It is important to take into account each of the concepts in order to understand more easily what they are computer networks, which today have become a fundamental part for their operation and for their users.
A network It is considered as a structure that has a specific pattern for its funtionability. While a computer is a electronic machine whose mission is to process a large amount of data and that allows the execution of different sequences indicated by its users.
Due to the importance that they have currently taken, they can carry out endless advanced activities, here we are going to explain a little more about what they are and what their workings are.
What is a computer network and what is it used for?
Also known as computer network or computer network, is defined as a set of equipment that can be computers or devices that are connected through a series of cables, waves, signals or any other method that allows interaction between two or more teams.
These types of connections are generally used to share any kind of information and data as they are files, disks, printers, programs, services such as databases, chat, games, emails among many others.
Each of the computers connected by this system is called nodes. Also, like everything communication process, it is necessary to have a transmitter, a message and the receiver so that all this can be carried out.
The main purpose of being able to create this is to allow computers or devices may share resources and information remotely in a safe way and with a great data transmission speed with the aim of reducing costs.
Computer networks offer different utilities to its users, among which we can mention the following:
They allow a easy communication through different tools like email, instant messaging, chat applications, among other.
Hardware component sharing
It offers the possibility of making a sharing the same hardware component using equipment like printers, scanners, consoles, among others.
Access to information
It allows its users to have a access to more information in an easy and fast way through Internet services.
It gives you the possibility to perform a data and information exchange in a safe and fast way. In addition, to offer you a excellent speed when sharing information of any kind.
Offers a program availability for any type of user on the network regardless of their physical location.
History of computer networks: When were they created and how have they evolved?
Before the 1960s there was only one way to communicate and it was the remote access via local phone line. While in the early 1960s some isolated computers, which were for exclusive use and which could be accessed through a cable.
Two years later in 1962 the first working group was created “Intergalactic Computer Network” in Spanish “The intergalactic computer network.” All of this began to represent a precursor to the ARPANET (Advanced Research Projects Agency Network) what was a computer network that was conceived by the Department of Defense of the United States government with the aim of power increase technological advances.
In 1969, the first connection of ARPANET where 4 university institutions in the United States managed to connect to a kbits per second rate. And four years later ARPANET it was possible to establish how the first connection outside the United States., specifically in Norway.
For the years 1974 what would be the term “Internet” which was created by Vinton Cerf, Yogen Dalal, and Carl Sunshine from Stanford University. Two years later John murphy, belonging to Datapoint Corporation, he conceived ARCNET, as the first system to share storage devices.
By 1983, Jon Postel and Paul Mockapetris they conceived what is known as the domain name system (DNS), as well as extensions.org, .gov and .com. While for the year 1991 Internet is open to the public through the creation of world Wide Web, which was a very simple graphical interface to use.
Types of computer networks in computing: How many are there and how are they used?
On many occasions when we want to install a computer network in our team we find different types of existing networks, this is where we ask ourselves: Which one should I install and what is each one used for?
According to this here we are going to teach you each of the types of existing networks and what each of them means:
- Personal Area Network (PAN): It is mainly used for tight spaces where few devices are operated and the distance between them is not greater than 10 meters. Thus allowing a simple, practical and fast communication.
- WAN network: When we refer to a WAN connection we refer to different LAN’s connections that are interconnected with each other. By doing this we are simply getting a WAN connection. It is used mainly by organizations of private use and allows to provide network connections in very wide areas.
- Local area network (LAN): Its main function is connect a group of computers to each other within a small geographic area, where it allows a exchange of data and resources between them at high speed and is normally used by companies.
- Metropolitan Area Network (MAN): In cities there are usually different LAN and WAN networks that interconnect with each other, but there is a single network that allows the integration of different services through the transmission of data and which is called as MAN. This has the function connect the different LAN networks within a parameter of 50 kilometers.
- Campus Area Network (CAN): This network has been implemented to work in geographic spaces like in industrial areas, universities, parks, large spaces belonging to the same place.
What are the basic components to create a PC network?
Computer networks They are a set of equipment that interconnects with each other either to share some kind of information or data transmission at high speed with the aim of reducing costs.
However, all this is made up of a series of components such as the following:
- The server: It is the part that takes care of control the entire operation of the network, as well as running the operating system of it. It also allows users to access resources.
- Cards of red: Also known as network adapters, which have the function of connecting the different devices together so that they can carry out the transfer of data and information from one device to another.
- Workstation: In this case, it is each of the computers that allows users to access network servers. Any computer can become a workstation as long as it is connected and has communication with the network.
- Network node: Refers to whatever element is found connected and with communication to some network.
If you have any questions, leave them in the comments, we will answer you as soon as possible, and it will also be of great help to more members of the community. Thank you! 😉