When we surf the internet, it is very common that when entering different web pages, they appear pop-up windows with advertising or related content. These windows, also known as popups, have become one of the most annoying elements when moving around the web.
Its function is none other than to show users some type of content, usually advertising, that may be of interest to you or that has some kind of relationship with what you see on the website where it is. However, the abuse of pop-ups has made navigation is sometimes very complicated and that solutions be found to prevent more from appearing.
In this step by step guide we will explain how to enable or disable pop-ups whatever your web browser. If you want to make sure that none appear, that they can appear or even establish specific rules of appearance in programs such as Google Chrome, Internet Explorer, Firefox or even Safari. If you have the problem that advertising pages open alone while browsing the internet keep reading.
Steps to enable or block browser pop-ups
All browsers have their own methods of allowing or removing screen pops. Here we are going to dedicate ourselves to explain all you have to do in the most used nowadays.
For Google Chrome
If you are a Chrome user, follow these steps to control the appearance of pop-ups while browsing:
- With your computer on, open the browser Google Chrome.
- Go to the top right of the window and click on the icon with three points one above the other.
- Inside the drop-down, click on “Setting”.
- In this new window, scroll down to click on “Advanced settings”.
- Now, go to the section called “Privacy & Security”.
- Within this, look for the option “Content settings” and click on it.
- In the drop-down that appears, you have to go to “Pop-ups and redirects”, Clicking there.
- The first option that appears allows you to choose between “Locked” Y “Permitted”. Choose by clicking on the button on the right to enable and prohibit popups.
For Internet Explorer (Microsoft Edge)
In case you use Edge, or Internet Explorer, follow these guidelines to regulate pop-up windows.
- First of all, you have to open Internet Explorer, or Edge, by clicking on its icon.
- Once inside, you must click on the section “Settings and more”, represented with three ellipsis. It’s in the upper-right corner.
- Doing so opens a dropdown with various options. Click now on “Setting”.
- Scroll down to the bottom and click on the button “See advanced settings“, Within the section “Advanced settings”.
- Now, at the top of this same drop-down, look at the section “Block pop-ups”. The button below is where you can mark if you want them to appear or not.
For Mozilla Firefox
You can block or enable pop-up screens in Mozilla Firefox if you follow all these steps that we indicate below:
- As in other browsers, start by entering the Mozilla Firefox browser. Click on its icon or double click on its shortcut.
- Once it opens, look for the button with three horizontal lines “Menu”.
- In the drop-down that opens at the moment, you must choose “Options” and click there.
- Move through the different panels until you reach the one of “Privacy & Security” and click on it.
- Go down a bit until you find the section of “Permissions”. You can check or uncheck the checkbox “Block pop-up windows” to your liking.
In the case of wanting to take advantage of this function that allows regulate the appearance Depending on where you are, you have the option of setting some exceptions. To do this, do the following:
- Repeat all the steps explained above until you reach “Permissions”. Once there, click on “Exceptions …”.
- A new box will appear immediately with web page listings. There you can enter the trusted web addresses To allow them to show popups, as well as delete those that you do want to block.
If Safari is the browser that you usually use, the process to activate or remove pop-up windows is this that we explain:
- Open Safari as usual.
- When the browser window appears, you can press the key combination “Ctrl” + “,” Or click on the gear icon in the upper right corner. Within the bar that appears later, click on “preferences”.
- Now you will have in front of you a small window with which to access the different configuration sections. The first thing you have to do is click on “Security” in the icon bar.
- When you do, you will see that the content of the lower half changes. Look for the box “Block windows from automatically appearing”.
- You can click on it to check or uncheck it. If you leave it checked, the popus will be blocked; if not, you will allow them to appear.
Are you an Opera user? In that case, the steps you must carry out to enable or disable the popups are these that we are going to leave you below:
- Open the browser Operate by clicking on its icon.
- Once inside, open a new tab by clicking on the icon “+” from the top.
- Now, inside the navigation window, click on the button top right which has three lines.
- In this drop-down that appears, scroll down and click on “Go to browser settings”.
- Within the configuration panel, go down again to press, then, the section “Advanced”.
- Stay in the section of “Privacy & Security”And search “Content settings”. When you find it, click on it.
- In the list of settings that now appears, just go to “Pop-ups and redirects” and click there.
- Field “Permitted” it can be enabled or disabled whenever you want. You just have to click on the button next to it to do it and control the appearance of popups.
- If you prefer, you can control which websites launch pop-up windows and which do not with the two fields below.
If you have any questions, leave them in the comments, we will answer you as soon as possible, and it will also be of great help to more members of the community. Thank you! 😉