While it is true, ensuring the safety and performance of your PC’s hard drive is important. Because if it is affected and presents failures, absolutely all the stability of the system would be altered. Which could generate data loss, high expenses and other relevant alterations.
Therefore, you need to keep your hard drives under proper control and check the integrity of these drives. It is also important to be able to repair logical errors in the file system; and this is what it does the CHKDSK command.
Said command is a utility added in Microsoft Windows and DOS. Being of great help to be able to solve different failures that have to do with the hard disk. Therefore, below, we will indicate in detail what this command is about, its functions and the steps to execute to access it.
What is the CHKDSK and what is this command used for?
Taking into account that “CHKDSK”Is the acronym for Check Disk, this command can be defined as a tool that allows analyze, repair and verify disk health or the hard drives of a computer. Being thus, in addition, a utility that is used optimize team performance, as well as its speed and its use.
In detail, it could be said that the Microsoft-owned CHKDSK command offers the functions required to be able to scrutinize the status of hard drives and, as if that were not enough, also of the external storage units that are connected to the PC. These units could be such as: an external hard drive, a pendrive, an SD memory card, etc.
In addition to this, during the analysis process, it is worth noting that the Check Disk look for errors in order to repair them, later. In this way, it proceeds to check the status of the hard disk to increase the performance and capacity of the unit in question.
Which means that, in short, the CHKDSK command is used to fix hard drives, Commonly. These drives are generally of the HDD type and it is also compatible with SSD solid drives, as well as removable storage drives.
Therefore, it basically allows solve problems When the disk is running slow, the drive is not recognized by the system, files cannot be moved on the disk, etc.
What are the main functions of the CheckDisck tool?
Once you understand the uses of this very important Windows tool, you will be able to have some idea of the main functions it provides. However, it is relevant to know what these functions are, specifically. Which, allow to obtain valuable benefits for the effective control and performance of a computer.
These functions are:
- Scan and restore hard drives on Windows computers that only operate under versions 7, 8 and 10.
- Troubleshoot when The system does not recognize the unit. Just like when this unit displays RAW format, the disc runs very slow, it does not allow to move files on the disc.
- In Windows 10, it has a function to analyze and check for NTFS disk errors.
- Guarantees optimal performance of the hard disks using the command line.
- May perform an offline scan of all disks, accompanied by this parameter: CHKDSK / OFFLINESCANANDFIX. Which means you don’t need to stay connected to the Internet.
- Collect and erase data that the analysis tool or “scan” does not use.
Thanks to these functions and many others it contains, the CHKDSK is one of the most important and useful commands in the Microsoft operating system.
In this way, it provides the following benefits:
- It is a tool that can be used by anyone that, even, does not have relevant knowledge regarding computer science.
- Shows users the integrity of the hard drive in real time.
- Repair, completely, logical errors you have the computer’s hard drive.
- Solution to physical problems showing the hard drives in the system.
For this and much more, it is advisable to use the Check Disk command when any sign of a problem in the file system of hard drives. Even before using programs or tools outside the operating system.
Steps to access the CHKDSK and analyze a disk for errors in Windows
Taking into account that to access this command it can only be done from a computer with Windows 7, 8 or 10; We indicate that there are three ways to enter this utility, which are:
Using the command line
- This alternative simply consists of open CMD with administrative privileges.
- In order to do so later, enter the term corresponding to the command there, that is, “chkdsk“
- Finally, it only remains to press the “Enter”.
Through the Run command
- Mainly, you will have to press the keys “Windows” Y “R”In order to open the Run window.
- After that, type the term in question “chkdsk”.
- Finally, click on the button “To accept“Or just press”Enter”.
In Windows 10, you can use the search bar
- Click on the search icon (a magnifying glass, specifically) that is located in the lower left corner of your PC screen, right next to the Start option.
- In the bar where they indicate “Type here to search“, You must type the term”chkdsk”(In lower case letters).
- Later, select the respective option to start its execution (right click and “Run as administrator”) and that’s it.
Now, once you access this utility as administrator, you will only be able to see all the information it gives you regarding the disc. That is, it will indicate the type of disk and the integrity of the system, but it will not execute anything beyond that.
So, in order to analyze the disk and identify errors in the OS, you must proceed as follows:
- In order to check the unit you want, you have to write CHKDSK followed by the letter of the unit to study, then add: a colon, a space and the necessary parameter to execute a specific action with this command. An example of it:
- After this, press the key “Enter”From the computer and with that, the disk review or the repair of the errors on it will start.
Finally, it is necessary to limit the operation of the combination specified above, so that We indicate the following:
- CHKDSK D: This indicates to do a review of the chosen disk, so that the command gives information about its state and the integrity of the file system. As you will see, it does not execute any action because a certain parameter has not been specified.
- CHKDSK D: / f: By including this parameter “/ f”, you are telling the system that perform a review of the selected disk plus, fix the bugs that it gets into the file system, of course, in case of any failure.
If you have any questions, leave them in the comments, we will answer you as soon as possible, and it will surely be of great help to more members of the community. Thank you! 😉