Surely you did not know that mobiles iPhone have excellent support for VPN (virtual private network). The PPTP, L2TP / IPSec and Cisco IPSec protocols are supported. Can connect you to OpenVPN networks and other types of VPNs with third-party applications.
A VPN is a Virtual Private Network (VPN). It is a way to protect your identity when browsing the Internet. When you connect to a Wi-Fi network not secure, any hacker with the right arsenal could intercept a lot of your personal data. You can know everything about yourself: What you say, what you do, and even usernames and passwords; the reality is that today you are vulnerable.
These virtual private networks that allow you to exchange information with other users in a secure way. These networks are often used within an organization to allow the secure communication of confidential information over a public network. Now thanks to technology it is possible to configure a network of this type on your iPhone device. With this tutorial, which I bring for you, you will learn on your own how to configure, create and connect to a VPN, through a series of very simple steps, and that you manage to get the most out of your iPhone, enjoying the exchange of information with your friends.
What is a VPN on your iPhone smartphone and what is it for?
These servers will allow you to change the IP address that websites will see when you visit them., which will guarantee a minimum of anonymity. In addition, for good VPNs, the connection will be encrypted. The data sent and received by your phone, tablet, will therefore be unreadable by a data hacker.
These networks add a layer of security between your iPhone and the Internet.. In fact, by using a VPN, it is no longer your mobile phone that is the target of the attack, but the Virtual Private Network. These are generally very well protected to prevent your servers from crashing as a result of an attack. This will make your browsing smoother.
When using this type of security services, it is no longer your IP address that is known in the sites you visit, but the IP address of your VPN. As a result, sites can no longer know which country you are in, what your browser is, your screen resolution, etc.
Present you dear reader, never forget clear your browser cookies before connecting to a site, otherwise it may remember you.
Steps to create and configure a Virtual Private Network on your iPhone or iPad device
Next dear reader, I’m going to show you the steps you should do to establish a VPN on your iPhone or iPad cell phone, so that you live a peaceful experience when browsing the internet and being connected with other users using the different applications, let’s get into the following:
- The first thing you should do is go to Settings of your iPhone or iPad mobile device and look for the option “General”.
- Now you must move to the section area “VPN“.
*Important note: In the case of not having a VPN connected, the software will indicate the following message “Without connection“
. With that said, you must click on “Add VPN configuration“.
- Here, you must record the information of your service provider that you have hired.
- You already have your VPN configured on your iPhone device. You saw that it was simple and in a few steps.
What is the best VPN app for iPhone?
In the Apple application store we can find hundreds of free and paid VPN services. That can make your choice a bit complicated due to the typical ambition of always wanting to have the best, but for that we are here to help you.
If you are looking for a quality virtual private network, the best thing to do is download NordVPN, a server based in Panama that is currently considered the best in the world at its task. This not only allows you to maintain the anonymity you want when you download a tool of this type, but it also has extra functions that considerably improve your service.
One of the most striking things is its Kill Switch, what cuts the internet connection automatically in case the VPN stops working, thus ensuring that not for a second your IP is compromised. In addition, the location of its headquarters in Panama is ideal because this is a country that is not part of the so-called “14 eyes”, those nations that share information about what their citizens search for on the internet.
Using this app is very easy since you simply have to download it from the Apple Store, enter it, choose from one of the 3,200 servers in 60 different countries and touch the switch that indicates the activation of the server. Once it connects, you can start browsing with the total security that your IP will be completely secured and protected.
About VPN protocols for iPhone and iPad
You can use your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch to connect to a VPN. Here you will get all the information about the protocols, authentication methods and certificates that you device can use to connect to private servers.
Your device can use the following authentication methods and protocols:
- L2TP / IPSec with user authentication using MS-CHAPV2 password, RSA SecurID or CryptoCard and machine authentication using shared secret.
- For iOS 9 and later, protocol PPTP with user authentication by password MS-CHAPV2, RSA SecurID or CRYPTOCard.
- Cisco IPSec with user authentication by password, RSA SecurID or CryptoCard and machine authentication by shared secret and certificates. Cisco IPSec works with VPN on demand for the domains that you specify.
You can also use third-party apps available on the App Store. These applications can use other protocols.
What are the advantages of a VPN for iPhone and iPad devices?
To conclude, here is a brief summary of all the advantages of VPN for your iPhone and iPad devices:
- Access your local network when you’re on the go – Access all your home network computers as if you were on the same local network, even if you’re on the other side of the world.
- Hide your internet activity– All traffic between you and your VPN is encrypted, no one can see what you are doing. All the websites and web services that you access do not see your IP address, but rather the VPN address.
- Access sites with geo-blocked content: you will be able to see the content of those portals that are in other parts of the world and for some reason have blocked yours.
- Browse public Wi-Fi in complete safety– No risk of being spied on by anyone (public Wi-Fi networks are very frequent spying sites, the security level is very low). Bypassing the censorship of the country you are in.
- Download files– We won’t lie to each other, many people use VPN connections to download files on Torrent network. Even if you download files with fully legal content, your Internet Service Provider (ISP) may restrict bandwidth for services like BitTorrent and make your downloads extremely slow. When going through a private network, you find fast downloads, the ISP only sees an encrypted connection between you and the VPN.
If you have any questions, leave them in the comments, we will answer you as soon as possible, and it will surely be of great help to more members of the community. Thank you! 😉