Microsoft Access it is a tool that greatly optimizes administrative tasks. The processes to locate specific information can take a long time. However, create a lookup list field in a database, you manage to simplify the task. If you want to know how to do it, continue reading this step by step guide.
With the help of a search field you can more easily visualize a certain value, which is linked to other values belonging to the informative tables. Other than that, there are many other jobs you can do.
For this reason, it is convenient know what the types of search fields are and how they work. In addition, we will explain in depth what they are and what their functionality is.
What are lookup list fields and what are they for in an Access database?
When dealing with the Microsoft Access tool, it is essential to check each of its functions. For example, to make the data entry process more efficient, it is necessary to take into account What are lookup list fields and what are they for in Access. First of all, you have to define what a search field is. It’s about a space that exposes a list of values. The user fulfills the function of choosing the value to be entered.
The goal behind a search field is make the data entry process much faster and accurate. Creating search fields prevents errors and the presence of duplicate data. If the data entered is in a data table, the system captures it immediately. Search fields can be presented in two ways: Simple or complex. The simple ones are those that allow the user to store a single value.
On the other hand, complex fields they can contain multiple values, which can be viewed from a combo box, or through a list box control. Each entry made in a complex search field involves searching for a value to display. East must be related to another corresponding value. In datasheets, access to a search field is referred to as as “Search column”. It should be noted that there are two types.
Search lists and lists of values:
- Search List: They are the fields that are based on a search list, which obtains the data from a table or query that is stored in the database. They are characterized by having relational tables. In the event that the source values change, the updated data becomes available.
- List of search values: They are the fields based on a list of search values. In this case, the fields obtain the data from a list written by the same user when creating the search field. It is recommended to use this model when the values are limited and do not require frequent modifications.
Learn step by step how to create search list fields in Access
Choice of create lookup list fields in Access Finding values in a data table is an excellent method to improve efficiency and accuracy when recording new information to the database.
If you want to know more, keep reading this step by step on how to use the search wizard in Access so that you can generate a new field:
- Open the Microsoft Access app. Then go to “Navigation panel”. You must right click on the data table with which you are going to work. Then select the “Design View”.
- Click on the cell belonging to the column “Type of data”. This column will work to define the search field. Then click on the arrow “down” and click on a data type. Finally, select the “Search Assistant”.
- If the Search Wizard does not start, or a notification appears on the screen saying “The wizard cannot be started”, you must choose another type of data for the search field.
- When the wizard has started, click on “I’ll write the values you want”. Then press “Next”.
- The following window appears on the screen of the assistant. In that section you must enter the number of columns to appear in the search list. Similarly, you can adjust the column width of the field, but you must make sure it remains visible.
- Enter the values that should appear in the search list. Then click “Next”.
- You have the option of edit the list of values directly, in the source text box, which is in the search field properties row.
- In the case of having specified more than one column at the beginning, you must choose which of the columns will be used to uniquely identify the values. Head to the box “Available fields” and double click on the column that will uniquely identify each value. Then press “Next”.
- In the case of having specified a single column at the beginning, the previous step does not appear on the screen.
- In the next wizard window, you should enter a tag name, which fulfills the function of identifying the search field.
- If you want to create a lookup column that includes multiple values, you need to select the check box. You can get it under the label “Allow multiple values.” It is the only option where the tool can store multiple values.
- After having followed all the steps to the letter, upon completion, you just have to click on “Finalize” in the search wizard window. Then, for all changes to take place, you need to click on “Yes” in the window of “Save”.
Finally, keep in mind that using multiple values when creating a search list field is recommended under the following conditions:
- If the user owns a list of values that offers several alternatives for information entry.
- The current database has frequent access to a website of SharePoint.
- The database is currently linked to a portal of SharePoint.
If you have any questions, leave them in the comments, we will answer you as soon as possible, and it will surely be of great help to more members of the community. Thank you! 😉