following paragraphs.
We will also show you all the attacks out there and which are the least secure and easiest to hack. Pay attention to keep your private data protected at all times.
What is a data encryption attack and what is its intent?
Data encryption is an algorithm used in cryptography to maintain information security Y thus prevent third parties from getting in the way data packets and reveal what is being sent between 2 or more computing devices.
This is why it is necessary to reinforce physical access to servers, computers and any other hardware that allows to filter the information to intruders. This is done by means of computer codes and other physical security methods, for example, video security cameras. But not only the physical aspect should be reinforced, but also everything related to software.
Because of this, symmetric keys are used for data at rest, asymmetric keys for information in motion, by blocks of fixed size and in synchronous flows. When an attack on data encryption occurs, the integrity of the message is compromised and of the data packets that travel between the sender and the recipient. In addition, the confidentiality of the information that is at rest is lost.
What kind of tools are needed to do an effective cryptanalysis?
Cryptanalysis is called the task that is carried out to decipher codes and secrets of things. This makes it possible to find the weaknesses in the encryption algorithms, so conducting an effective cryptographic analysis is not an easy task. The tools that are needed to do an efficient cryptanalysis are a computer with an operating system that allows this type of study and one or more software that deciphers weaknesses.
What are the most common data encryption attacks in computing?
Next, we will show you the most common encryption attacks in computing:
- Dynamically chosen ciphertext. The attacker dynamically chooses the ciphertext to obtain the sought values.
- Dynamically chosen plain text. In this type of attack the hacker looks for the clear text and chooses it dynamically.
- Algebraic attacks. This type of onslaught is performed by means of algebraic properties that an algorithm has when it is a number or a figure.
- Birthday attack. It is a type of brute force attack and is based on the statistical probability that in a population of 23 people two or more of them can have a birthday, with a probability greater than 50%, on the same day. In this way it is established that all existing combinations of 2 texts can be tested to obtain the necessary encryption.
- Brute force attack. It is used when information is available that may reveal a weakness in data encryption. It is not the most practical because the password you want to access is reduced.
- Attack with chosen ciphertext. In this attack method the hacker has access to the encrypted texts and uses them to obtain the clear text.
- Attack with chosen plaintext. This attack method relies on the comparison of a chosen plaintext with the ciphertext. For this it is necessary to know the encryption algorithm that has been implemented.
- Ciphertext-only attack. When the intruder only has the ciphertext, he will need to use other variants to carry out the analysis, otherwise he will have to carry out his attack using the tools at his disposal.
- Dictionary attack. It is an attack method based on trying all the passwords that it knows according to the possible words taken from a language dictionary.
- Differential cryptanalysis. It combines the chosen plaintext technique by studying statistical variables and matching these texts to find a defined pattern that corresponds to the ciphertext.
- Known plaintext attack. The attacker knows the ciphertext, the plaintext, and also the algorithm that was used to encrypt. It uses protocols to decrypt the messages by means of other known algorithms.
- Linear cryptanalysis. In this case statistical techniques are used to operate 2 bits of the plaintext. It also performs this analysis on the ciphertext to obtain a bit to decrypt the data.
- Attack “meet in the middle”. It works to find two keys at the same time, encrypting the text and then using the other encryption with the remaining key. If the results match, there is a high probability of finding both keys.
- Slide attack. The attacker works on the weaknesses that he can find in the generation of sub-keys using several encryption cycles to find the algorithm that is used.
- Frequency of appearance. This is a technique in which the set of letters that are frequently repeated in each language is taken into account. This technique generates the probabilities to find the common characteristics of the message to be deduced.
- Encryption reduction, also known as the Kasiski method. It is a method that studies the common letters of any alphabet, looking for their repetition.
- Statistical or coincidence method. It is an index based on statistical techniques that make it possible to find the encryption period by matching the repetition of two letters.
What are the least secure and easiest types of data encryption to attack?
exist two types of encryption that can be used to protect data, one is the symmetrical and the other is the asymmetric. First uses a key to encrypt and decrypt the message, so that one or more people will know this type of key.
Instead, two keys are used in asymmetric encryption, one for the sender and one for the receiver who must decrypt the message. If taken into account speed is much faster symmetric encryption, but if we have to analyze privacy, it’s more vulnerable this type of encryption. This is because the key has to be delivered to two or more users.
If you have any questions, leave them in the comments, we will answer you as soon as possible, and it will also be of great help to more members of the community. Thank you! 😉