On a global level, Apple has been ranked as one of the most secure software and electronic equipment developers in the world. Being that, one of the strongest points revealed by its operating systems, that is, both MacOS and iOS. That is why it is so well known around the world.
Thus, the Apple ID is a method of authentication that this company has created, in order to increase security on their iPhone, iPad, Mac and other devices belonging to it. Taking into account that, this mechanism is based on the personal information of the user and the configurations made by him.
Therefore, it is extremely important to know how to manage, in a very easy way, the key of an Apple ID account. Therefore, we would like to show you the steps to be taken in order to change this password, either from your mobile phone, through the web or even, in those occasions where you have forgotten it.
Steps to change my Apple ID account password
As we indicated, from this post, we will detail each of the steps that need to be taken in order to change the password of your Apple ID account without any complications and very quickly. This will allow you to manage your account better and increase the security of your device whenever you want.
In this way, we proceed to specify the processes to be completed in order to make such modification directly from your iPhone or, if you prefer, through the web:
From your mobile phone
Before specifying the steps necessary to change the password for any Apple ID account, it is important to note that the procedure that runs from the iPhone is the same as the one that will have to be done using an iPad or iPod Touch with iOS 10.3 or higher.
Here is the step-by-step guide:
- To start, you will need to access Settings and then click on “[Your Name]”.
- Next, go to the section that says “Password and Security” and there, among all the available options, touch the “Change Password” selection.
- Now, it is time to enter the current code or password of the device, and then place the new password and you will have to write it correctly again to confirm it in the indicated box.
- Finally, the changes have been saved and it‘s time to sign in to your Apple ID account using your new key. This will allow you to access all of Apple’s features and services from now on.
From the web
Although, for many users, the most convenient solution is to make this password change via their Apple mobile phone, iPad or iPod Touch; the truth is that, for others, it is much simpler to do it directly from the website.
Therefore, if you prefer to use this method, here we indicate each step to follow:
- Start by logging in to your Apple ID account from the following website: “https://appleid.apple.com/#!&page=signin”.
- After that, you will have to enter the Security section provided within your account and, once you enter it, click on the option that indicates “Change Password…”.
- Once this is done, it is time to enter your current Apple ID password and, as in the previous case, you will also need to enter the new password to retype it and confirm it.
- To conclude, click on the “Change Password” button below and proceed to sign in to your account with your new password installed so you can access all the services and features that Apple offers.
If I have forgotten my previous password
It is common for a user to forget their password for any service on the network and, of course, this also happens with Apple ID accounts. So, in your case, it’s important to know the steps you need to take to reset your password, and once you are able to do so, you will need to update your Apple ID and password on all of the company services you are enrolled in.
There are two ways to carry out this reset, since you can manage it from your iPhone, iPad or iPod Touch and from a Mac.
Using an iPhone, iPad or iPod Touch
Compared to the process you have to run from a Mac to change the password for an Apple ID account if you’ve forgotten your current one, this is the easiest and fastest method you can use.
So, below, we show you how to do it:
- On any of the Apple devices mentioned here, start by going to the Settings section.
- Now, it is time to press “[Your Name]” and there, you have to enter the option that indicates “Password and Security”.
- Thirdly, click on “Change Password” and finally, just follow each of the steps provided on screen to update the password in question.
Using a Mac
Since many users find it more convenient to manage this type of procedure from their computer, it is worth noting the procedure to be carried out from a Mac to change the password for an Apple ID account when the current one has been forgotten.
Here, we give you the steps to follow from MacOS Catalina:
- First of all, click on the Apple menu and enter the selection that says “System Preferences”.
- Then click on “Password and security”. When you are prompted to enter your Apple ID key, click “Forgotten your Apple ID or password” and follow the on-screen instructions.
- Once you’ve done this, click “Change Password” and you’ll need to enter the key you use to unlock your Mac before you can retrieve your Apple ID password.
On the other hand, if your Apple computer has MacOS Mojave, Sierra or High Sierra, these are each of the necessary steps to be taken in such circumstances:
- You must also start the process by selecting the Apple menu and accessing “System Preferences”.
- Secondly, select iCloud and click on “Account details”.
- When you’re asked to enter your Apple ID password, click on “Forgot your Apple ID or password” and follow each of the instructions. You can even ignore the final steps.
- Then click on “Security”, now proceed to click on “Reset Password” and there choose “Change Password”.
- Finally, enter the password you use to unlock your computer and proceed to reset the Apple ID password.
Tips for setting a good password for your Apple ID and avoiding hacking
For security and privacy reasons, as well as to avoid blockages, it’s important to consider certain recommendations when creating a password for your Apple ID account.
It is crucial to point out some of the best tips to practice having a good password on Apple ID so you don’t fall victim to any cybercriminals:
Be sure to enter the recommended number of characters
According to Apple’s policies, to use a secure password on this service, it is important that the password contains at least eight characters, and you must also add both upper and lower case letters and numbers.
Even if you choose to include punctuation marks and/or additional characters, it will be much better for the security of that password. This way, it will be much more difficult for any malicious person to decipher.
Do not associate personal information with the password
Although it is true, the easiest passwords to guess are those that contain some of your personal data, such as name, surname, date of birth, address, etc. Therefore, it is best to create a password for your Apple ID that is not associated with that information.
In addition, we also advise you to avoid placing your children’s birthdays, your dog’s name or certain common words/numbers that cybercriminals often rely on to break a password of this type.
Use reliable programs or applications that manage passwords
Today, fortunately, there are different applications and software that have the ability to generate, save and manage your passwords in a truly optimal way. Taking into account that, thanks to the mechanisms they use, they manage to establish almost “uncrackable” passwords.
Therefore, to make sure you avoid any hacking, one of the best recommendations is to use one of these tools. These tools generally work on multiple devices, are easy to use, display complete security, many of them are free and even have the ability to save confidential information beyond passwords.
It’s better that you don’t use real words
In addition to avoiding including any personal data, it is also highly recommended to choose to create a password that does not contain any real words. This means that, you can use a password with a word written backwards and adapting numbers that are similar to certain letters.
As well as, inventing words that are truly unique to you and with that, you will also be sure to remember them without complication. That way, no one will be able to figure out your password so easily.
Always protect your password
When setting up any password and, of course, your Apple ID account, it is very important that you are careful with it. That is, once you create it and choose to write it down on paper so that you don’t forget it soon, the best thing to do is to hide it in a safe place and even lock it up. Considering that, your desk is not the most recommended place for that.
In addition, it is also valuable that you make use of a trusted password manager in these cases. Because these tools promise to increase password security in any case.
This post is also available in: Português (Portuguese (Brazil))