So you can add fields to a table in an Access database we have prepared this post for you. This will help you know what this tool is about and what it is for.
Too you will find information about the types of fields you can create and how you should carry out the step by step to incorporate them into a table of Access.
When you finish reading this article you will be able to understand the operation that a field has within a database and how you can run the wizard search to find information easily.
What are fields in Access tables and what are they for?
The fields in the boards from Access are the sections in which you must include the data to work with them. This way you will be able choose the format, the type and set properties of the same. In addition, you will be able to create an assistant search that will help you find other fields, inside or outside the same table.
Types of fields in Access What are all that can be created?
The types of fields that you can create in a Microsoft Access table are:
- Short or rich text. You can write up to 255 characters including alphanumeric data in titles and texts.
- Long text. Before this type of field was called memo, but since the last version it began to appear this way. It is used until 64 thousand first characters with a maximum capacity of 1 GB.
- Number. These numerical data may contain between 1 to 16 bytes.
- Large number. Unlike the previous group, this type of field contains 8 bytes and is used for large number data.
- Date and Time. You will be able to include the date and time as long as it does not exceed 8 bytes.
- Extended date and time. In this case the capacity you will have of the encoded string will be 42 bytes.
- Monetary data you can include them in fields with up to 4 decimal places. Its limit is 8 bytes.
- Self-numbering. Refers to the value it generates Access for each new record. This number is unique.
- If not. Microsoft Access uses the for data false and the -1 for true, in this way you will be able to work with Boolean data.
- OLE object. The fields in this group refer to images, to objects of ActiveX already graphics that are used in other compatible applications Microsoft.
- Hyperlink. You will have the possibility to include up to 8192 hyperlinks of documents, files LAN, from Internet even from a local team. The maximum capacity of these fields is 2048 characters.
- Attachment data. The possibility of including images, documents, files Y graphics, among other elements. You must bear in mind that the capacity is 2 GB.
- These fields are created when using an expression that uses information from multiple fields, you can choose different results from the source expression.
- Search assistant. When you have an empty field you can run a search wizard, to which you can configure it to return data according to the criteria you enter.
Learn step by step how to create fields in a Microsoft Access table
To create fields in an Access table you will have to follow this guide:
- Opens the table in which you want to create the fields.
- Choose The mode Layout view.
- A matrix will appear with columns and rows. You will also see the name of the table, if you have not entered one yet, it will appear Table 1.
- You’ll find in the first column Field Name and in the second Type of data. Go to the latter and click on the drop-down menu.
- You will see a list with all the options you have to choose the type of field. Select the one that suits you and start filling it.
If you have any questions, leave them in the comments, we will answer you as soon as possible, and it will surely be of great help to more members of the community. Thank you! 😉