For sure you know the term hacker, since it is quite common to hear of this type of people who do illegal activities online. But surely you do not know or have little knowledge of crackers, these types of people are quite common in the internet world and both differ from each other. Although the difference is small, It is important to clarify that a hacker and a cracker are not the same, because these terms in today’s news media tend to confuse or misuse these terms.
What generates confusion or misinformation in the population. Note that a hacker can access computer systems remotely Without complications and without having any authorization to do so, you can also steal information and manipulate systems. A cracker performs these same actions, but for profit, like extortion, for example.
In this guide we are going to explain the concept of a hacker and what is a cracker? Their differences and even talk about possible motivations, so that in this way you can be more informed about this group of individuals that lurk in the world of cyberspace.
What types of hackers or crackers exist in the digital world?
There is a great variety of hackers and crackers, these can be classified in their specialties, as well as in the level of skills they have to get into computerized systems.
Types of hackers
Among the types of hackers can be named the following:
- Black hatThese are the most dangerous among the types of hackers. They use their highly specialized techniques to gain access to computer systems and in this way take control of them, obtain their data, in order to destroy or sell them, among others.
- White Hat: These can be called as ethical hackers, since they work generating security and protecting IT systems (Information Technology). They commonly work for computer security companies, whether governmental or private, reporting possible vulnerabilities in the companies’ systems in order to take corrective measures.
- Gray Hat: These types of hackers can be considered as a kind of hybrid, as they can act illegally, but with good intentions. These individuals can log into systems and disclose information that is useful to the general public. An example of this may be that they spread cases of large companies for the unauthorized collection of data from their users.
Types of crackers
Among the types of crackers are the following:
- Carder: They are people who have become experts in credit card fraud. These can generate fake numbers and access codes that can successfully violate control systems, thereby stealing and cloning cards.
- Pharmer: These people are engaged in carrying out attacks of “Phishing”, that is, they make the user believe that he is entering a real site. People enter their personal data on the site created by the hacker and then use the credentials to steal money from their victims’ accounts.
- War driver: They are crackers that take advantage of existing vulnerabilities in all types of networks in the mobile connection.
- Defacer: This group of people look for bugs in web pages on the internet to be able to infiltrate them and thus modify them.
- Spammer and Spyware disseminators: There are companies that pay these types of people to create spam for their main products and in other cases they seek to profit from illegal advertising.
What is a Hacker and what are its origins?
The name Hacker refers to a person specialized in one or several branches of computing, such as: programming, computer networks, operating systems, network / voice hardware, among others. It is called hacking or hacking to the actions carried out by a hacker.
It is believed that the word hacker It was born to people who worked as programmers at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT). This group of people during the 60s had a tradition of playing innocent jokes which they called hacks, acquiring for themselves the term hackers as a way of calling the group they formed within the institute.
Characteristics of a Hacker
He is a person who enjoys exploration and the details that programmable operating systems contain, as well as other programs. Looking for a way to take advantage of its possibilities, obtain greater knowledge of them and new ways of applying that knowledge. Other features that can be named are as follows:
- Whenever they program they do it enthusiastically. (It even becomes an obsession in some).
- Its programming speed is very advanced compared to a normal user or an amateur in the programming world.
- May specialize in a program in particular or have great skills for different programs.
- They tend to believe that sharing information is a great job and a powerful and precious commodity., believing that it is an ethical obligation for hackers to share their experiences and knowledge using open source (Open source). In this way, they facilitate the use of the information for all who want to know more. They also believe that breaking systems, whether for fun or exploration, is ethically well accepted as long as the hacker does not commit theft, vandalism, or breach people’s confidential data.
What is a Cracker and what are its abilities?
A cracker is defined as a person who uses their great knowledge and skills in computing and information technology as a motivation to fight against what society defines as prohibited. Modern crackers like to use their own programs or in some cases, use those that are distributed for free on specialized web pages in the distribution of these and other illegal information on the internet.
These tools include the following: programs to unblock or copy access codes, use number generators that, through randomization and running automatically, can manage to violate access codes of the systems.
Characteristics of a cracker
Crackers mostly focus and specialize in theft and vandalism, either for their own reasons, or with the intention of causing damage no matter how serious it may be. They commonly tend to unite in small, secret, and private groups.
Crackers perform the following activities:
- Crack: It is a program created, which has the functionality of introducing a modification to a software, probably with the intention of disabling its protection.
- Warez: It is a type of illegally obtained software.
- KeyGen: This is a program that generates keys which can be used to bypass the anti-copy security measures of the software.
- Piracy: It is what we currently know as illegal copies of software or audio.
Main differences between a hacker and a cracker in computing
Basically a cracker and a hacker, they perform the same activities and have an equal skill level (of equal proportion). However, what differentiates them is what they do with those skills.
While a hacker use your skills, to know faults in the systems and in this way provide corrections and increase computer security. A cracker use these glitches, to increase errors in the system, damage them or render them totally useless. They even use it to steal information in order to extort or sell the data to other people and in this way profit.
Hackers act under a belief and an ethic where all information is stolen, it is to demonstrate illegal activities of governments, companies or individuals. Sharing it to the whole public to expose the real criminals.
Like the hacker, the cracker is also passionate about the computer world. Its difference is that a cracker tries to damage systems and computers. From there comes its term in English “Cracker” means “Breaker”, and its objective is to break or damage systems and computers.
If you have any questions, leave them in the comments, we will answer you as soon as possible, and it will surely be of great help to more members of the community. Thank you! 😉