Similar to a closet, a PC stores and hierarchizes files within folders or files. The same are essential to maintain order that serves to find content in a simpler way.
But when it comes to eliminating them, it happens differently. Since sometimes it is the same system that prevents it. At the same time, it does not matter to send them to the trash than to undo of the files definitely.
If you want to know the correct way to delete a folder or fix those error windows, we recommend the following post.
Steps to delete a folder in major operating systems
Before we go on to the best methods to get rid of unwanted folders, you need to know that it may vary depending on the operating system installed on your device. You should also keep in mind that we will show how to delete, which is different from moving to the recycle bin.
Taking into account the above, we offer them to you for the three most important:
- Go to the containing root of the folder in question. If it’s one on your desktop, make sure it’s not a shortcut.
- Once selected, press the combination on the keyboard “Shift” (Shift) + “Delete” (Delete). Being a action that cannot be undone, the system will show you a warning window.
- Press “Yes” to confirm the operation.
- Similar to Windows, the first thing you should do is select with a click the folder you want to delete.
- Then press the keys “Command” and without letting go “Delete”. Doing so will permanently delete the file.
- If the content you want to delete is already lodged in the trash, press the right button on it and choose the option from the drop-down menu “Empty trash”.
- If you work on a computer with Linux system you will already be used to commands. To get rid of an entire directory (file) you must enter the following instruction.
- “Rmdir Dir1” Being Dir1 the name of the directory.
- Similarly, if you want to delete several at once, you can separate the names with spaces. Staying as follows “Rmdir Dir1 Dir2 Dir3”.
The folder cannot be deleted. What are the causes and solutions?
But not everything is rosy, well inconveniences appear anywhere and anytime. And it can be the case when we want delete a folder and we can’t.
This can be for a number of reasons:
The most common is that do not have the necessary administrator permission to make modifications to a file, for which you will need such authorization or login as one. It also often happens that a program is using a file contained in that folderIn these cases a window appears with the necessary information to know which is the document in question. It will only suffice with terminate the process that is using it and repeat the operation.
If after using the command “Rmdir” to delete a directory it returns an error of the type “Rmdir: failed to remove ‘dir3’: Directory not empty” means that said folder it was not empty. Which is an advantage to avoid losing files accidentally. If you want to delete the directory, subdirectories and all their content, you must use the command “Rm -r Dir1” And like the previous methods, deleted information cannot be recovered.
If you have any questions, leave them in the comments, we will answer you as soon as possible, and it will surely be of great help to more members of the community. Thank you! 😉