Today, Facebook is considered one of the fastest growing social networks in the world. Although it started out as a platform to connect college students and make it easier for them to contact each other, it’s now practically a virtual blank page where you can find anyone.
Therefore, any user with an account on this social site has a long list of contacts, including family members, old friends, new friends, work acquaintances, etc. However, Facebook is also used to search for new and old friends.
So, being such a full social network, it makes it easy to find anyone, no matter where they are. But many users don’t know how to launch this search, in some cases, since you can find a lot of similar matches, so here we show you several tricks to simplify the search for people on Facebook.
Steps to find and find new and old friends on Facebook
Thanks to the fact that Facebook has its own integrated search engine, users generally choose to start their search based on that search bar. Therefore, it can be considered a relatively easy process.
However, the truth is, once you type in the first and last name of the person you’re looking for, you may find many coincidences, and at this point, the search may take a little longer . That’s because the vast majority of people in the world, manage an active account in this social network and, of course, there are many people with the same names and surnames, but I don’t believe that.
In fact, it is advisable to use other methods to find and find friends , regardless of whether they are old or new. Best of all, these methods are also simple to perform and then we introduce you with each of their steps:
From other friend accounts
Although you’ll need someone else to help you with your search, it’s a very effective alternative to finding both new and old friends on the social network.
To do this, you simply need to do the following:
- First of all, ask one of your friends to lend you their Facebook account credentials and insert it into any browser . You need to be a person you have friends with in real life and well, share both old and new friends.
- Then access your profile and go to the ” Friends ” section. Which is located at the bottom of the cover photo.
- Finally, stay in the section that says “All friends” and in the search engine that contains the page there, you can type the name of the person you want to find, in specific or you can also search in the whole list of friends , users that they are also your companions.
Although the latter is considered a long process, it is ideal to find a good number of friends and even those that you did not even remember.
Apply search filters to friends
It is a method that you should use from your own Facebook account and allows you to perform a slightly more detailed search than the previous case. As from this alternative, you should not only stay with the friendship suggestions that, automatically, the social network shows you continuously.
The steps to do this are as follows:
- To get started, go to your Facebook profile and look for the “Friends” section, as in the previous recommendation.
- After that, you will see that at the top there is a button identified as ” + Search Friends “, on which you must click to start the search of this type.
- Once you’ve done the above, they’ll redirect you to a new window where they show you the friend requests you have, if you’ve received them. Like, some friendship suggestions from people you know. This is generated from the things you have in common, be a good number of friends in common, the places where you worked, where you live, where you study or study, etc.
- In addition to the above, in the ” Search friends ” section you have a handy and simple form that allows you to refine your search . Then you can indicate the name of the person, his hometown, his current city, if they have friends in common, the institute or university where he studies or studied, the company in which he works, etc.
- Thanks to this form, the search process can be faster and easier , because it offers much more accurate results.
Find by email
There are two ways to perform this type of search. The first and perhaps, what you find on various sites, is through the section “Friends” through an option identified as “Add personal contacts“, but it may not appear for some users and then the search process gets complicated.
In turn, the option we will indicate here is another way to get new or old friends using your email address . You should note that this will only be satisfactory if the email address you enter is the one that the person registered with the social network to open their account. Otherwise, the FB will not show matches adjusted to what you are actually looking for.
So, the steps to follow are these:
- Enter your Facebook account and click on the search bar, i.e. the text field that says ” Search ” in the Start section or at the top of the ” Recent News “.
- Then type in the email address of the user you want to search for. It is necessary, complete and without errors to enter because FB does not have the ability to search for parts of email addresses and does not show similar results in case of spelling error it.
- After entering, click on ” View all results to ... “at the bottom of the small drop-down menu. So, based on that, the system searches the profiles that match the email address on Facebook .
- Finally, in case you don’t make any mistake when entering the email and this belongs to the user you are looking for, the person’s account will appear in the results list and when accessing your profile, you can click on “Add friend” if you want to have him in your friends list and chat with that person.
By related groups
With the large number of groups created in this social network, it is now also very easy to locate anyone through these groups. So if you can’t find the user by using the above tricks, you can resort to this alternative, with which you should check if they are Facebook groups that you can only have in common, so it’s easier.
These groups can be from the school, university or institute where you both studied, also from the company where you worked or even commercial groups that belong to the city where you both live.
To do this, perform the following step by step:
- Find yourself in the ” Groups ” section located in the ” Explore ” section in the vertical bar to the left of the recent news feed in the Start part of your Facebook account.
- They will then redirect you to a new window where you can see all the groups you belong to. Plus, different categories and suggestions for you that can help you find a friend.
- Finally, insert the groups in common with the person in question and in the “Members” part you can use the “Search for a member” bar and type in the person’s name or, sniff between the whole list of people who belong to this group.
By city or place
Another way to perform a simple search on this social network to locate an old or new friend, is through the site . Keeping in mind that from this section, Facebook allows you to select a specific city or location to find more specific results, and with that, you’re sure to get whoever you want.
So, the step-by-step below is what we indicate:
- In the initial part of your Facebook account, locate yourself in the search bar at the top and enter the full or partial name of the user you want to find.
- Then click on ” View all results for ... “which will show all possible matches found in the FB database.
- Now, you can click on the “People” section which is at the top of the third position of all options. However, to have more options, it is recommended that you stay in the “Everyone” section which is at the top.
- Now, you can see that on the left, there is a section in a vertical position called ” Filter results “, which you will use to locate one person per city.
- In this section, go to the option that says “Place marked“, which is what will allow you to enter the specific place.
- Finally, press the ” Select location ” option and this will allow you to write the city you want, then press the ” Enter ” button, which will show the people who match the name you entered, and this location.
Although this is a social network where most people in the world have an active account, it is not yet people who are not registered on this social network and do not want to be. However, sometimes these people want to find friends on Facebook in some way that they don’t need to create an account and although it seems impossible, it isn’t.
Taking into account that today there are several tricks to perform this type of social network searches and the most common are using Google search commands, as well as using sites that facilitate this .
See how to do that:
Using Google search commands
For some time, Google has dealt with a large number of commands that allow you to refine searches through the web browser. In other words, this platform puts at your disposal several search commands with which you can be more specific and quickly achieve what you need.
On this occasion, we will use the command to include words from which we can find a known Facebook user, even if you do not have an active account on this social platform. This include command simply consists of adding a plus (+) sign next to your search.
Fortunately, the process you have to perform is very simple and you just have to keep in mind that, when performing this type of search, you should not make any mistakes when entering the person’s specific data.
So here’s what you do:
- On your computer, proceed to open Google search and find yourself in the search bar.
- Once there, you must type in the name of the person you want to reach, followed by the plus sign (+) and then enter the word “Facebook” and other additional data if you want. This data can be your home city, the school or university where you study, your workplace, etc.
- To finish, just click on the search amplifier or press the Enter key and immediately the corresponding results will be displayed. So, you can enter these profiles (in the first option, usually) and know if any of them is the user you are looking for.
Using external webs and applications
Another of the best solutions for finding new friends on Facebook without having an account there, is using different sites or applications that allow people to search . These are generally known as people search engines and always deliver good results. Since then, they work to perform a search on social networks and from there find all the information about a particular user.
While that’s true, most of these online platforms work very similarly and have the ability to find a Facebook or LinkedIn profile and even find the names of the person you’re looking for, on personal blogs or on Web pages, if mentioned. In addition, there are some sites that show photos of people and some clues to contact them.
To show how it works, we’ll use Pipl and here we present the steps to be taken:
- From any web browser, access this site with the following web address: Pipl.com . You will see that it is a very simple platform, with an interesting design and the best of all, it is completely in Spanish .
- When you are inside the main page, you should locate yourself in the search bar, where you can enter the partial or full name of the person , as well as the phone number or e-mail.
- To filter more results, there’s also a bar where you can enter the location of that person and to make the process faster and more specific, we recommend that you write the city where this person resides.
- Then press the search magnifying glass or press Enter and in a matter of seconds they will show all the corresponding results .
There are also other external sites that we recommend to search for new or old friends, without having to register on a social network like Facebook:
- Yasni.com : This is a Spanish site that allows you to enter a person’s first, last or last name to locate them.
- WebMii.com : Another of the most used solutions to find a person through their first and last name. This is also in Spanish.
- PeekYou.com : Although it is in English, it is a good alternative to locate a user using their first name, last name, location, alias or phone number.
How do I use advanced search on Facebook to find new friends?
Previously, Facebook users could use an advanced search tool that, fortunately for many, allowed them to find everything with complete accuracy, even if you weren’t clear about the exact name of the person to search with. Even this function also offered the possibility of locating places, restaurants, etc. That someone recommended you and whose name you did not remember well.
This, thanks to this, had several search filters in a column that was identified as “Result Type“, which appeared after inserting any data in the search bar at the top of the Start. In this place, you found: Highlights, People, Pages, Places, Groups, Applications and Events .
However, the possibility of doing an “Advanced Search” within Facebook has disappeared since 2016. In view of this, as well as everything on the Internet, this social network has had many updates with which it has eliminated various tools. Therefore, now in 2019 , it is not possible to perform advanced searches while doing any consultation within the social network.
In fact, it’s best to be very skillful when doing a search on the corresponding search bar. That is, where you are in the recent news section. There, you can enter the person’s full name and, in addition, place the city where you live, the institute where you study, the company where you work, etc. For example: Pedro Perez + Place where you live + Name of the institution or university + Name of the company (of course without entering the “+” signs).
This post is also available in: Português (Portuguese (Brazil))