Surely on many occasions you have wondered what the initials of the title mean and what they are for, because it is something that we find, often, in options of our equipment. In this post we are going to answer your questions, explaining to you how you can change and configure DNS on any operating system.
When you want to access a website, this must be done by entering the IP address of the server where it is hosted; but since this data is not known by the user, his domain name is used, that is, the name of the site. The DNS (Domain Name System) are in charge of making this translation to take us from the name entered to the IP of the web in question.
The DNS server is the one that uses a database that stores all the names domain names on the Internet to obtain the IP address and location of the server in question. If you are interested in knowing how you can change these connection accesses, continue reading and find the operating system that your computer has as we will teach you to modify them in all of them.
Steps to change DNS in Windows
Changing DNS in Windows is a simple task and we We are going to show you how to do it step by step:
Configure in Windows 10
Changing the DNS in version 10 of the Windows operating system does not have any complications. In fact, it is probably the system where it is more easily obtained compared to others as in the case of Android or iOS mobile phones, for example.
This process can be done by any user, but those with less experience should follow the steps to avoid making mistakes within the system. You can use the IP addresses that we propose at the end of the text or venture out and find others on your own that are of greater interest to you.
Either way, We indicate the steps to be able to change the DNS in Windows 10:
- We position ourselves in the Cortana search engine and write “Setting”. We can also access the same place by pressing the gear that appears in the Windows start menu.
- Next, click on the option “Network and Internet”, which is located first in the first row starting from the right.
- We are going to “Change network settings”.
- Within that screen, we must look for the option “Change adapter options”.
- This is going to lead us to the window “Network connections”.
- There we will see all the connections that we have on our computer and we must look for the one from which we want to change the DNS. If it is a home computer with a single wired connection, that will be the one we must modify. In the case that we use a laptop, a WIFI connection may appear. The best thing is to put the same DNS on all connection adapters, for which it would only be necessary to repeat the process one by one.
- Now we position ourselves on the one we want to change and click on it with the right button mouse.
- Several options will appear, but we must click on “Properties”.
- Among the tabs that appear, click on “Network Features”.
- We look for the option “Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP / IPv4)”. We mark it with the mouse and click on the button “Properties” or we do, directly, double click.
- At the bottom, we enable the option “Use the following DNS server addresses”.
- Now we fill in the two fields with the DNS addresses that we want to use.
- In addition, the option must be checked “Validate configuration on exit”.
- We finish by clicking on the button “To accept”.
Configure in Windows 7
Configuring the DNS in Windows 7 is a very simple job, being carried out in an identical way to how we have just seen, so it does not require anything new.
Here are the steps to follow:
- First, you must open the “Control Panel” from the “Start” button.
- Then click on “View network status and tasks”.
- In the left area you must select the option “Change adapter settings”.
- We position ourselves on the network connection that we want to modify and click with the right button.
- Now we are going to choose the option “Properties”.
- We choose the option “Internet Protocol Version 4”.
- We click on “Properties”.
- Now we must choose “Use the following DNS server addresses”.
- In the boxes that appear we include some of the DNS of our choice.
- Click on the button “To accept” and the menu closes.
Configure in Windows 8 and 8.1
If your computer has the Windows 8 or 8.1 operating system installed, do not despair because you have the option to change the DNS with little effort and, again, as we have already seen in the previous cases.
In the next few lines we show you how you can do it step by step:
- First you must open the “Control Panel”. This can be done with the key combination, Windows + S.
- Let’s go to the menu “Center network and sharing”.
- Now you should access the option “Change adapter settings”.
- Within the connection we are using, we must check the default DNS. We double click on the one we want to modify.
- Once inside, we look for the option “Internet Protocol Version 4 (IPv4 / TCP)”, we keep it selected and click on the button “Properties”.
- Inside there, we must mark “Use the following DNS server addresses”.
- Now fill in the two fields below to assign the new addresses.
- Click on “To accept” and the DNS will be modified.
Guide to changing and modifying DNS servers on Mac computers
Perhaps you are a user of the Apple platform and have this need. Don’t worry because, if you are a little familiar with the most basic fields, you will be able to change and modify the DNS servers on your Mac computer without major inconvenience.
You just have to follow the steps that we indicate in the lines that follow:
- On the top toolbar, a fan icon. We must click on it with the right button.
- Go to select “Open Network preferences panel”.
- We choose the connection option we want to change, that is, the connection with cable, with WiFi.
- Click on the option “Advanced…”, located in the lower right.
- Next we choose the window DNS.
- We must click on the button “+” to be able to include the new DNS that we want our team to have.
- When we have added all those that interest us, click on the button “To accept” and they stay saved.
Steps to change DNS in Linux
If you don’t conform to trends and want to continue using this OS, don’t worry; We are going to show you how you can change DNS in Linux.
Here are the complete steps:
- Initially you must click on “Terminal”.
- Go to “Preferences”.
- Reaches “Network connections”.
- Select connection you want to change between wired or wireless.
- Once selected, click on “Edit”.
- Click on “IPV4 Settings”.
- Check the method “Handbook”.
- In the address option you can add more.
- Click on the button and fill in the field.
- To finish, click on the button “Apply”.
How to modify DNS in Ubuntu operating systems?
The way we have just indicated gives us slight clues to know how to change the DNS in any type of Ubuntu OS. Let’s see the steps that follow:
- Must be open terminal.
- Then you should write “nano / etc / resolv.conf”, or it will open a text document with the terminal editor.
- We look for the location of the lines that begin with nameserver.
- We move down two lines the DNS that come by default and in which we are free we must write “Nameserver” followed by a space and direction of the DNS that we want to use.
- In the following lines we do the same, but indicating the Secondary DNS.
- We save the changes by clicking on “Ctrl” + “O”.
- Click on “Intro” so that everything closes properly.
How to configure and change DNS on your mobile device?
Sometimes, we have the feeling that our phones are browsing slower and we blame it on problems with the network. But with today’s speeds and rates, it may well be another reason. Maybe it’s time to change DNS on Android or iOS.
To be able to do it in a simple way, we have created two “step by step”:
For Android smartphone and tablets
If you have a phone or tablet with the Android operating system, you will see how it is a very intuitive and effective procedure for users with little experience.
The following steps must be followed:
- Access the menu “Settings”.
- Within it, select “Network and Internet”, “WiFi and networks” or similar.
- You must click on “Wifi”.
- Open the Option menu of the network in question (by holding it down or with a small button).
- Now, choose the option “Modify Network”‘.
- If prompted, you will have to enter the network password.
- It is necessary to display the menu “Advanced Options”.
- Position on “IP settings”.
- To select “Static” or “static IP”.
- Now you must scroll to the section DNS 1 and put the address chosen.
- Same with DNS 2, which will be high school.
- Save the changes so that they remain.
On iPhone and iPad with iOS
Setting up a DNS server for an iPad or an iPhone is a very simple job for any user, whatever their level of computer skills.
If you follow the steps that I indicate right now, you too will be able to do it in a minute:
- In the first place, you must go to the section where the “WiFi settings”.
- Next, you must click on the button that has the ‘“i” and that accompanies the network you are using.
- Now click on “DNS Configuration”.
- You must select the option “Handbook”.
- Touch go entering the addresses.
- Save the changes and you will have finished successfully.
List of operational public DNS servers
Finally, and in case you are somewhat lost on the subject or do not feel like heating your head, we have made a selection of the best DNS servers that you can connect to. As you can imagine, they are proven, reliable and offer good connection and use options.
List of the best DNS servers with their addresses:
- Alternate DNS: 22.214.171.124 / 126.96.36.199
- CleanBrowsing: 188.8.131.52 / 184.108.40.206
- Cloudflare: 220.127.116.11 / 18.104.22.168
- Comodo Secure DNS: 22.214.171.124 / 126.96.36.199
- DNS Advantage: 188.8.131.52 / 184.108.40.206
- DNS: 220.127.116.11 / 18.104.22.168
- Dyn: 22.214.171.124 / 126.96.36.199
- Fourth Estate: 188.8.131.52
- FreeDNS: 184.108.40.206 / 220.127.116.11
- Google: 18.104.22.168 / 22.214.171.124
- GreenTeamDNS: 126.96.36.199 / 188.8.131.52
- Hurricane Electric: 184.108.40.206
- IBM Quad9: 220.127.116.11
- Level3: 18.104.22.168 / 22.214.171.124
- Neustar: 126.96.36.199 / 188.8.131.52
- Norton ConnectSafe: 184.108.40.206 / 220.127.116.11
- OpenDNS Home: 18.104.22.168 / 22.214.171.124
- OpenNIC: 126.96.36.199 / 188.8.131.52
- puntCAT: 184.108.40.206
- SafeDNS: 220.127.116.11 / 18.104.22.168
- SmartViper: 22.214.171.124 / 126.96.36.199
- UncensoredDNS: 188.8.131.52 / 184.108.40.206
- Verisign: 220.127.116.11 / 18.104.22.168
- WATCH: 22.214.171.124 / 126.96.36.199
If you have any questions, leave them in the comments, we will answer you as soon as possible, and it will be of great help to more members of the community. Thank you! 😉