Have you ever wondered the procedure that is carried out on your computer every time you type an email address in your browser and the display of said online space is returned to you as a result? The fundamental factor that you can see that website is the use of DNS or Domain Name System.
In addition, the concept becomes very important to be able to control the navigation territory of a user, so that they are preconfigured in your router and DDoS can be avoided. The government also carries out a control of external Domain Name Systems so that some web pages cannot be entered, which you could skip using the change of said DNS, which is what we teach you to do from this post.
If you have the need to change these addresses so that you can control access or not to some web sites you should know that even less expert users can do it; it is something very simple. Even so, along the next few lines we will give you all the steps in detail, to be able to configure DNS in Windows 10.
Steps to change DNS in Windows 10 and configure them correctly
These steps that are going to be indicated in the next few lines will make you move between some complex concepts, but if you have Windows 10 as an operating system on your computer and a little desire to learn, it does not have to be complicated. Any user can follow the tutorial and change the Domain Name System to which it connects:
- From the Home screen; press the button “Start” on the keyboard or click on its icon in the start bar.
- Then press on the menu “Setting”, with the icon that is shaped like a cogwheel.
- A menu with several options will be displayed at the bottom. Opens “Network and Internet”, section related to the characteristics of your Internet connections.
- Choose “Change adapter options”.
- The step that follows will be determined by the way your computer is configured to the Internet. In the next window you will find different methods of connecting to the network. If you use a connection cable, you will see an option called “Ethernet”. Click on it.
- Otherwise, if your computer does not use cables and you connect to the wireless network, you must press the option “Wifi” with double click.
- Now click on the button “Properties”, at the bottom of the small window full of options that opens.
- Look for the option “Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP / IPv4)”. Double click on it.
- From all the new options below, choose “Properties”.
- Once inside this menu, we will only have to choose the option “Use the following DNS server address”. It is likely that you have previously checked the option, “Obtain the DNS server address automatically”, since it is the one that is predetermined within the system itself. But by enabling the option that we have indicated, a preferred DNS and an alternative DNS will be disabled.
- Now fill in the spaces with dots with the numerical addresses of the DNSs of your interest.
- Finish by pressing “To accept”.
- You will have to reconnect to the network for the changes to take effect.
List of operational public DNS servers
Of course, we are not going to leave you with the perfect instructions and without resources to use. Below you have an extensive list of addresses of Public Domain Name Servers to which you can connect.
List of the best DNS servers with their addresses:
- Alternate DNS: 220.127.116.11 / 18.104.22.168
- CleanBrowsing: 22.214.171.124 / 126.96.36.199
- Cloudflare: 188.8.131.52 / 184.108.40.206
- Comodo Secure DNS: 220.127.116.11 / 18.104.22.168
- DNS Advantage: 22.214.171.124 / 126.96.36.199
- DNS: 188.8.131.52 / 184.108.40.206
- Dyn: 220.127.116.11 / 18.104.22.168
- Fourth Estate: 22.214.171.124
- FreeDNS: 126.96.36.199 / 188.8.131.52
- Google: 184.108.40.206 / 220.127.116.11
- GreenTeamDNS: 18.104.22.168 / 22.214.171.124
- Hurricane Electric: 126.96.36.199
- IBM Quad9: 188.8.131.52
- Level3: 184.108.40.206 / 220.127.116.11
- Neustar: 18.104.22.168 / 22.214.171.124
- Norton ConnectSafe: 126.96.36.199 / 188.8.131.52
- OpenDNS Home: 184.108.40.206 / 220.127.116.11
- OpenNIC: 18.104.22.168 / 22.214.171.124
- puntCAT: 126.96.36.199
- SafeDNS: 188.8.131.52 / 184.108.40.206
- SmartViper: 220.127.116.11 / 18.104.22.168
- UncensoredDNS: 22.214.171.124 / 126.96.36.199
- Verisign: 188.8.131.52 / 184.108.40.206
- WATCH: 220.127.116.11 / 18.104.22.168
How to fix DNS when not responding in Windows 10?
It may be the case that when configuring DNS the problem appears “DNS server is not responding“. You will see how you are unable to connect to the Internet and you cannot perform the tasks you need. Well, what can we do in this case?
Read on to solve this problem, which is nothing more than a simple repair:
- Press the button “Start”.
- Now write “Control Panel” in the bar.
- Click on the option of the same name that is advised.
- Here, click on “Network and Internet”.
- Now do the same in the option “Center network and sharing”.
- Once there, we choose the option “Change adapter settings”.
- We press right click on network adapter that we use in our team.
- Within the possible options, we mark “Properties”.
- We look for the line “Internet Protocol Version 4” and we select it.
- Also check their “Properties”.
Enter the following DNS:
- 22.214.171.124 or 126.96.36.199
- 188.8.131.52 or 184.108.40.206
- Click on the box “Validate configuration on exit”, which helps us to validate the new configuration before closing the menu.
The configuration could also be fixed by doing a DNS reset through the Command Prompt. This can be interesting for more expert users although it is also very easy to do.
Let’s see it:
- You are going to open, through an executable, a system console. For it:
- We type “cmd” in the “Start” bar.
- Now click on “Symbol of the system”.
- When the black screen opens we introduce the following instructions followed by an “Intro” each:
- ipconfig / flushdns
- ipconfig / registerdns
- ipconfig / release
- ipconfig / renew
- Netsh winsock reset
With this, you would have solved the incident and you could do your Internet browsing normally.
If you have any questions, leave them in the comments, we will answer you as soon as possible, and it will surely be of great help to more members of the community. Thank you! 😉