The flagship operating system, in its most recent iterations, comes packed with a range of features that are generally underutilized. In order to teach you a little about them, we have created this short guide so that, step by step, you can pair your android devices, so that you take better advantage of its underlying ecosystem.
The function of Nearby devices of Android, allows you to introduce new configurations to them remotely and from a different element (A phone that configures a Tablet and vice versa; Chromecast dongle setup, Wear Os devices, among others). Suppose that for years you have used an Android phone such as the Google Pixel 2, in which you have established accounts and passwords for the different services offered by the platform and you purchase a new item such as a Samsung Galaxy Tab.
With the option “Nearby devices “, it is possible to migrate all the information that resides on your first device to the second in a matter of seconds, via bluetooth. That even includes calendars, files that are in your Google Drive, phone numbers in your calendar, so that you can manage your information from either device.
Steps to configure nearby devices on Android smartphones and tablets
It is important to note that this method is for devices capable of supporting Android versions from Marshmallow (6.0) onwards.
Also that both devices must be sufficiently charged before starting the process, since the volume of data that is transferred is usually thick, if the case is that you have many applications installed in the first one.
Let’s see the steps to follow in the following models: Samsung Galaxy Tab and Google Pixel 2
- If you have turned on the Samsung Galaxy Tab for the first time or if you have restarted it from the factory, the operating system will show you some initial options, among which one that reads “Do you have another device?”.
- Touching it, Bluetooth antenna will be activated of your device and it will try to pair with another one that is nearby.
- At Google Pixel 2, you must look through the menu options of “Settings“, one that reads“Configure Nearby Device”.
- The phone will search nearby for your Samsung Galaxy TabOnce you have found it, select it.
- As soon as both devices have paired via Bluetooth, a code will appear on both screens.
- On the device from which you will migrate the information, touch the button “Next”From the bottom.
- On the Google Pixel 2, press “Copy”At the bottom of the screen. On the Samsung Galaxy Tab, you should enter your Gmail password, to verify the registration of the new device to your account so that it can be synchronized.
- Both devices will display a screen with the message that your data is being copied from one to another.
- Once the copy is complete, it will appear on both devices that the transfer was successful, so you can start using your Samsung Galaxy Tab for things that you find uncomfortable to do on your Google Pixel 2.
Other methods to make these backups
Google is not just a great software or hardware developer (In the case of its current flagship phones), it also hosts powerful servers for cloud storage, which allow us to upload our most essential user data so that we can use it on the number of devices we want.
With the function of Google Backup, It is possible (Using Wi-Fi or our mobile data, depending on the preference of each person), upload periodic backups of our user data to the Google cloud, so that when we go to activate a new device, it only costs us enter our email address and password so that it downloads all the pertinent information to our profile.
Let’s say instead of a Google Pixel 2, you own a Samsung Galaxy S7. In general, the brand’s devices are accompanied by a PC application called Samsung Kies. In Kies, it is possible to back up our information manually and then download it to another Samsung device.
In other times, for transfer contacts from phone to phone (or device to device), the usual thing was that We will save this list in the internal memory of the same, via export. Hence a file extension .vscf, which we can copy to other devices and from them, search in the app for “Contacts“, the option of“to import”, In order to load the copied contact list.
Problems and solutions when setting up nearby devices on Android
Let’s see some of the problems that can arise in this operation and some tips to reduce possible errors when pairing Android phones.
The behavior of the devices in this regard may vary depending on how close or far they are from each other, the one they have, among others.
So that the transfer of your data from one device to another has no problems, always keep the Bluetooth and Wi-Fi functions on and the devices very close.
The transfer is canceled
In the event that the software on one of your devices is exhibiting unusual behavior, try clearing the dalvik cache on the recovery mode; once you’ve done that, try the transfer again.
The device to which I want to transfer the data does not appear on my usual device: Your usual device may not detect the new device in the vicinity, so you must pair them via Bluetooth, outside of the data restoration option.
If you have any questions, leave them in the comments, we will answer you as soon as possible, and it will be of great help to more members of the community. Thank you! 😉