YouTube is the largest video platform in the world today, it has a wide variety of content, whether recorded or live and for the same reason in some cases, said content is not suitable for a child audience, as well as people sensitive to it.
And currently on the platform not only videos are shared, but also in the comments and community sections different materials can be observed, such as images or web links that contain inappropriate content for minors.
For this and many more in this tutorial we will explain step by step how to block YouTube from any browser, mobile device. Even Block channels or comments from different accounts.
Steps to block Youtube in any browser
There is a great variety of methods to block Youtube in any browser, preventing any user from entering this website. In this tutorial we will explain different methods that you can apply, you can even use several at the same time. To make sure they can’t enter.
Block any website from the Hosts using Windows or Mac
This procedure allows blocking any web page that you want, regardless of the browser the user tries to use to enter it, it is a somewhat complicated procedure, but paying close attention and following the steps as they are explained you can achieve it.
For Windows 10, 8, 7:
- To get started, you must first make a change or modification to the hosts file. The hosts file can be found by the path of C: / Windows / System32 / drivers / etc.
- For this you enter “Local disk”.
- In the address bar of the desktop, you will write the path of entry: C: /Windows/System32/drivers/etc.+
- Press “Enter“on your keyboard and you will see a screen where you can locate the file you are interested in, which is the hosts file. Followed by that you will open the”memo pad in administrator mode “ or with administrator permission.
- For this you have to locate the notepad application on your computer, you will simply position yourself in the search bar and write the name of the program “memo pad”
- Next, in the notepad application you will do right click, then you will choose the option “execute as an administrator”.
- After this you have to open the hosts file from your specific route. For this you look for it in the option archive found in the notepad and press the option open.
- A tab will open and at the top you write the specific path of the file: C: / Windows / System32 / drivers / etc. Remember to have the tab “All the files” selected to show you all the files in the selected path.
- Then you select the hosts file and it will open the file in your notepad.
- Once this is done, you only have to change some parameters of the file, for it. You will go to the line of code 127. 0.0.1. Press “Enter“to create a new line, in this you write again 127.0.0.1, followed by the page you are going to block in this case Youtube.com
- It has to stay as follows: 127.0.0.1 Youtube.com (The space between the numbers and the web address must be removed by pressing the tab key or tab on your keyboard)
For Mac computers
The steps to make this configuration on a computer with a Mac operating system is very similar to what was previously explained, so it will not be so explicit.
- You must start the Terminal application (Applications> Utilities> Terminal) and run the following line: sudo nano / private / etc / hosts
- You will have to enter the password of your user account to be able to enter and make changes.
- Now you will look for the following address: 127.0.0.1 once you have located it. You will create a new line to enter text. In it you will write the following: 127.0.0.1 www.youtube.com.
- In the same way as we explained in the previous segment. Once finished you proceed to save all the changes
- Press Ctrl + X to close and Y (Yes) to save the changes.
The biggest advantage of this method is that you can block different websites by doing the same procedure. You just have to add the same code and a new web address.
How can we block YouTube channels, users and comments?
it’s possible block channels, users and even comments on YouTube whether we use a mobile device or a computer, it is only necessary to follow a few simple steps to complete the task.
From Windows or Mac computer
To block a user, you have to go to their profile or channel, there you have to locate the option “About” Click on “Flag” and there choose the option “Block user”.
Once this is done, you will not be able to see or observe comments from that user, this procedure can be done in any browser and in any operating system.
To not watch the content of a channel, It is only possible only if the owner of that channel blocks you. And in this way you will not be able to comment on the videos of it either.
From the APP for Android and iOS
Blocking a user from a mobile device is much easier. In this case we will explain how to do it from a Android device, however, you can follow the same steps to perform them from a IOS team
- Sign in in the youtube app.
- Search the channel or profile of the user you want to block.
- Locate¸ the “Option menu”. (This is in the upper right are three points)
- Once you have pressed that option, you will have to choose “Block user”.
- Confirm the action you want to perform and you will be done.
*Note: On iOS devices like iPhones and iPads the procedure is identical.
How to block inappropriate content on YouTube and activate parental controls for children?
It may be useful to block certain inappropriate content, this because for personal reasons this option is more beneficial than directly blocking the website. For this, parental control exists.
It prevents children from seeing content on YouTube that is not correct for them, because it is very violent, rude, etc.
To activate this control, you have to do the following:
- Go into Youtube.
- Open the Option menu.
- Choose “Settings” (It is a symbol of a gear).
- Once there, lower the screen, until you find the option “Restricted Mode Off”.
- At the moment you click, a small new menu will appear, in which you will choose the option “Activated”And click on “Save”
Activate restricted mode on Android and IOS
In mobile devices there is also this mode which allows you to significantly reduce the exposure of inappropriate content to children, for this you have to do the following:
- Access your profile and select “Settings or configuration”.
- Then click on “General”
- Finally, you activate Restricted Mode.
- Access your profile
- Select “setting”
- Looking for the option “Restricted mode”
- You configure the option Filter in “Strict”
How to block You Tube on a Smart TV?
You can block YouTube on your Smart TVIt is very simple, you only have to perform a series of steps to achieve it. This procedure may vary depending on the type of manufacturer, take it into account when following the tutorial.
Block YouTube on a Smart TV:
- Press the button “Smart Hub “, in the application panel, select “Applications or Apps ”.
- Choose “My Applications “.
- Select the icon “Setting”.
- Now, you are going to choose “Lock unlock My Apps”.
- You have to enter the PIN of your Smart TV. (This is by default: 0000). Just in case you haven’t changed it.
- Select the application you want to block. (Youtube) in this case.
- Press “Save”.
To open those blocked applications, it will be necessary to place the Smart TV pin. If you want unblock an application on your Smart TV, You just have to carry out the same steps indicated above, choose the blocked application and place the pin code to finish the process.
List of applications to block YouTube on Android
In the Play Store you can get endless applications that can block access to other websites and apps, in this case it is interesting restrict access to YoutubeFor this we will recommend two applications that you can try for this purpose.
BlockSite – Block Distracting Apps & Sites
Blocksite, is an application that allows its users to block websites, as well as apps, directly from the program. Its use is very simple. To activate it you have to do the following:
- Enter the app
- Choose the option “Enable”.
- Press “I understood“When I told you
- Now press “BlockSite “ (You probably have to scroll down to locate it).
- Activate the gray switch
- Touch “To accept” when prompted and finally enter your device’s PIN if requested.
- Press the icon “+” To add.
- You will have two options “Website and App ”. Position yourself where you want or both.
- On the website, you have to place the web page to block. You are interested in youtube, so you will place the following: youtube.com, press the check icon to finish.
- Now you choose the APP option. And click again on “add”
- You choose the application you want to block (Youtube).
Blocksite also works as a browser add-on, you can download it to your Chrome or Firefox browser and use it to block unwanted websites.
Norton Family parental control
This app allows you to have greater control over the applications and websites that a child visits, it is only necessary to have it installed and configured in the parameters that you want to know in order to obtain the information that is necessary. Can be used in conjunction with other applications to enhance security.
If you have any questions, leave them in the comments, we will answer you as soon as possible, and it will be of great help to more members of the community. Thank you! 😉