Slack stands out for being a instant messaging app which is mainly aimed at workspaces and organizations, which is why a large number of messages are usually sent through the app.
Yet as time goes by your account may be filled with many messages, so you can exceed the limit of messages and files and thus occupy all your available space there.
So the main solution for this is to start delete your messages and so I can free up memory in your workspace. That is why here we are going to explain how to easily perform this procedure.
Why should you delete some messages from your Slack spaces?
Keep in mind that Slack It is an application that has different plans and according to each of them its storage capacity. In the case of the free plan, users will be able to have only 10,000 viewable messages and which will be the most recent, this means that the old ones will automatically be eliminated. In addition, this free plan only has one 5GB total of available storage space.
This means that the main reason why messages should be deleted from Slack is to get more space from storage in app. So a very good alternative is start deleting all those messages that no longer have any importance or that are simply too old. In addition, this will not only allow you to get more space, but it will also help you to have a better organization, since you will only have those messages that really have a value for you.
It is important to keep in mind that each of the plans will have its own storage space, the larger the plan this space will be much larger. Finally, it should be mentioned that Slack takes everything that is typed in the message field and sent as a message, regardless of whether it has only been sent an emoji or a single word, this will be considered in the same way as a 975 word message.
This is how users who have the free plan the app must delete some of those messages in order to make space for new files and in that way get memory in workspace.
Learn step by step how to delete messages from your Slack account quickly and easily
The procedure for delete messages in Slack It is very simple, in this case users will have two alternatives to do it, one of them is eliminating a message at once and the other is eliminating it en masse, the latter is ideal for when you want to erase a large number of them.
Therefore, here we are going to teach you how to carry out each of these methods, to do this, follow step by step everything that we will teach you below:
Delete one message at a time
- The first thing you should do is open the Slack app on your desktop.
- Then you must click on the button “Log in” located in the upper right corner of your screen, there you must log in to any of your workspaces.
- Now you must select a direct message on the left panel of your screen.
- Here you must hover over the message you want to delete in conversation.
- To do this you must click on the icon “More actions”
- In the options that appear there you must select “Delete message”.
- In order to complete the entire procedure, you must confirm the action you want to perform, in this case click again on “Remove”.
Delete messages in bulk
Your application storage space may already be occupied by 100%, so you need to delete a large number of messages to regain enough available space there. The best alternative in this case is to start delete messages en masse, since this procedure will be much faster than doing it one by one.
To do this, you just have to follow each of the steps that we are going to indicate below:
- Again you must access the application Slack from your desktop. In case you do not have the application installed on your computer, then you can access Slack from your web browser, for this you must write in the address bar
slack.comand press the key enter.
- When you have entered the website you must log in with your access data by clicking on the top right of your screen.
- Once you have entered the app you must select the menu located in the upper right part and there select the option of “Additional options” so you can access the file menu.
- Now you must choose the option of “Establish the channel’s message retention policy ”.
- Then select “Hold all messages” for a specified number of days. An example of this would be if you set a retention policy of one week, all messages in the channel or direct messages will be deleted after seven days automatically.
- Later you must click e “Save”.
- Now you must select the option “Apply settings” for the entire procedure to be applied.
How many messages can be saved in Slack according to the plan that I have contracted?
Users who have the free version of Slack They will be able to use it for as long as they want, since they are not required to purchase the app payment plan. In this case, it is necessary to take into account that these users who use the free version do not have a limit on the number of members they can invite.
But they do have some limits regarding the following points:
- They can have a maximum message visibility of 10,000 messages which will be the most recent as well as for their searches.
- It has a storage of 5 GB both for files and messages in your workspace.
In this way, users who make use of this version they must be deleting each of their messages constantly. Just like mentioned earlier in the post, Slack takes any word written and sent as a message regardless of whether you have used all the characters.
In the case of those users who make use of the payment plans, they will have the opportunity to have a greater amount of memory, in the case of members of the standard plan they will be able to enjoy 10 GB storage, while users who have the plus plan can enjoy 20 GB of storage, so they can have a larger number of messages there.
If you have any questions, leave them in the comments, we will answer you as soon as possible, and it will also be of great help to more members of the community. Thank you! 😉