Skype is a widely used communication platform especially within the labor sector. The main reason is that it offers a series of unique features, which improve the communication process between people.
However, not everyone knows how to take advantage of it correctly. For that reason, here we will explain everything you need to know about How to make a Skype call from my Windows or MacOS computer for free?
In addition to this, you will know the step by step of how to share your computer screen during a call. This is ideal for showing other participants any kind of important data.
Learn step by step how to make video calls in Skype from my MacOS computer or Windows 10 PC
As we mentioned, Skype has gained popularity within the workplace and communications in general. It is a very simple platform to use and offers a free version or paid plans. It is worth mentioning that Calling Skype contacts on Skype is always free. But when it comes to executing communications with a mobile or landline phone, it is necessary to have Skype credits or a plan.
With that in mind, it is time for you to know the step by step on how to make video calls on Skype from your PC:
- Sign into Skype.
- Search the contact with whom you will talk.
- Select your name.
- Click on the button To call it has a phone icon. In case it is a video call, select on the video camera icon.
- When you’re done, select on End call.
On Windows 10
- Enter Skype.
- Search the contact with whom you will talk, entering your Contacts list.
- Tap on their name.
- Go to him phone icon if you want to make an audio call, or in the video camera if you will make a video call.
- Finally, click End call.
Share your computer screen while on a Skype call it can be very convenient for different scenarios.
Therefore, it is worth learning how to do it step by step:
Web and desktop version
- Check if you have the latest version of the app.
- Initiate the call.
- Click the screen sharing button. This is shown with an icon of two overlapping squares. It should be noted that the screen shared with Skype for web, is available in the new Microsoft Edge and in Chrome.
- Skype requires the permissions to access the screen recording. To do this, go to System preferences.
- Then go to Security and Privacy.
- In section Security, look in the left column for the section of Screen recording.
- From the list, select Skype.
- Enter Skype and start your call like you normally do.
- Select the button Shared screen.
- Make sure you have the latest version.
- Start your call.
- Go to the button three horizontal points.
- Click the button Share screen.
iPhone and iPad
- Check that you have the latest version of the app.
- Click on the icon with the three horizontal dots.
- Go to the option Share screen and select it.
- In the confirmation window, click Skype.
- Finally, click on Start broadcast.
Notably to end screen sharing on any of the computers you are using, you just have to press the shared screen icon again and that’s it.
List of the best applications and tools to make video calls from your computer or mobile
Currently, there is a wide range of applications and tools that allow you to make video calls from your computer or your mobile. There are some that are free and, in case you want a premium experience, you can choose to pay. Whatever your preference, we will show you 5 tools that you may not have known for making video calls.
You may already be familiar with some of them, so read on:
If you have a Gmail account, you can use Hangouts without problems. One point in favor of this application is its multi-device compatibility. It is quite powerful, which means that it offers excellent video and audio quality during video calls.
Other aspects that make it stand out are:
- Supports YouTube, so you can share the sessions with those users who were not present during the video call.
- You can easily share your screen.
- Is multi platform.
This is an uncommon name when it comes to video calling tools. Nonetheless, it is worth giving it a try. One of the characteristics that makes many value it is for its Easy to use. In addition, it should be noted that works through a downloadable app for Android or iOS, and a desktop version It is installed on Windows or Mac computers. With it, you can have a meeting with up to eight people.
In summary, the following aspects stand out in its favor:
- Simple to use interface.
- Image and audio stability of good quality.
- Recommended for be used on mobiles and PC.
When it comes to business alternatives, with advanced features, one of the best and benchmarks is Zoom. This platform can be used for free and paid, so its hiring or not will depend on your needs.
Some details that can be mentioned about this tool is that it allows set up meetings with video off, on or where you only share your screen. Likewise, the fact that in its paid version it offers the possibility of integrating up to 1,000 people in video calls cannot be ignored.
With respect to its summarized advantages, there are the following:
- possibility of include up to 1,000 people in its paid version.
- Unlimited number of meetings.
- You can set different levels of visibility, because you have the option of doing sessions where only the screen is shared.
- Offer training videos for your company’s team, as well as technical support.
Discord is a voice and text chat service which was designed, in the first instance, with the gaming community in mind. It is an option recommended especially for advanced users, since it provides quite interesting functionalities like bots. Likewise, any type of person can install Discord and use it as a channel to make calls.
In reference to its benefits, there are the following:
- Free video chat with up to 25 participants.
- It has security and privacy credentials.
- Discord chats they are only for guests.
- Invitation links expire after a certain period of time.
- Offers levels of verification, with which it is determined who can or cannot participate in a chat.
This is a little known program, but very useful when it comes to communicating through videos. Can be used completely free of charge, because it is open source. Its operation consists of opening the start site of Jitsi, place the topic on which your conversation will be and integrate a calendar if you wish.
Once you give the camera and microphone accesses, you have to add the contact emails of the participants. They will enter a window just by clicking on the corresponding link. It should be noted that it can also be opened from a mobile Android or iOS.
Some important benefits of Jitsi are:
- You can share your calendar.
- You have a side chat to exchange messages.
- Offers the simultaneous screen view.
If you have any questions, leave them in the comments, we will answer you as soon as possible, and it will also be of great help to more members of the community. Thanks! 😉