Most internet users usually try to block certain websites, one of the reasons is because they often have unwanted content, which becomes somewhat annoying upon entry. Another reason is because they may contain viruses or malware capable of spoofing the identity and having access to personal information. This is why many find it necessary to find a way to restrict access and eliminate this type of inconvenience, either modifying the Hosts file, installing a control program or antivirus.
If you use Google Chrome as your default browser, you should know that it also offers a very practical service to do so. From your online store “Chrome Web Store”, a wide variety of extensions are displayed that you can use for free and safe to speed up the process.
But, Do you really know how to do it? If not, don’t worry because in this tutorial we will show you with very simple steps How can you block from your computer and device, all those domains that you do not want to appear. We will also provide you with some platforms so that you can run it.
Steps to block a web page in your Chrome browser
Surfing the internet today has become a common practice. So much so There are millions of pages that can be accessed, some of them may have useful information and others not so much, many can even be classified as spamThis is why it is important to know which ones you enter. However, if you want to block them and protect your computer from some domains in this part you will learn how to do it easily.
From the Chrome browser
One of the easiest ways to do it is from the browser itself, So if you want to avoid those pages with inappropriate themes, it may be the fastest way. Find out how to do it below.
- You must open Google Chrome browser on your team.
- Access your browser menu and select “Setting”.
- A pop-up window will open, in it you must go to the bottom in “Advanced settings”.
- There you must select “Privacy” followed by “Content settings”.
- In the tab “Images” press “Manage exceptions.”
- The “Domain URL”In that part you will have to enter the link of the web that you want to block and that’s it.
On your Windows or Mac computer
In order to carry out this certain process on Windows and Mac computers, We will teach you some tools that will work for you in the different browsers that exist. So that you can protect your equipment from any danger that may arise.
To be able to carry out this certain process on Windows computers We will teach you some tools that will work for you in the different browsers that exist. So that you can protect your equipment from any danger that may arise.
- You must make sure you have access to “Administrator” on your computer, that is, make it the main account when you log in.
- You have to go to the tab “Start”found on your computer.
- Then you should go to “Team” and enter “Local Disk C”.
- When you access it, the folder called “Windows” you must click to enter it.
- Following this, you have to go to the folder “System32” and then to the tab “Drivers”.
- Now you have to double click on the file named “Hosts” and choose “Notepad”, to open it click on “To accept”.
- If it doesn’t allow you to edit the file, you must click with the right button of the mouse on the so-called hosts and choose the tab that says “Properties”.
- You must click on “Security” and choose the administrator account and click on “Edit”.
- In the next tab you have to select the account again and enter “Total control” > “Apply” and then press “OKAY” in all windows coming.
- Now in the last part of the file so that you can block the pages you will have to put the number “127.0.0.1” followed by the page you want to restrict that is, (127.0.0.1 www.webname.com).
- For more effectiveness, if you wish, you can place the “http: //” or “https: //” to the address and it will be as follows (127.0.0.1 https://www.webname.com).
- Once you add all the websites you want to protect, proceed to close the hosts file and click “Save”.
- To finish the process, you will have to restart the computer for the changes to be successful.
To run it from your MacOS computer, the procedure varies a bit. Mainly, you will have to verify if you have access to the administrator to be able to perform each step.
- Confirm if you have administrator access to the computer.
- Then you will have to open “Terminal”. This option will appear in “Applications”> “Utilities”.
- There you will proceed to write “Sudo nano” > “Etc.” > “Hosts” and press Enter. Once you have done this you have to enter the user password.
- When you do, the file will open “Etc.” Y “Hosts” in a text editor. In this case you must write the name of the website in a new line in this format, example: (127.0.0.1 blockedwebsite.com).
- If you want to do it with several pages, you will have to do the process with each one and enter the specific command.
- To end, restart the computer so that it can save the websites you blocked.
On the Android and iOS mobile
You can also do it from your Android Smartphone by accessing Google Play and downloading the app Trend Micro “Mobile Security & Antivirus”, which will allow you to protect your mobile from malicious applications. To achieve this you must follow the steps that are presented below.
- Download the app Trend Micro “Mobile Security & Antivirus” on Google Play.
- When installing this tool, you must put an access password to ensure optimal protection and service.
- Then you should go to “Network protection option” in it you will get a pop-up window where you must activate the option “Secure browsing”.
- From the “Blocked list” you will be able to add the websites you want to block. You just have to locate, copy and add them to it.
On iOS devices
This time we will provide you with the steps so that you can do it on certain pages from your iOS device. You just have to go to the “Settings” option on your smartphone.
- Login to “Settings” and press where it says “General” and access it.
- In the aforementioned option, you have to choose the tab that says “Restrictions” and activate them.
- This will take you to enter an unlock code for options.
- Then you will go to “Allowed content” and click on the option “Websites”.
- There you will see 3 options where you must select “Limit adult content” and enter the URLs of the domains.
What are the best extensions to block websites in Google Chrome browser?
In this part we will mention you the top 3 of the best extensions and the most used by users to block websites. You should know that there is a great variety of extensions in the browser’s online store, called “Chrome Web Store” that will allow it to be done without major problems.
Block any Site
This tool will make it easier for you to block all those web pages completely in a simplified way. Further from it you can exclude everything you do not want from your team, allowing to occupy less space. But the best thing is that it is very easy to use because It allows you to do it with schedules, that is, you can not access certain sites at a specific time that you want. One of the excellent advantages of this extension is that you can block many sites at the same time.
This tool “Website Blocker”Will allow you to control and block web pages with content that is not appropriate or that you do not want to appear, thus allowing you to monitor access to them so that your computer can be protected from any danger. It is quite practical to use and the best thing is that It lets you modify to discard or add new sites, in the same way it accepts you to do it for periods of time.
Nanny for Google Chrome
This application has become one of the most complete tools for users due to the way it is used and everything it provides. It will allow you to block your websites the way you want according to the hours you choose. In turn, it provides you as a user with a variety of tools so that you can use it and be able to somehow protect your mobile from all unwanted pages.
If you have any questions, leave them in the comments, we will answer you as soon as possible, and it will also be of great help to more members of the community. Thank you! 😉