There is no doubt that one of the things that internet users hate the most is advertising on web pages. While we know very well that this is one of the main sources of income for many, especially those that are dedicated to monetizing with Adsense, we are very reluctant to continue seeing those annoying ads when we enter our favorite portal. It’s normal, nobody likes to be sold travel packages while reading sports or politics.
Fortunately, the user has more and more power, which includes deciding what type of banner ads to see on your screen and even removing all of them for good. For some years now, many developers have been working on creating tools that give this attribute to the Internet user, thus improving their user experience considerably. At the time many of them were “illegal”, but now, when we are almost in the 20s of the XXI century, are even distributed by Google in its digital catalog.
If you are urgently in need of a way to remove advertising spots and banners from your virtual life, you are in the right post. Keep reading and we will show you what are the best possible ways not to see advertising on internet web pages and even block ads on YouTube and how to apply them step by step without any problem. At the end of the reading, you will be a true expert on the subject, so much so that you will be encouraged to create your own blocker.
Steps to block advertising while browsing the internet using your computer
The oldest digital advertising began to be distributed on the desktop versions of practically every website on the internet. That is why browsers are where the most effective measures are currently found. to temporarily or permanently block it.
In Google Chrome
This browser is where you may find more methods of restricting the display of ads. You specifically have three ways to do this and we will explain them one by one below.
With Chrome blocker
Google started developing a ad blocker to integrate it as a feature of your popular Chrome browser. This does not block all ads, but the most invasive ones, those that really spoil the user experience. To activate this blocker, you just have to follow these steps:
- Open Chrome, click on the three dots in the upper right corner of the interface and enter the section “Setting“.
- Scroll down select “Advanced settings“and in the section”Privacy & Security“click on the option”Content settings“.
- Then you must enter “Advertisements“and turn off the switch that allows you to show those that are invasive on the websites you visit. With this, the process will be finished.
Blocking pop-up windows
Internet advertising is not only limited to banners, but also in the form of Popup windows and PopUps Has it happened to you that you enter a website and the first click opens a new page that has nothing to do with the one you clicked? Well, this has a solution as follows:
- Enter Chome and go to the section “Setting“To do this, go to the upper right and click on the 3 vertical dots to open the drop-down menu.
- Once there, you just have to go to “Advanced settings“and position yourself in the section”Privacy & Security“. Go into “Content settings“.
- Then in “Pop-ups and redirects“.
- Once there, you simply have to deactivate the switch so that an annoying pop-up window that causes you problems will never open again.
With an extension
Another way is with a Google extension. As we mentioned before, many developers constantly create tools to block advertising and extensions are one of them. You can find many, (Keep reading below and you will find a list of the best and with the most number of installations so far).
For now we will limit ourselves to teaching you how to install and activate them:
- Enter the browser and go to the extensions store Chrome Web Store.
- Find the one you want to install, click “Add to Chrome“And voila, you have your extension installed perfectly.
In Mozilla Firefox
Mozilla is the second most used browser in the world and for many it is the best of all. This is because it was one of the first to start testing tools to block advertising on web pages. You currently have two ways to block ads in Firefox that we explain below.
Block PopUps and Pop-ups
The first defense against advertising banners is blocking pop-up windows. We already taught you how to do it in Chrome and now it’s time to tell you how to do it in this one. They are very similar processes and you are about to find out.
- Open Firefox and click on the three overlapping lines that appear in the upper right corner of the interface so that the menu is displayed.
- In the menu, locate “Choices“and click.
- On the left side of the screen you will see a series of options. You must find it in the section “Privacy & Security“and look for the section of”Permissions“.
- Once there you must make sure that the box “Lock screen pop-ups“is checked and ready, no more of them will appear in your navigation.
Installing a plugin
Firefox also allows you to install add-ons to the browser to improve your experience as a user, among which the AdBloker that clean your interface of those annoying ads. To install one you simply have to do the following:
- Enter Mozilla Add-ons, for this copy and paste this url to access directly: addons.mozilla.org
- In this store you will see thousands of extensions available and most of them 100% free, to simplify the search click on “Ad Blockers“.
- You will see an extensive list of blocking tools. Simply choose the one you want and install it by clicking on it and then selecting “Add to Firefox“.
Best extensions to block ads in Chrome and Firefox
Firefox and Chrome are the best browsers in the world due to the wide variety of tools that they make available to their users, mainly highlighting the AdsBlocker. The best ones are without a doubt the ones we mention below.
- Ghostery– Available in both browsers, this is one of the best and most downloaded in its category. In addition, it not only allows you to block them, but also to navigate in a safer and faster way. Its default configuration is ideal, but you can always customize it according to your needs.
- AdBlock Plus: one of the most famous worldwide. It is an extremely useful tool that will not only allow you to restrict advertising, but you can also improve the security of your browsing in general and completely get rid of annoying Ads-up and Ads-under. Available in both browsers.
- AdBlocker Ultimate: considered by many to be the best of all Why? for not having an agreement with any advertising agency, so it does not miss absolutely any advertisement. It can also be synchronized with the Android or iOS smartphone version and is available in practically all browsers.
Block and remove advertisements on your Android and iOS mobile
On Android and iOS, you will also have to deal with annoying advertising, but this time it could be considered a bit more intense. There are three formats of it which are: Pop-Ups and Pop-Under, in-app ad notifications, and in-app full-screen ads. Some are more annoying than others, but both have a nasty feature; they consume data. For this reason, in this section we will teach you to say goodbye once and for all to smartphone advertising.
The easiest option for the user of a smart mobile phone is without a doubt to install one of the many tools for this task. Some of them can be downloaded from Apple Store or Play Store, while others you must add as APK. Beyond that, the best are:
- Ghostery: we already talked about it, but we have to because you can also use it on mobile devices. In this version it is as powerful as it is for desktop, which is why it is one of the most downloaded in the Google Play Store. However, it only blocks them in the browser and not in applications.
- Adguard: one of the most powerful due to the wide variety of filters that it allows to establish to block all types of advertisers. Like the previous one, you can only restrict advertising in the browser and not in the applications.
- AdBlocker Ultimate: one of the best since it syncs perfectly with the desktop version, you just have to log in with the same Gmail than in the Chrome of your computer. Once this is done, both will be configured in the same way and the exceptions that you indicate in your whitelist will be kept.
- Adblock Browser– One of the first to hit the market, it’s basic but effective and allows you to limit quite a few ads while browsing.
Using the Opera browser
Opera is a browser designed to completely block advertising, being developed as a tool for the user and not to generate income. Thus it has a function for this integrated into its interface.
You simply have to enter the “Menu“and the first option you will see will be”Block advertising“Which is accompanied by a switch. You just have to activate said lock and voila, forget about the ads when browsing.
Activating data saving in Chrome
Finally, you have the option of using a Google Chrome function that will allow you to reduce data consumption. It should be noted that this way, not all the ads will be eliminated, but a large part of them will be eliminated, which will considerably improve your user experience. To do this, you simply have to do the following:
- Open the Chrome browser on your Android phone and display “Menu“.
- Swipe until you find the option “Data saving“and turn it on, with this you will achieve what you propose.
If you have any questions, leave them in the comments, we will answer you as soon as possible, and it will surely be of great help to more members of the community. Thank you! 😉