The e-mails they are an important part of our jobs or studies, since thanks to them we can send and receive information to different people who are anywhere in the world.
It is very useful to send files or archives so that the recipients have them in an easy, fast and simple way. Any file format can be sent, regardless of its size.
So that you can know everything about how to send an attachment in an email, you should read until the end of this post. In addition, we will show you what is the maximum weight allowed and where they are stored according to the email platform you use.
What is an attachment in an email?
When we have to send an email and send the sender certain information that we cannot include in the body of the message, either because of its size or format, we need to incorporate a file or any other information that will be attached to the email. The latter is what is known as an email attachment..
The procedure to attach an attachment is very simple, although it will depend on the messaging platform we use, usually represented by a paperclip icon. We simply have to click on it and a file explorer will open immediately to choose the one we need.
We must bear in mind that there are different classes of attached files that depend on the encoding or not of it, being UUEncode, base64, binhex, and quoted-printable the most used forms. In addition, we can also classify these attached data according to where they are stored. But we will see this topic later.
Among the wide variety of email platforms that exist today, we can use any of them since they support a very wide variety of file formats that will be sent to our recipient.
The most common extensions are the ones detailed below:
- txt: This is the format of an Excel file, so we can send any version of a spreadsheet. Also included in this extension class are xls and xlsx.
- Doc: We also have the possibility to send a Microsoft Word file, with which we can attach images and videos. As with Excel, we would have to name the word processor versions as docx.
- pdf: If we need to send a file that has a storage format with which the recipient cannot modify it, or can see it with the same appearance we sent them, we can use this Adobe extension.
- zip: This kind of format is ideal for submitting a complete file or a large file. To do this, we must compress it before sending it to the person who receives our email, when it reaches the sender they will have to decompress it and just open it.
- pptx: From an email we can also send files with a Power Point storage format. This kind of attached documents that we send by email will allow you to see the slide show. As with other formats, we can also include versions of pptx.
- rtf: This extension must be included within the texts, with some variants introduced by its manufacturer Sun Microsystems, Inc.
- ods: It is also developed by Sun Microsystems and is compatible with a Microsoft Excel spreadsheet. The same is true for a word processor with the odt extension.
- wav, aiff or au: Another class of files that you can send as an attachment in an email are those that belong to audios in what we can find them.
- avi, mpg, h264, mov, wmv: As is the case with audio, we can also have attached files to send videos.
What is the maximum weight for an attachment in an email and how to send larger and heavier files?
In the case of Gmail files can be attached up to a maximum of 25 MB, but up to 50MB will be received, this is because they may be using different kinds of platforms. Other emails like Yahoo! support up to 25 MB to send and receive.
Hotmail and Outlook have a lower capacity between 10 to 20 megabytes.
But How can we send information larger than those allowed by these platforms? The answer is easy, for this kind of situation we must host what we want to forward in the cloud and send the recipient of the email a link to our file.
To send an attachment via Gmail you must follow these steps:
- Choose “Write”.
- Click on “Attach files”.
- Press “To attach”. A file explorer will open where you must choose the documents you need to send.
- Then select “Open” and after a few seconds the file will have been loaded successfully.
When you want to send an email from your Android you will do this guide:
- Press “Write”.
- Choose “To attach”.
- Choose the file you want to send.
For iOS mobiles, you will have to do this:
- Click on “Write”.
- Then press “To attach”.
- Find the file or file you want to send.
All these steps can be done when the file or archive is small. In the event that we need to send a large document, we must compress it through a special program. In our case we will choose WinZip.
Once you have downloaded this app, you will follow this procedure:
- Go to “Start” and you choose “File Browser”.
- Right click and then choose “Send to”.
- Choose “I Agree”.
In case you want to do it directly with Windows 10 you can choose the file, you look for the option “Send to” and you press “Compressed folder (zipped)”.
Where are all the documents that I attach to my emails stored and how can I access them?
This is one of the most vulnerable situations that we have in our important emails. Many times we do not know where the messages are stored and what security they have, since there is the possibility of saving them on the server or directly on our PC.
Then, We will show you the two most used email platforms and you will find out where the emails are stored in each one:
In Google Gmail
Gmail attachments are stored on the server, only the header is downloaded to our mobile device or computer.
But the server has a restricted capacity of GBAccording to this, once we have reached that limit, Google will notify us of the situation so that we can store it on a disk, or delete the emails that we no longer need. In case we do not vacate the server space, we will not be able to receive e-mails and senders will see a sending error.
So you can delete your emails you should go to the inbox and select from manual way one by one, or by pages all the mails you want to discard.
In Microsoft Outlook (Hotmail)
Unlike the previous case, when we use an Outlook account, whether from any platform that we synchronize our email, the emails will be downloaded to our computer. We have the option, when configuring the account, to choose if we also want them to be saved on the server or deleted from it.
In order to carry out this option and remove it from our server you must go to “Bill”, then “Setting”, click on “More settings” and you choose “No” in the section “Save to mail server”.
If you have any questions, leave them in the comments, we will answer you as soon as possible, and it will surely be of great help to more members of the community. Thank you! 😉