People who are familiar with the Windows operating system constantly flock to the key combination “Ctrl + Alt + Del”, since in this way a very useful command is executed for each of the users. Through this mechanism we can, among other things, perform a RAM cleaning.
When a computer starts up, it takes a few minutes for it to be operational, this is because the operating system has to do a memory test. If we need to force close the programs in use and avoid “Restart” we can use this tool “Ctrl + Alt + Del”.
In this article we will show you all the details and shortcuts that exist for the MacOS operating system in its equivalent to the Windows command.
What is the origin of the command Contrl-ALT-Delete on all computers?
When the startup process of our computer starts, it must go through a memory test, which takes time and if we had to count all these minutes that we lose the task, we would realize the incidence that we are in front of our screen without doing nothing.
As it happens today when engineer David Bradley he was developing the first PC with his team, and through the various trials and errors that they carried out with the programming, every time he had to restart his computer he wasted time because he had to pass the memory test and component analysis.
Realizing that he was wasting a lot of time, he designed an internal code for his equipment, so that with a combination of 3 keys and using both hands I can skip the process of the different tests at the beginning.
In this way he used “Ctrl + Alt + Del” taking it as a security measure since this function could not be accidentally executed.
As the first PCs were designed for IBM, this company took this tool as its own in the development of these computers. In this way it was installed to this day.
Although there is another version, in which Bill Gates was asked directly at Harvard University in 2017 when he was speaking at a seminar, the reason for this combination.
The tycoon explained it was due to a ditto keyboard layout in which the person in charge of this task did not want to add an additional key so that this function could exist. Gates clarified that for him it would have been better if there was a single key and not the combination of these three.
What are the differences of using this command on Windows or MacOS?
There are differences in the control of this command between a Windows operating system and a MacOS.
In the first OS, the tool has all its most important functions summarized in this key combination, while for a Mac computer, the same functions are separated, so There is no “Ctrl + Alt + Del” command in MacOS operating system.
Next, we detail the functions that we find in Windows by selecting “Ctrl + Alt + Del”:
- To block: When we need our computer to be locked without turning it off, we can use this shortcut.
- Change user: This function is intended when there are two or more users involved using the PC, each needing to be separated without training.
- Sign off: We will use this function, unlike the previous point where another user immediately enters, here what we are going to do is exit directly regardless of whether another user will enter or not.
- Change Password: We can change the different passwords for the login or the operating system.
- Task Manager: This is perhaps the most used part of the command, thanks to this section we can free up space in the RAM memory when it is full or the processor performance is low, you can also verify the performance of the CPU and memory among others.
- Control application history Through the use of its resources, control the control of the startup programs and their status at startup as well as for the different users what is the resource expenditure for each one and you can also control the detail of the applications that are in action.
- Can be analyzed the different adapters that are or are not running at the time of control, as well as we can access the detail of the performance of the CPU, memory and disk, defined by user.
List of all Ctrl + Alt + Del functions on MacOS computers
As we mentioned earlier, on computers with MacOS operating system the functions of the command “Ctrl + Alt + Del” Windows are separate.
Next we will show you the list of all the functions included in this control on a Mac:
Lock the computer
While it is true that MacOS does not have the function of locking the computer, what we can do is turn off the screen. This situation is ideal for when we have to retire for a few minutes and need to have our Mac locked.
We will have to use this combination:
- “Ctrl + Shift + Media Eject Button”
Open the startup window in a user account
In Windows we know this function as changing user, to perform this action we will have to use the command:
- “Shift + Command + H”
In a MacOS operating system we have two possibilities, one of which is to close the user account, but we will need the confirmation of the same for this we will use:
- “Shift + Command + Q”
When we don’t need confirmation, the key combination will be:
- “Option + Shift + Command + Q”
Force close an application
This combination would be necessary when some of the apps we have installed on our Mac freeze. For this we will carry out this command:
- “Option + Command + Esc”
Close an app
If we need to close in a normal way an application we can use the keys:
Now, when what we are looking for is to close all applications and restart the computer we will use:
- “Control + Command + Media Eject Button”
If what we want is to close all apps and turn off the computer, we will have to use:
- “Control + Option + Command + Power Button”
Empty the trash
Although this option is not in the comparison with the Windows operating system since it has to be used differently than with the command “Ctrl + Alt + Del”On Mac, we can relate it to freeing space in the RAM (which is included in the Windows command).
To empty the trash on our Mac we will use the key combination:
- “Shift + Command + Delete”
When our Mac freezes we will have to use this option, for this we will use the combination of the following keys:
- “Control + Command + Power Button”
Sleep and shutdown
For those situations where we need to perform some of the actions mentioned we will use:
- “Control + Power Button”
Booting from an external drive
To start directly from a pendrive or any other type of external storage to our equipment, we are going to press the key “C” when booting up the Mac.
If what we need is that the start is through a single user, the command will be:
If what we want is to start through verbose mode:
Other commands used
The combinations that we present below do not belong or are not comparable with the Windows command “Ctrl + Alt + Del”, but it is good to keep them in mind so that they save us time on our Mac.
Here are the most used combinations:
- When we need to underline a text “Command + U”
- To write in bold “Command + B”
- If we need to write in italics “Command + I”
- When we have to place the cursor at the beginning of the document “Fn + Left Arrow”
- To go to the end of the document or its nature “Fn + Right Arrow”
- If we need to locate ourselves at the beginning of a paragraph or a sentence “Control + A”
- If we have to go to the end of the paragraph or sentence “Control + E”
- We can go back one page of a document using “Fn + Up Arrow”
- We advance one page with “Fn + Down Arrow”
If you have any questions, leave them in the comments, we will answer you as soon as possible, and it will also be of great help to more members of the community. Thank you! 😉