You may have some type of file with extension .DEB on your computer and you can’t open it because you don’t know about it and you don’t know what kind of program to use to view all content stored in the Debian package.
These types of DEB formats standard contain two types of files bzip or gzip, the first one is used for the information of installation control and the other to obtain the actual data. Basically .DEB is used for software installation packages and it is considered an extension of the system Linux operating, including thus Kubuntu, Ubuntu, Edubuntu and PCLinuxOS.
If you are having problems opening this type of format, here we will explain the different existing methods so you can start doing this from your computer or mobile.
What is and what are files with the .DEB extension used for?
These DEB packages are binary files that contain two types of records, one of them is responsible for maintaining controlled information in storage, while the other takes care of manage all real data from the program for that package.
Is to say that this Debian software packages are compressed files that are commonly used within the Linux system and its different versions. where they are mainly used to carry out installations on these operating systems.
How to open and install .DEB files on smartphones or computers?
As it is not a very common format for most users can be presented problems when opening, since it is unknown how to do it or what kind of programs to use for it.
In this way, here we explain how to open these packages in Windows, Mac, Linux, Android and iPhone in a very simple and fast way, to do this follow each of the methods that we will teach you below:
Power open these Debian packages on Linux It is a simple and fast process which we are going to teach you to do next:
- The first thing we have to do is download some .deb file from the Debian portal.
- In this case we are going to use the file “Asql_1.6-1_all.deb”.
- The following will be download the file (We will provide you with a direct download link below).
- Now we have to make use of a very simple tool of the GNU project como This allows us to see the content of these formats and in turn extract them. Through this command we can start to see the content: ar t asql_1.6–1_all.deb or ar x asql_1.6–1_all.deb. to be able to extract the information.
- Then you should appear the following picture onscreen.
- Keep in mind that Debian is a plain text format, so we simply select “Debian-binary”.
- To confirm the type of file, press the “Y” key. In this way you can inspect the content.
On Windows PC
In the case of windows operating system, The programs of Microsoft they can’t open this format type by default, for this it is necessary to use a external program, in this case we will use the free software of Zipware:
- To begin you will have to download the software of Zipware (link below).
- Once downloaded you must open and install it accepting the default values as the process progresses.
- When the installation is finished you will see the program icon at desk.
- The following will be run itTo do this, double click on the icon on the desktop.
- Within the application system click on the option “Open” located in the toolbar and there you select the .deb file you want to open.
- When it is opened you will see all the folders stored in it.
- You can open anyone of them just doing Double click or dragging it to the desktop.
On Mac computers
For Mac computers this process is very similar to that of Linux, is about insert some commands that allow the information contained in these formats to be extracted. To do this, follow these steps:
- The first thing will be to use the ar command, this utility is already in the form default on macOS, and can be used as follows: ar –x your_debian.deb.
- Another way is using the command dpkg, this is not available in MacOS by default as Therefore it should be obtained using macports or brew.
- For install dpkg through brew you have to use this command: brew install dpkg.
- When you already have the dpkg You can start running it to extract the information from the file: dpkg –x your_debian.dep / output / folder
On Android mobile phones
The .deb formats they are packages of Linux, therefore, you cannot install a Linux package on Android taking into account that they are two different operating systems where they only share the kernel. Considering that they share the same kernel, Android you can install a Linux system and run it simultaneously with yours. However, this does not allow you to perform all the functions.
On iPhone devices with iOS
In iOS devices It is possible to open this type of format as long as it is installed in the idevice the iFiles. To be able to install it in the Smartphone you just have to go to / var / root / Media / Cydia / AutoInstall, and there insert the content of iFile.rar and restart the terminal. When cell phone turn on again we carry out the following steps:
- The first thing will be to open iTools.
- When you have entered you go to / var / mobile and add .deb file through the Upload button.
- Now you enter your Smartphone and select open iFile, there you go to the route / var / mobile /.
- When you are on this route you will only have to click on it document .deb to be able to install and open it successfully.
List of the best alternative applications and programs to run a file with a .Deb extension
Currently there are different programs capable of open and run the extensions. Deb in the different operating systems. In this way, here we present you the best applications and programs to do this:
- 7-Zip: This filing cabinet has as its main characteristic a high data compression. The program is mainly dedicated to create and unzip archives, as well as dividing them into different volumes. In addition, it is compatible with most of the formats to pack, open and unzip.
- Debian: which will allow you open and convert different types of extensions that exist in the market. Please note that this software is sometimes found installed by default in the team.
- Cydia: It is a program that is available for the iOS operating system and with which you can start open or convert almost all types of formats currently exist. It is mainly characterized by its easy handling and its great compatibility with other formats such as .deb.
- PeaZip: Finally we present you PeaZip, available for him windows operating system and is characterized by being compatible with almost all extensions including .Dep, .PEA, BZ2, TAR, among others. A way to be able to open any type of file in one way quick and easy from your computer.
If you have any questions, leave them in the comments, we will answer you as soon as possible, and it will surely be of great help to more members of the community. Thank you! 😉