For sure you already know decimal numbers And you know what they are separated from the integers by a punctuation mark. What you may not know is that in some regions a period is used and in others the comma.
For example, throughout Europe, except the United Kingdom, the point, while to separate the thousand comma. The same happens in South AmericaWith the United States, Mexico, Canada and some Caribbean islands being the exception to the rule.
For this reason, if you must deliver a document to a region different from yours and does not use the same system, we recommend you pay attention to this post.
When is it necessary to change commas to periods in Microsoft Excel data tables?
As we mentioned before, not all countries use the same way of numbering. Furthermore, in some African regions they do not have a defined standard. For this reason, if you must send an excel template or chart to a location other than yours, It is recommended that you first find out which sign to use.
The programs that belong to Office package, take the writing mode of the system language and region. It is defined when we install Microsoft Windows. If your computer is in Spanish, but you want to use the write method english in Excel, is a valid reason to change the comma to the period.
A common situation is that, when you download a spreadsheet from an external source such as the Internet, the same has been done in a different way you are not used to.
For this and the previous cases, we will show you the following:
Steps to change commas to periods in your Microsoft Excel spreadsheets
There are two methods to perform the interchange between semicolons in the document of Excel. The first will affect only the program, while the second will affect the entire operating system.
Let’s see how to perform each of them:
- Start Microsoft Excel.
- In the Homepage, press the button “Options”. It is located at the end of the side panel. You don’t need to create a blank workbook or open an existing one.
- In the pop-up window, locate and press “Advanced”.
- In the section “Editing options” you will find the box “Use system spacers”, this when activated will use the regional configuration of Windows (which we will change in the second method).
- Turn off this option and swap the semicolon in the decimal and thousands separators as appropriate.
- To finish, press “To accept”.
A second way to do that, is change regional settings. This option is only recommended if you are going to use a decimal separation system other than permanent way.
To do this, follow these steps:
- Click on Start and search “Control Panel”.
- Once this utility is open, select “Watch, language and region”.
- From the two options below, choose “Region”.
- Go to the tab “Administrative”.
- Your language Y region current used by the system.
- To modify this, press “Change system locale”. You will need permissions of administrator.
- In this window, choose the new layout language and region.
- Press “To accept” until leaving.
Note that this change will affect the entire operating system. For example, the way to write some symbols on the keyboard will be affected, as well as the default language of certain programs.
For undo these changes, perform the same steps and use the configuration you used in the beginning.
If you have any questions, leave them in the comments, we will answer you as soon as possible, and it will also be of great help to more members of the community. Thank you! 😉