The organization charts are very useful tools when you want to expose new ideas in an organization or when you you need to show a new person what the formal structure of the company is like.
That is why, making this type of graphics is a good habit in any situation. If you didn’t know, with Word you can create your own organization charts in a simple and neat way.
If you want to know how to do it, keep reading because we will explain the whole process in a very detailed way so that you do not make mistakes and become an expert in this type of task.
SmartArt vs Outline What is the best choice to make an organization chart in Word?
For make an organization chart, you’d better use the tool “Scheme”, since with this function group you can incorporate basic shapes that will help you edit with fewer steps. In addition, you can give it the effect you need with simple steps.
Instead, when you use SmartArt you will have layouts preset by Microsoft Word. This will make many times not adjust to your needs, so you will need to do more steps to edit the org chart.
While is true that, working with this last tool is more comfortable when you have advanced knowledge of Word, it is always advisable to use Scheme as functions for create org charts.
Steps to create an org chart in Microsoft Word from scratch like an expert
Know the steps what will you have to do to create your own organization chart in a simple and fast way.
The steps are the following:
Create organization chart
The first thing you should do is decide if the org chart will be on a new page, in a new section of the document or in a new file. In each of these cases, you will have to follow the corresponding steps.
Once you are prepared and have the previous steps ready, you should continue in this way:
- Position the cursor where you will draw the picture and go to the menu “Insert” on the ribbon and choose the group “Illustrations”.
- Click on the function “Shapes”.
- Choose “Text box” and enlarge the image until you see that it will be neat.
- Then choose the same figure and write the name of the department or position that corresponds to the organization chart.
- To join these two hierarchical levels or positions, you will have to use the form “Line”. With the mouse join the 2 rectangles that you just made.
Continue with the same process until you are done with all levels and positions. For center text vertically and horizontally, you’re going to have to use the tools found in “Start” in the group “Paragraph”.
Add or remove frames
When you have to add a box, you will have to do the following:
- In “Shapes” choose “Text box”.
- Yes it is more than one position dependent on the higher level, You will have to locate it neatly so that it is centered.
- Then you will have to choose “Line” and trace horizontally until it reaches to the center of the rectangles.
- Next, you will have to join that line with 2, 3 or more vertical lines (much shorter). This will make the graph centered.
In case you need delete a frame, you will have to select it and then press the key “Delete”. Don’t forget that you owe correct the lines, so you will also have to select them and follow the same procedure.
Change solid line to dotted line
To change the solid line, you will have to follow this guide:
- Choose the line you want to modify.
- make right click about it and choose the option “Shape format …”.
- Will unfold a menu on the right of the screen, you will have to choose “Solid line” and then look for the option you need in “Type of script”.
Modify dependency layout
In case you want to modify the design of the dependency, follow this process:
- Select the box you want to edit.
- Press the right mouse button and select “Shape format …”.
- Choose the tab “Shape options”.
- Tap on “Filling” if you want to change the inner shape of the rectangle. Or, click on the function “Text options” and modify what you need from the sources.
If you are looking to change the color of the squares, do this step by step:
- Choose the item to edit.
- Choose “Shape format …” by right clicking.
- Click on “Shape options”.
- Choose “Colour” and choose the one that suits you best.
- If you wish add a degree of transparency, click on the option with the same name and choose the percentage.
- In case you want change the outline, click on “Line”.
- Tap on “Colour” and change to the color you want. If you don’t want to have a contour line, please choose “No line”.
Add style effects
To add style effects follow these steps:
- Select the pictures What do you want to change?
- Right click and click Shape format … “.
- Choose the tab “Shape options”.
- Select the second option, “Effects”.
- Edit shadows, reflection, and edges. You can also give it a 3D effect.
- For control changes, click on anywhere on the sheet.
If you have any questions, leave them in the comments, we will answer you as soon as possible, and it will also be of great help to more members of the community. Thank you! 😉