Amazon Kindle it is the e-book reader created by Amazon for a few years, and which is currently used by million users. And this tool not only allows read books, it also offers the option of store those of your preference so that later you can access them in a faster way, and finally allows you buy books so you can have with you at all times.
However, there is a slight resemblance between what is the Amazon e-book reader with Apple operating system, and is that both companies are very strict when accepting the different types of existing formats, this has led them to have many incompatibilities with different files.
When you want read a book on this reader on many occasions it is not a so simple task, especially if the ebooks has an incompatible format. Therefore, here we are going to teach you which are the compatible formats of ebooks with Kindle so that you take it into account at the time of choose an eReader to view it, or even for create one and sell it.
List of all Ebook formats supported by the Kindle eReader
As mentioned above, one of the main drawbacks at the time of wanting to open an e-book in the Amazon processor is the format compatibility, Taking into account that Kindle is supported with a very small number of ebook extensions. Therefore, here we are going to show you the list of which are the supported formats with this tool so that you can take them into account when using it.
To do this, follow the list that we will show you below:
- AZW: This is a format created by amazon to be used in your kindle tool, it is used mainly for those Pre-7th generation devices.
- AZW3: Another format Amazon native, who at the time of preparing your e-book reader took the initiative of create your own extensions to be executed by said application. In the case of AZW3 or as it is also known Kindle format 8, it can only be read by amazon program and which is available for the latest generations of the application, that is, of the seventh generation onwards.
- PRC: This is a very common format in e-books and that can be read today by most of web readers as long as this no have any kind of DRM protection.
- MOBI: Known as Mobipocket ebook, is a open source standard specialized in the edition of electronic books, it was bought by Amazon industry one years ago. Therefore, it can also be read by the amazon app as long as you don’t have a DRM protection.
- PDF: One of the most popular and used formats around the world, it is capable of running a large number of files of all kinds, and although it is not known as a ebooks extension, the processor Kindle is able to read it. Therefore, it becomes an excellent option for save notes or notes and then review them with this program. Although the most recommended is always convert PDF files to a specialized format for ebooks to achieve a better result, especially if this contains images or videos.
- TXT: This is a format of plain and basic text, and where currently very few ebooks are saved because they are too simple. But as same as PDF becomes a very good option for save basic and short notes and then open them in this reader.
- DOC: It is also one of the most popular extensions today, it consists of save plain text and is used mainly by the Microsoft Word word processor, which makes it a very popular extension. The same is also compatible with e-book reader.
- DOCX: Like DOC, this meets the same purposes and is also related to Microsoft Word word processor. However, this is the new text format Word that allows to get some more advanced tools. Like DOC is also available for be read on Kindle.
- JPEG: This is another of the formats available for the Amazon appHowever, it is important to mention that view images or insert images in this program it can be quite a headache for both the author and the reader, since this usually appears in grayscale and also both color as quality shown will not be the most optimal.
Other of the available and supported formats with this program are PNG, GIF or BMP, all of these being very common today In Internet and which are capable of be read by this program. However, it is important to mention that these three formats are not highly recommended to use on Kindle, since like images in JPEG will not be seen in its best quality, which can become a true problem for most.
And finally, we must mention that not compatible with ePUB, even though this is one of the most used extensions in e-books. Therefore maybe there are many books that you will not be able to see with this processor unless convert them to one of the supported extensions with the application from amazon.
How do I change the format of my digital book to make it compatible with Amazon Kindle?
In case you have a digital book in a format not compatible with the Amazon Kindle reader, then it is best to do a change of formate so this can be read by the tool. The easiest method to do this is by using the free “Caliber” software.
Therefore, you can make use of the gauge converter and pass your digital book in the format you want, either to AZW, being this one of the formats created by Amazon for this tool.
To do This conversion with the help of caliber will require you to perform each of these steps:
- The first will be download and install the software from “Caliber” available for Windows, Linux and Mac.
- Once installed the following will be to run it, there you will import the digital book that you have in the incompatible format, which can be EPUB.
- When it has been uploaded to the software, you must connect your eReader Kindle to computer for Caliber to detect.
- Now select the ebook what do you want to pass and right click on it. There select “Send to device”> “Send in specific format to device”> “Main memory”.
- After this the software will start convert the ebook in a format that is compatible with amazon and automatically will be added to the reader.
If you have any questions, leave them in the comments, we will answer you as soon as possible, and it will also be of great help to more members of the community. Thank you! 😉