Microsoft Excel is the software par excellence when it comes to creating templates, spreadsheets and databases. But often the amount of cells and your information can be overwhelming. Especially for tasks that require a big data stream.
For this, the program has a tool called pivot table. Which is a kind of summary of other content in the same document. Works great for process large amounts of data and summarize them according to our needs.
And if that was not enough, Excel also has a assistant to generate and manage this tool.
What is the Excel pivot table wizard and how does it help us to create our tables?
As its name indicates it is a utility that will facilitate the way in which we create our dynamic tables. To do this, it uses pop-up windows that will guide us through all the necessary steps.
He does it through simple questions that allow us to understand the function of each stage of production, the utility will guide us until the dynamic table is ready to be configured.
What are the benefits of using the Excel PivotTable Wizard?
It should be noted that it is very easy to use. And taking into account the level of knowledge that is required when handling a pivot table, the assistant works in a very didactic way. For this reason it is recommended for people who have just entered the world of Excel tables.
However, it is worth mentioning which also has some disadvantages relative. One of them is that since version 2007 the software, the wizard not on the ribbon and activating it results in a series of extra steps when creating a table.
In this sense, a second characteristic is that you can reach the same result without using the wizard. In this way we will save several steps, although it is not recommended for the first few times. Since the utility can be very instructive.
The way to create a pivot table without the wizard is through the menu “Insert”. In the section “Boards”, it’s found “Dynamic table”.
Learn to use the Excel pivot table wizard step by step to create a
As we mentioned before, the quick access for this tool not on the ribbon from versions 2007 onwards.
However, it is possible to add it by performing these steps:
- Inside of the excel document that you are working go to the tab “Archive”, located on the ribbon.
- Inside it you will find the button “Options” at the bottom of the screen.
- Pressing on it will open the vpart of this category.
- At Side panel, click on “Quick-access tool bar”.
- You’ll see two sectors defined. On the one hand, available commands to add to the toolbar and for another those who are already in it.
- In the left column, change “Most used commands” by “All commands”.
- In it search and select “Pivot Chart and Pivot Chart Wizard”. (Note that they are ordered alphabetically)
- Press the button “Add”.
- And finally “To accept”.
After these steps, you will find the wizard in the upper left corner of the program. And now that you have this button, there is only start putting it into practice. For this you will have to apply the wizard on a previous table. This must be ordered and with the same types of values for each column or row.
To then continue with these steps:
- Press the button we just created. Or if you prefer, you can access it through a keyboard shortcut. “Alt + T + B” if Excel is in Spanish or “Alt + D + P” if it is in English.
- A little window. In which you must indicate where the data you will use is located for the pivot table. In the example we will use one that is in the same document.
- You must also select the type of analysis that you will create, choosing between one pivot table or a graphic.
- Decided this, we press “Next”.
- In the next box you must indicate the cells contain the data you want to use. To do this, you just have to drag the cursor over them while holding down the main button.
- Press “Next”.
- In the last window of the wizard you have to indicate where on the sheet the pivot table will be placed. It is simply a matter of selecting the cell that will serve as the upper left corner of it.
- To finish, press “Finalize”.
Once these steps have been completed, a box will be displayed in which the dynamic table will be located and an annex to the right of the screen where you will need to configure it.
If you have any questions, leave them in the comments, we will answer you as soon as possible, and it will also be of great help to more members of the community. Thank you! 😉