When Gmail came on the market in 2004 offering storage for our data that was far superior to what its competitors could provide, and eye-catching tools to improve our user experience, we didn’t know at the time that it would become one of the most important email providers.
If we use Gmail we’ll notice the quality of the service, which provides a unique experience, linked to Google’s main goal of continuous improvement.
Do not miss this article because we will teach you how to handle different tricks, which many times we do not know exist. With them you will become an advanced user and you will save time in your work or study.
What features make Gmail a unique email provider?
Gmail is considered one of the most important email providers worldwide. This is due to different characteristics that make Google’s mail one of the most preferred by people.
Here are some of the characteristics:
- History: the evolution that this mail service had since its launch generated important adhesions. It was the first mail that offered 1 GB of memory, when others only offered up to 6 MB, invented the search bar within the mail, introduced different categories and was one of the first to launch apps for iOS and Android.
- Storage: currently 1 GB, initially 15 GB. But this storage is relative since it is coordinated with Google Drive where it can also be stored.
- Languages: currently Gmail has more than 140 languages, in which you can distinguish a Spanish from Spain and another for Latin America, also distinguishes the Galician and Catalan.
- Filters: A highlight of Gmail, there are a number of filters that can be used on different incoming message folders.
- Anti-spam: another very useful feature for Gmail users as it offers a system, which is based on the collection of data that users themselves report, to directly move incoming mail to the given folder.
- HTML: we can use our e-mail connect settings when our Internet connection is low.
- Keyboard shortcuts: although we could put this topic as a trick, we want to mention it more as a characteristic or strong point, since there are different combinations that increase our concentration.
Top 30 tips to get the most out of your Gmail account
We’re going to share with you the best secrets and tricks Gmail has to offer so you can take the extra pressure off yourself and not waste time reading those unwanted emails.
Here are the details one by one:
The Labs are functions that Google offers so that its clients can use them in a practical way.
In order to activate these preliminary (or laboratory) functions, we will do so:
- Google Administration Console
- Additional Google Services
- Manage the services
When we need to send automatic replies when we are busy or have clearly understood the spirit of the mail we can activate the standard replies.
To do this we will take the following steps:
- “New message” or “Reply”
- We write the answer we want to be standard
- Send to
This tool is especially important when we are angry and have sent an email that we have not been entirely friendly with, or for when we have forgotten to add the attachment.
Gmail gives us the ability to undo the sending in the following manner:
- Undo send enable undo send option (limit is 30 seconds maximum)
With this tool, you can use Gmail without being connected to the Internet. It’s ideal for when we’re traveling on planes or when we don’t have the possibility to access a WiFi network.
To do so, we are going to carry out these steps:
- Google Administration Console
- Additional Google Services
- Offline Gmail
When you first connect to the Internet, the changes you made will occur.
We can identify the e-mails when we are the only recipients, for example.
In order to access the tool we will have to follow this guide:
- Personal indicators
From this moment on, we will be able to visualize a double arrow for those emails that comply with the feature we have requested.
Using my email address
When we need to know what you’re using my email address for, Gmail allows us to add certain features to the address so that when we sign up for a newsletter, for example, we can receive it in our inbox, but we’ll see the address with a “.” or a “+” sign.
For example: If our email address is “example-step@gmail”
We can add this way: “sample+step@gmail”
Check unread messages
When our inbox finds a lot of messages and we don’t know how to filter them to see the unread ones directly, Google offers a trick to be able to see everything correctly.
We need to perform these steps:
- Search bar we type “is:unread” or “l:unread” or “l:^u”
Image in the body of the email
If we need to add an image we can do it very simply.
For this we will follow these indications:
- In the toolbar we look for “Insert photo”
- Select “Photo” or select the URL “Web address (URL)“
Attach file from Google Drive
If we need to insert a file that is hosted on our Drive we will have to perform these steps:
- Insert photo
- Drive Icon
Search for emails with attachments
When we have a long inbox or a received tray and we need to know or look for some file that we do remember its sender and we know that it sent us a file, we can look for it with this filter.
These are the steps:
- “Received” or “All” if you’ve already moved it to a special folder
- We type in the search bar “has:attachment”
- We select in the mail that we need
If we’re looking for an Excel file we’ll have to repeat the operation, but we’ll write “has:attachment filename:.txt”
We can control the date and time we sign in when we log in to Gmail.
To do so, we will make the following indications:
- Click on “Last account activity”
Snapmail. Self-delete emails
If we need to delete our messages we have an option to do so.
Here’s how to add this Google extension:
- Once we have installed this application, an icon will appear next to our send button which, if we press it, will be removed in 60 seconds or less.
When we want to organize in a different way from those proposed by Google we can change the name of categories and stop calling them “Main” or “Promotions”.
In order to do this you will have to make this configuration:
- We choose what we need to change
To access Google Calendar and monitor our upcoming events, we will be performing this guide:
- Google Calendar Gadget
Respond to all
When we need to have this option enabled by default we’ll need to configure our Gmail account as follows:
- Default response form
- Respond to all
When we need to set a default signature on each of our emails that we compose or forward, Google offers the possibility to do so.
For that, let’s work this way:
You can add images, bullets or links.
Tools to enable notifications when you have Gmail open on your computer
We will need to perform this guide:
- Desktop Notifications
- Enable new mail notifications
If you have a slow Internet connection or low RAM, you can enable the HTML version of Gmail. We’ll need to accept the ‘Use Gmail in HTML’ option
In our emails we can attach files no matter what size they are.
In order to be able to carry out this action of sending, we can attach directly from our Drive and follow the indications that exist in this Google platform.
Download Drive Files
- When they sent us files with this technology system we will have to follow these steps.
- In our inbox we visualize the file, giving us three options: “Download”, “Drive” and “Edit”.
- We choose the second option and immediately Google will redirect us to Drive.
Pause the Inbox
If, for different reasons, we need to stop mail from entering our inbox, we will have to enable the “Inbox Pause” option
If we need to send our emails at a different time than we’ve written them, we’ll need to install this Chrome extension on our Gmail: “Boomerang for Gmail“.
Mark as read
To activate this tool, follow the instructions below:
- Enable “Mark as read”
We can select all the messages we have received prior to this action and mark them as read.
Increase the number of contacts and conversations per page
If we are one of those people who receive a lot of mail every day, we need to have a broader view of our “Inbox”.
In order to obtain this benefit we will have to follow these steps:
- We modified the number of contacts and conversations we need to see on the page.
The maximum limit is 250 contacts and 100 conversations.
Importing emails and contacts
When we need to import contacts from other email providers that are different from Google we will have to configure them according to this guide:
- Accounts and import
- Importing emails and contacts
If we need to send an automatic reply, to every email sent to us, for example when we are not at the workplace.
We can perform these steps:
- Automatic response
- Choose date range
- Writing the body of the mail
- Send to
Mark conversation as read with other users
Many times we need to delegate these tasks to different people we trust.
In order to get this advantage we will follow these steps:
- “Grant access to your account”
- “Mark the conversation as having been opened by other users”
If this user does not accept the authorization it will expire after 7 days.
If we need for different circumstances to download any of our emails Google offers us the possibility to do it with total and absolute confidence.
For this we will need to perform this guide:
- We go to “Google Takeout” through the following link.
- Follow each of the indications
Eliminate heavy mail
In order to perform this action we will need to follow the instructions below:
- We write “has:attachment size:5mb”
- We select what we can eliminate
When our inbox gets too full with this kind of mail or with emails from people we don’t know, we will have to block this kind of invasive contacts.
We will perform these steps:
- We installed “UglyEmail”
- We follow each of the indications of this extension
Drag and Drop
This option is very convenient when we receive emails that we want to save in a quick and practical way in different folders that we already have identified, we only have to click on the email in question and drag it to the destination we need.
When we need to unsubscribe to different two letters that we receive daily we can do it through “Unroll”.