Cookies are small files that servers send to browsers so that they identify certain aspects of the sessions that users initiate on certain websitess. This simple and ingenious measure can considerably improve the experience of Internet users when browsing the Internet, since once they register certain trends they automate them and serve them to suggest new content of interest.
There are two types of cookies; login and permanent. The former remain active for the duration of a session on a website, which would be from the moment you enter the URL in the navigation bar until you close the website. The latter record your behavior on the website So that the next time you enter, it knows what content interests you and what actions you usually perform. They are generally kept in storage for a longer period that can be approximately 30 days, or until you decide to delete them manually.
Each browser works slightly differently, especially when it comes to configuration. However, activating and deactivating them is an extremely easy process that will not take more than a couple of minutes of your time.
- Open the default Android browser (Chrome).
- Make a touch on the three dots in the upper left corner of the interface, which will display a menu with multiple options.
- Locate the option “Setting”And touch on it.
- Then select the option “Advanced“And once there look for the”Content Options”.
- Once there you will see multiple options about the content that the websites show, among which are Cookies. Check them or uncheck them to enable or disable as the case may be and that’s it.
On iOS (iPhone)
If you have an iOS device, the process to block or allow them is as follows:
- Drag your finger up from the bottom of the screen to unfold the device control center.
- Choose “Settings”So you can see more modifiable aspects of the terminal. You can also enter here by searching in the applications menu.
- Scroll down until you find the option “Safari”Which corresponds to the default browser of iOS devices.
- Once there, scroll down until you reach the “Privacy & SecurityWhere you will find a series of switches.
Access the “Block cookies” switch and choose between the following options:
- Always block
- Allow only from current website
- Allow from the sites I visit
- Always allow
In case you use Chrome, what you should do is:
- Open the browser on your computer.
- Locate the three dots in the upper right corner on the screen and click on them.
- Look for the option “Setting”In the menu that will be displayed.
- This will open a new tab where all the browser settings will be.
- Scroll down to the bottom of the page and click on “Advanced”.
- Find the section “Privacy & Security”And locate the option“Content settings”.
- Once inside you must locate “cookies”And click on it, which will show you a series of aspects that you can modify.
- You will find 3 switches. You must locate the first one that corresponds to the option “Allow sites to save and read cookie data (recommended)”And turn it on or off to enable or disable cookies.
Among the three switches that appear, there is the option “Block Third Party Cookies”, This is a security measure implemented by Chrome to prevent untrustworthy websites from sending trackers to your browser. It is advisable to keep it on, since a malicious cookie can violate your privacy and steal important data from your browser, such as the passwords you save for example.
For this browser, the steps to follow are:
- Open the browser on your computer.
- Locate the three lines in the upper right corner on the screen and click on them.
- Search “Choices”In the menu that will be displayed.
- A new page will open where you will see all the browser configuration options. In the list of sections on the left of the screen, click on the mask icon that corresponds to the “Privacy & Security”From the browser.
- Once there, locate the option “Cookies and site data”.
- This will show you a series of options and you must check or uncheck the one that says “Accept cookies and site data”To enable or disable by checking” Block cookies and site data “.
- You can also add exceptions for websites that you usually browse and think you trust.
In this same section you can decide if you allow third-party cookies and how long you want them to be kept in your browser, at closing or how long they last.
If you are a MAC and Safari user, what you must do to activate these elements is:
- Open your browser.
- Click on “Safari”In the menu bar at the top of the screen.
- Look for the option “preferences“, Which will open a sub-window with multiple options in which you must enter the”Privacy”.
- In this section you will see all the cookie options, you must check or uncheck the option “Allow from the sites I visit”Enable or disable them in the browser. After this the process will be finished.
In Internet Explorer (Edge)
In the basic Microsoft browser the process is as follows:
- Open the browser and click on “Setting”On the gear icon in the upper right corner of the screen.
- Once in this section, go to the “Setting advanced”.
- Then go down to “Privacy and Services“and locate the cookies section
In a drop-down you can choose between:
- Block all …
- Block only third-party
- Do not block
- Open the browser and do click on the Opera logo in the upper left corner of the screen.
- Locate the option “Setting“, Which you can also access with the command ALT + P.
- Once there select “Advanced”In the options column on the left of the screen.
- Enter the section “Privacy & Security“And look for the option”Content Settings”.
- Once there, locate “cookies”, The first option on the list, which will open a mini section in which there is a switch to activate and deactivate them at will and that’s it. You already have cookies enabled in your Opera browser.
Risks of Cookies do you know the whole truth?
Despite how much improve user experience, these add-ons can be used by cybercriminals to access their private information. In fact, at the time they were detected by antivirus as dangerous files and this is not far from the truth. While in themselves they are not dangerous for your computer, they can facilitate cyber attacks.
In 2011 a vulnerability was discovered in Internet Explore, Microsoft’s browser, which allowed a man-in-the browser attack on users who shared certain cookies. These attacks are rarely common and browsers are generally prepared to avoid them, but if we take into account that every time new vulnerabilities are discovered, it is not surprising that new attacks may occur because of these files.
Another problem is the massive accumulation of them, this can make your internet speed is compromised and that you cannot even perform certain actions on some websites because you cannot store new ones. Therefore, it is advisable to clean them constantly.
Fortunately you can take some measures in this situation to protect yourself from such attacks, you just have to acquire certain habits that will make you less vulnerable in that sense.
Constantly update your browser
Browser developers are aware that cyberattacks are increasingly possibleTherefore, they spend their time monitoring their platforms in order to find them before hackers. For this reason, it is recommended that you make sure that you always have the latest version of the browser you use. Keeping these platforms up to date is the best way to protect yourself from potential vulnerability.
Clean your history regularly
These are stored in your search history. Get in the habit of cleaning it at least once a week to avoid problems. If you are worried about losing your saved passwordsYou will like to know that before each cleaning the explorer will ask you precisely if you want to delete this information, just telling it not to do so is enough to keep them.
If you need to do it, create a digital identity that nothing or little has to do with your person in the real world.
Modify the privacy of your browser
You can prevent the browser from sharing data on unreliable websites. You can do this in the same section where cookies are activated and deactivated.
Deleting your warehouse is as easy as activating or deactivating them, what you should do is:
- Open your browser and go to the “Setting”.
- Go to the section “Privacy & Security”.
- Once there, look for the section “Clear browsing data“Or”Clear browsing data” according to the case.
- When you do this, you will be shown the deletion options, mark the one that says “cookies”.
- Wait for the data to be deleted and voila, you have already cleared your history.
If you have any questions, leave them in the comments, we will answer you as soon as possible, and it will also be of great help to more members of the community. Thank you! 😉