When do you want customize W8 desktop you can use icons created by you. For this you will need to know what are the dimensions and format of the graphics that are compatible with this SW.
That is why we have prepared this article for you, in which You can find the step by step of how to create custom icons with Microsoft Paint and Adobe Photoshop. But this is not all, we will also show you a complete guide on how to change an icon in Windows 8.
If you want to know online platforms and computer tools that will help you with this task, you should continue reading.
What are the dimensions and format of the desktop icons?
The dimensions of the icons will depend on size.
Which can be:
- Small or classic: 32 × 32 pixels.
- Medium: 48 × 48 pixels.
- Big: 96 × 96 pixels.
Regarding the format, the icons are binary files, whose extension is .ico. These items are category Raster image, so you can use it in Microsoft Paint, Windows Picture and Fax Viewer and in Adobe photoshop. They support a 32-bit structure, 24-bit color, and 8-bit transparency, making them ideal files for use in windows 8 desktop icons.
Discover step by step how to create custom icons for your folders in Windows 8
If you want to create icons to customize your folders in W8, you will be able to use any of these 2 tools that we mention below:
The steps that you must do with this platform are the following:
- Go to the button Start and writes Paint, when the application appears you will have to click on it.
- Once you have open Microsoft Paint go to the tab View and select, in the tool group Show or hide, the function Grid.
- Next, you will have to click on Change the size.
- Choose the option Pixels and then select in the boxes Horizontal Y Vertical the number 32.
- Activate the function Keep aspect ratio.
- When you are done you will have to click on To accept.
- Right now, having too small a canvas, you will have to activate the zoom clicking on the icon represented by the magnifying glass.
- Draw the icon.
- When you have finished click on Archive and then select Save as.
- Choose the option Other formats and enter the name you want for your file.
- Before saving your work, write at the end of the file name the extension .ico.
- Click on Save as type and choose 256-color bitmap.
- Enter the destination location, then tap save and then in To accept.
When you want to create an icon in PS you should follow this guide:
- Opens $ and go to the tab Archive.
- Then select New.
- Enter the fields Width Y Height the number 256, prior to that you will have to choose the option Pixels.
- Enter the name of the file you are creating. When you have entered all the requirements, click To accept.
- Make the drawing using the tools of .
- When you finish, you will have to go to Archive and then click on save.
- Change the file size to 32 pixels, choose the format .GIF and clicks again save.
- Go to explore files Windows 8.
- Choose the PS file you just created and change the extension .GIF by .ICO.
How to change the icon of a folder in Windows 8? Learn here step by step
If what you want is change the icon of a folder on the Windows 8 desktop you will have to select it and press the the right button of the mouse. Then, you will have to go to the option Properties and click on it. Choose the tab Personalize and select the button Change icon.
A window will open with all the available icons, you can choose from that sector or (if you have created one according to the steps that we show you before) you will have to click on Examine. The file explorer will open. So you will have to find the location of the file you created and then click on To accept.
List of the best online programs and tools to create custom icons
We will show you below the best programs and tools you can use to create icons and use them in a custom way in Windows 8:
The same as Adobe photoshop This tool is for professional use, so you can create any type of icon regardless of color or design. You can add sophisticated textures and graphics to it. Its use is paid, but you can try a free version so that you know all its icon design tools, among which the vectorization, the rectangle and the ellipse stand out so you can add depth and color.
This is an application with which you can manage and edit icons and any kind of small image for Windows 8. It is characterized by being able to work not only with format ICO, but also with ANI, BMP, CUR, GIF, ICL, JPG Y PNG. Its use is free and the tools they have are intuitive so that any basic level user will be able to use them without problem.
If what you are looking for is a online platform in which you do not have to download any software on your computer, this tool is ideal for you. It has a shape editor that you can use in the different categories that it proposes, changing the colors and formats for interior or parallel shadows. That is very simple and you can save and download your creations for free.
If you have any questions, leave them in the comments, we will answer you as soon as possible, and it will also be of great help to more members of the community. Thank you! 😉