One of the great benefits it has Microsoft Word is that it allows the user to customize a dictionary so that the auto-correction tool is efficient and does not detect false errors.
In this way you will have a composition without any spelling error, since you will incorporate the amount you need of words, without limits. In addition, you can create your own dictionary.
This element will help you a lot when you work, as well as increase your writing efficiency. If you want to know how you can get the most out of this Microsoft Word tool, we invite you to continue reading the following games.
What is a custom dictionary and what is it for in Microsoft Word?
A custom dictionary is a feature that Microsoft Word offers so that you the user can incorporate words into the text and that the program does not detect them as spelling errors. You can have one or more types of dictionary according to the language and idiom of each language. Also, you can add word for word or either a list forming a new dictionary.
What are the advantages of using custom dictionaries in Word?
Among the most important advantages that you will have when using this type of functions is that, by not detecting as a spelling error, the text will not be left with words underlined in red. This will allow you to find the true faults in a simpler way, since you will have a much greater visual cleaning.
When you add new words and misspell them, you’ll be sure that Word will help you find those mistakes.. This would not happen if you do not add it to the dictionary. That is, no matter how much you spell a certain word right or wrong, the program will take it as an error and you will not realize that you have spelled wrong.
Another benefit of using this type of tool is that will allow you to work with onomatopoeic words or from other languages, even if you do not use them and that frequently. This will mean that if you enable the auto-correct option, Word will help you spell some words that you are not familiar with.
The use of the dictionary will make you have a perfect wording, so your quality as a writer will improve considerably. This is great for reporting and any other work that needs to be reviewed by others.
Steps to add or remove words from your custom Microsoft Word dictionaries
To enable a word you must do these steps:
- Once the system has detected that you have misspelled a word, but it is actually correct, you will have to place the cursor on it.
- Then you will have to right click choose the option “Add to dictionary.”
Another way you have to do it is by following this guide:
- Go to the tab “Archive”.
- Click on “Options”.
- Choose the tool “Review”.
- Find the button “Custom dictionaries” and click on it.
- You will find a list with all the custom dictionaries that you have active. You must choose the one you need, if you don’t know which one, click on any (as long as you have it activated).
- Tap on “Edit word lists …”.
- Select option “Add”.
- Add the word you want and at the end click on “To accept”.
In case you want to delete a word, you will have to choose the option “Delete word”.
If you want to create a new dictionary, you must follow this step by step:
- Open a notepad file. If you don’t know how to do it, type in the Windows start bar “pad” and the application will appear first.
- Write all the words you want to have in the new dictionary. You must bear in mind that you will have to enter them correctly, since Word will take as valid the ones you enter at this time.
- Once you have all assigned you must go to the tab “Archive” and select the option “Save as…”.
- Write the name you want to the dictionary. When you finish you will have to add the extension “.Dec”. For example, “Internetpasoapaso.dic”.
- In the file format field you will have to choose “All the files (*.*)”.
- You will have to choose in the type of encoding the option “Unicode”.
- Click on “Save”.
- At this time you will have to open Microsoft Word and go to the ribbon and choose the tab “Archive”.
- Tap on “Review”.
- Select option “Custom dictionaries” and click on it.
- Click on the first dictionary that appears. This will activate the options that you have to the right of the window. Choose “Add”.
- The file explorer will open. Find the notepad you have created and click on it.
- Click on “Change as default”.
- Squeeze “To accept”.
If you have any questions, leave them in the comments, we will answer you as soon as possible, and it will surely be of great help to more members of the community. Thank you! 😉