An IP address is a number assigned to a particular device and is used as a type of identification when surfing the net. It is an acronym for “Internet Protocol” and consists of eight numbers, separated into 4 groups by points.
To all the people who contract an Internet service the provider assigns an IP. This can be fixed or variable, depending on the technical characteristics of the operator and the possibility of contracting a payment service.
So that you know in depth what a fixed IP is about, we have developed this article. You will see the main advantages of this type of Internet protocol, as well as we will show you how you can set up a static IP quickly. Let’s get started!
What is a fixed IP and what are the differences with a dynamic one?
There are two types of IP: one public and one private. The first being the one used for browsing the web and the second is assigned as a specific number for each device that belongs to a private domain network.
In turn, these are divided into fixed and dynamic. The latter are those that change their address due to technical requirements made by the Internet service provider, through a DHCP. They are characterized by being free and can be used by other devices when they are no longer assigned to yours.
Instead, a fixed IP is one that constantly maintains its number. This being an important advantage in terms of stability in navigation. They are generally not free and are used especially in companies, it is also used to play online, or for virtual private networks and servers.
Not all Internet Service Providers provide this benefit to their customers. In our country, we can find Orange and Vodafone as clear examples. But you will find others in which you will not have the possibility of accessing a fixed IP.
What are the main advantages of having a fixed IP on my network?
Something we discussed in the previous paragraph regarding the advantages, and that is that it has a fixed IP has higher speed. This is because, as it is not constantly changing, it causes the internal processes of the server to take less time to allocate the IP.
We also told you that they are more stable connections. This happens because you can configure the entire environment in one direction, this being much more difficult when you count with a dynamic IP.
Also, since you have exclusive control of the address, no one else can use it, so you will ensure that the use is appropriate or the one you have chosen. This can often cause headaches, if a dynamic IP is used and a person carried out a cyberattack on any third party. Then that same IP is assigned to you, without you knowing anything about the illegal activities of your “Previous owner”.
Although its configuration is not automatic, you can perform with very simple steps (which we will show you below). So having a static IP is not a problem for people with a basic level of computer skills. If you are one of those who like to play online, a fixed IP address will solve many problems, since you will have a better speed and greater stability in navigation. In addition, it is also very useful for VoIP services.
Steps to configure a static IP on my computer fast and easy
Follow this guide for a Windows 10 computer:
- Click on Windows and access “Control Panel”.
- Choose the second option, “Network and Internet”.
- Choose “Center network and sharing”.
- Find the section “View basic network information and configure connections2.
- Click on the network “Wifi” in the countryside “Connections”.
- Tap on “Properties and then in “Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP / IPv4)”.
- Active “Use the following IP address:”.
- Write in the IP address field the one you have assigned according to the router device you have. Remember that the range must be between 2 and 254. That is, if you had assigned a IP 192.168.1.1, you can change it for one that is 168.1.8 or 192.168.1.35.
- In “Subnet mask”, you must write 255.255.0.
- And in the default gateway you will write the access. That is to say 168.1.1.
- Once you have finished entering all these data, you must leave the other fields empty and click on “To accept”.
- Then you must choose again “To accept” Y “Close”.
If you want to check that you have done a perfect job, press “Windows + R” and writes “Simbo”. You will see a DOS window, type “Ipconfig” and press “Enter”. Look for the section “WiFi Wireless LAN Adapter”, which is the IP address you have assigned.
If your computer has a Windows 8 OS, you must do these steps:
- Click on the key Windows and then write IP.
- A menu will appear in which you must choose Setting and then press in View network connections.
- Choose the wireless network adapter and right click on it.
- Choose TCP / IPv4 and then look for the option Properties, to click on it.
- Search Use the following IP address and write in the address that is within the range of the IP address according to the router you have, which should be between 2 and 254. That is, you must change the last number you see assigned.
- Then follow the same steps that we show you for Windows 10.
In case you have a Mac, you will have to do the following:
- Go to “System preferences” and select “Net”.
- Then you must click on “Advanced” and choose the tab “TCP / IP”.
- Modify the field “Configure IPv4” by choice “Use DHCP with manual address”.
- Write the “IP” in “IPv4 address” and click on “To accept”.
Is it really convenient to have a static IP today?
Although a static IP has greater stability and speed, it is also necessary to clarify that they are less secure. This is because attackers have a better chance if a computer always has the same IP. So that, it is necessary to take extra measures and more rigorous in terms of security.
Another factor why a fixed IP is often not recommended is that not all Internet service operators provide this service. So you must choose well before hiring one of them. In addition, the prices in the rates are much higher than for those who provide an interim.
From all this we can conclude that, currently it is not convenient to have a static IP.
Movistar stops offering free fixed IP to its users. How will it affect the service?
As of December 15, 2019, Movistar canceled its fixed IP address service for which you did not have to pay a penny for them. In this way, users had to choose if they wanted to modify their rate and pay around € 25 more in your monthly fee or have a dynamic IP.
This generated some inconveniences within the clients, since if they wanted to unsubscribe they had to take into account what is the rate they had contracted and the period of stay if it had been fulfilled or not. Since in case of not having exceeded this contract, the user had to pay a penalty for unsubscribing.
If you want you can find out what is your IP With our free tool.
If you have any questions, leave them in the comments, we will answer you as soon as possible, and it will surely be of great help to more members of the community. Thank you! 😉