Few people know that W7 can be booted from USB. This allows obtaining different benefits for the user due to the mobility it offers and the non-use of equipment resources.
For this reason It is convenient that you know the step by step to configure the BIOS and thus you can boot Windows 7 from a flash memory. This guide can be found in the following paragraphs.
But this is not all, we will also teach you to create a USB from scratch to start W7 Y We will show you the best tools to boot a USB memory. Check out.
Learn step by step how to configure the BIOS to boot Windows 7 from USB
Before starting to configure the BIOS to start Windows 7 from a memory USB, you will need to have a pendrive that generates the boot process and has a capacity of 16 to 20 GB, for an architecture of 32 or 64 bits respectively. You will also need your computer to have a processor of at least 1 GHz and 2 MB RAM. You do not have to forget that the space on the hard disk that you must have empty has to be around 18 GB.
Refering to graphics card, you must ensure that the same DirectX 9 support. You must take into account that the mouse does not work in the BIOS, so you will have to use the directional arrows on the keyboard to move through the different options that you will see on the screen. Every time you want to click you will have to press the key Enter. Once you have all the requirements met, you will have to turn off the computer, connect the USB memory and then turn on the PC.
Next, you will have to press the key Esc, O well F2, F8, F9 or F10, depending on the hardware of your equipment (these indications will appear on the screen, so you should not worry). Once you have entered the BIOS you will have to select the name of the USB that you connected. You can find this in the section UEFI. Go to option Hard Drive BBS Priorities and click on it. Choose the flash memory you have connected and then choose And it is.
It will take you to a new screen in which you must choose Boot Option as the first choice. Then you will find a menu in which you will have to select the option Save & Exit, which is usually the key F10. To finish press Enter, this will cause the computer to boot from memory USB.
Steps to create a bootable USB with Windows 7 from scratch
You will have different options to create a bootable USB, since you can use the same operating system to boot the memory or a third-party tool.
If you want to do it through the command prompt you will have to follow these steps:
- Press the keys together Windows and R.
- Then write the cmd in the command line bar and click To accept.
- Enter the command DISKPART and press Enter.
- Click on Yes when the window appears for you you grant the administrator permission and you can continue with the task.
- Then write LIST DISK.
- You will see a list with the different disks that you have connected to the computer, the disk being number 0 that of your computer (that is, it is the hard disk, so you should not touch this element at any time). Choose Disc 1, for this you will have to write SELECT DISK 1.
- Run the command CLEAN.
- This way you are done with cleaning the memory. What will be left is to partition it so that the system recognizes it as the main one. For this reason you will have to write CREATE PARTITION PRIMARY.
- After a few minutes enter ACTIVE and then FORMAT FS = NTFS.
- Once you have indicated the format you want, you will have to execute ASSING and then EXIT.
- To finish, you will have to re-enter DISKPART and write xcopy to boot the pendrive. Finish by typing EXIT.
If you wish boot USB through a third-party tool you can choose Rufus.
Which you will have to download for free and follow these steps:
- Connect the USB to the computer.
- Choose in the device field the name of the flash memory.
- Then, select file system, which will be by default FAT32.
- Finally, choose the cluster size and click on Start.
- After a few minutes you will have your USB memory booted and ready to be used.
List of the best programs to create free bootable USB
We will show you below a list of the best programs to create bootable USB:
Windows 7 USB Download Tool
We couldn’t start this list without the official tool offered by Microsoft. This software that you will have to download to your computer will allow you to boot your USB in a few steps. Thanks to its intuitive interface, you are going to connect the flash memory and then click on the option Run. When you are done with this, you should follow a short guide to help you finish the task. Its download is free and does not require many storage resources or memory consumption RAM from your Pc.
With this tool you can use the memory USB to start W7 on any computer. Supports layouts for Windows ISO either 32 or 64 bit, making it a good alternative when booting a USB. Its use is free and it has updates that you can download directly from its original website.
When you need to install multiple operating systems on a USB, this tool is ideal because it allows partitioning the storage to incorporate several programs. So every time you want to start an OS that you have hosted in flash memory, you just have to choose which one you want and then run it. It has updates that allow you to correct errors and improve its performance.
If you have any questions, leave them in the comments, we will answer you as soon as possible, and it will be of great help to more members of the community. Thank you! 😉