By mentioning a program that works with tables and makes graphs, immediately arises Excel in our thinking. And is that is the most used software in this category.
One of the factors that makes it so popular is the number of functions it has next to the most complex tools. Both living in the same environment.
Another of his advantage is the ease with which a table can be customized. This way just enough a couple of steps to leave them more attractive visually. If you want to learn more about it, we recommend the next post.
What is the format of a spreadsheet and what are the advantages of applying it?
The table format is a tool that provides, in a simple way the creation of a graphic style to a certain range of cells. After being applied, they will be highlighted above the rest of the blank document. The main advantage lies in the ease with which we will give colors and borders to a set of cells determined. Regardless of whether they are blank or already have information. In this way we will save valuable steps avoiding colorize and outline one by one the boxes.
In turn, a table with format It has its own tab where we can customize it visually. For this we can use a large list of predetermined styles with quite successful designs. Also, we can modify him the one we choose parameters as headers, totals, first Y last column, bands and also him filter automatic.
Steps to format your Excel tables to make them more visually appealing
As we mentioned at the beginning it is quite a simple process and that it does not require previous knowledge to be able to use this tool.
Once you’ve opened or entered the values in an Excel spreadsheet, follow these steps:
- Select range (set of cells) that you want to include in the table. It is important that if it has headers (the elements that describe the represented values), include them too.
- Inside the tab “Start” go to the section “Styles” and press “Format as table”.
- In the displayed panel you will find three categories different “Clear”, “Medium”, Y “Dark” which in turn contain the various options. Choose the one you like the most.
- The program will ask you through a little window if the selection includes headings and it will show you the chosen range. Press “To accept” if appropriate. OR “Cancel” to modify and repeat.
Those are the basic steps and you will have your table ready. However, if you choose a cell in it, you can access the “Design” corresponding to “Table tools”.
In it you have buttons to add and remove elements of it:
- Header row. Enable or remove column titles.
- Totals row. This option add a row with the sum of the numerical values contained in the table.
- Rows with bands. Insert within the scale the tones of row colors. This facilitates the reading and differentiation between them.
- First column. It gives you a look of double entry table to table.
- Last column. It does the same as the previous option, but with the right.
- Banded columns. Like the rows with bands, gives a darker tone to the column through.
- Filter button. Include that element in the headings. Enabling it allows filter the content of each column by different categories. It is fully graphics compatible and recommended for large tables.
Learn how to save your own formatting styles in Excel to use them in all your documents
If the colors and formats defined by the program were insufficient for you. Excel offers you the possibility to create your own styles and thus be able to apply them to your next tables.
For this it is necessary to follow these indications:
- Go to the section “Styles” inside the tab “Start” and press the button “Format as table”.
- Near the end of the list click on “New table style”.
- A window will appear with a list of table components. Choose the first item you want to modify and press “Format”.
- Within each section you can change the source, the edges and the filling.
- To confirm the change and return to the previous window, press “To accept”.
- Repeat this operation on each element.
- When you have made all the modifications you wanted, check the box “Set as default table style for this document”.
- Click on “To accept” to end.
If you have any questions, leave them in the comments, we will answer you as soon as possible, and it will surely be of great help to more members of the community. Thank you! 😉