One of the sections that most interest mobile device users today, is security. To protect the information that travels through the Internet, use is made of the communication encryption What is it, what is it for and how to make our conversations more private with this technique?
Privacy is a fundamental element in every application. For this reason, it is necessary to opt for secure messaging applications that keep your digital communications protected.
Today it is usual fear for the safety of our mobiles. If you want to know more about it, continue reading this cybersecurity course.
What is a communications encryption and how does it work in computing?
It is important to know the terminology to understand how privacy works in messaging applications. What is a communications encryption and how does it work in computing ?. Information encryption is a process by which the content exposed in a message can be hidden. To have access to files, data, text, images or videos sent over the Internet, it is necessary to perform a prior interaction on the device.
Ancient civilizations already used encryption methods to send secret messages. Today, it is an indispensable element that is responsible for providing protection to digital communications. In computing, there are two types of cryptographic algorithms. Encryption symmetrical and encryption asymmetric. First of all, the symmetric encryption is one that converts a simple text message into a encrypted message, which requires a key to access to its content. So you can convert it back to text.
This key is generated with each session. The receiving user uses the same password to access the message. However, it cannot be reused for future encrypted messages. On the other hand, the asymmetric encryption. Unlike the first case, asymmetric encryption generates a public key and a private key. The message becomes encrypted with the public key. To decrypt it, you must provide the key private. Sent messages are kept safe, without compromising the integrity of its users.
Why is it important to encrypt communications in today’s digital environment?
Online privacy is a right. That is why messaging applications strive to shield your security options to avoid spies or computer attackers. But nevertheless, Why is it important to encrypt communications in today’s digital environment?.
The cryptographic algorithms provide confidentiality to messages leaving the device. In such a way that they cannot be easily read in case of being intercepted by a third party. The vast majority of messaging applications encrypt messages so automatic. So you can protect any type of file, without the need for a specific configuration.
What are the main techniques used to encrypt communications?
The instant messaging apps run in background multiple security features to protect the activity of its users.
Below we show you which are the main techniques used to encrypt communications:
- Open source code: A variety of application vendors release the source code of their apps as an indication of its integrity. Open source makes it easy for the application to be tested by experts in computer security matter, which are responsible for detailing which are the most common vulnerabilities in the code.
- Default encryption: Although many messaging applications have encryption enabled, by default, there are many others that do not. It is essential that when downloading an app, you check your privacy settings to confirm that your messages can be encrypted.
- Metadata decrease: Metadata is the fingerprint that a user leaves after using an application on the device. In the case of messaging applications, the metadata collects information about who you talk to, for how long and at what time. Today, certain apps collect a minimal amount of metadata.
- End-to-end encryption: It implies that the messages sent through the application are encrypted. Only the recipient and the sender of the message will be able to access the content of the message. Thanks to the end-to-end encryption function, third parties cannot decrypt sent files or texts.
List of the apps with the most secure communication encryption to talk
Today, applications such as WhatsApp, Telegram or Facebook Messenger have updated their functions Privacy & Security. However, in the market for Android and ios It is possible to find less known apps that prioritize the integrity of the user.
Here is a list of the apps with the most secure communication encryption to talk:
It is a secure messaging application that it was previously known as TextSecure Private Messenger. The app is free and is available for both devices Android as iOS. Heads the list, because it uses a own data infrastructure to send messages securely over the Internet.
Signal has end-to-end encryption. Thus, only the recipient and sender have access to the content of the message. Also, the feature doesn’t just apply to text messages. It is also compatible with voice calls and video calls.
Other notable features of Signal are:
- It has open source, so the application is periodically reviewed to keep security at high levels.
- You can program the application so that sent and received messages disappear after a certain time.
- Metadata storage is minimal. The application only requires information that is essential for its operation, such as the telephone number.
- You can add a password to Signal to lock it. In this way, nobody will be able to access the application in case of theft or loss.
It is a free instant messaging application. It is available for Android and iOS. In addition, it also has a paid version, especially for companies and businesses. However, you have a 30-day free access to the Premium version. Like Signal, Wickr me also offers a end-to-end encryption feature. Initially, it only worked for messages and files sent in the free version. However, as of 2018, encryption was included in calls and voice messages.
Other features of the app are:
- You can detect when other users have taken a screenshot of any message that the sender has sent.
- Turn off screen overlay to avoid any unwanted interaction. Although this function is only available on Android devices.
- iOS has a unique feature, and it is to block third party keyboards. Therefore it prevents external applications from getting the written data from the Wickr Me app.
- Files sent via Wickr Me are deleted on a regular basis, and cannot be retrieved with special tools. Also, the owner has the possibility to delete the messages manually.
Dust – Private Texting
The application, formerly known as Cyber Dust, receives its name since the messages that are sent through the app disappear after 100 seconds after being read. It is available for free for both iOS and Android devices. Dust it also uses end-to-end encryption, for both individual and group messages. However, does not have the function of making voice or video calls.
Its most outstanding characteristics are:
- Servers of the application do not permanently save messages sent from the device.
- Sender has the possibility to delete sent messages of the recipients’ devices.
- Dust takes care of alert you when a user has taken a screenshot, as long as it is a device Android. The sender’s name disappears from the message.
- You can configure the application of Dust for what delete messages as they are read, or after 24 hours.
If you have any questions, leave them in the comments, we will answer you as soon as possible, and it will also be of great help to more members of the community. Thank you! 😉