In just one year, more than 30 million Raspberry Pi units can be sold, which is why it is currently quite popular with the community of enthusiastic developers who want to use this kit in their projects.
Many of them try to improve the functioning of this board, some succeed, but most damage this plate by not having taken some precautions.
Throughout this article, We will show you how to improve the performance of your Raspberry Pi in its versions Pi 2 and Pi 3, which are the models in which some adjustments can be made with a certain degree of security.
What are the main factors that influence the operation of my Raspberry Pi?
As if it were any other computer, using a Raspberry device must ensure that the model fits the tasks you want to assign it and avoid an unnecessary workload:
The correct model
Before buying a Raspberry board, you must isBe sure you know what you are going to use it for. In the market there are different models and processing capacity. In addition, we find differences in RAM ranging from 1 GB to 8 GB. Why should you know this? Because if you have a 1 Gb Raspberry, but it actually requires a computer with 4 Gb of fast memory, then you expose the plate to forced labor and this is a sentence of certain death.
All computers have one thing in common: they hate heat. Even if you think that, with that size, Raspberry boards do not get hot, you are wrong! All its components can be damaged when exposed to high temperatures. To avoid it, you should try to have your computer in a well ventilated environment And it takes a powerful heatsink when you know that the task you assign to the team can overheat it.
Ensures a stable diet
Most Raspberry computers are powered by a USB port and, by means of an adapter, it is connected directly with the 110 v type current. Many people believe that any cable can work, but it’s not like that. You should always ensure that the power supply you use is the one authorized by the Raspberry Pi Foundation and that it complies with the volts and amperage that the equipment really requires to function without risk of overheating or short circuiting.
Take care of the processor
The ARM processors that Raspberry devices use are of high quality, but when people try to overdo the settings to improve their performance, actually reduce the life of this component. In this article, we will show you the risks of making exaggerated adjustments in order to make the team faster. The final suggestion is to make slight changes to the way the processor does its job.
Take care of the Micro SD card
Remember that Raspberry computers store information only through a Micro SD card, which is more vulnerable than a hard drive, but it is the only option there is. Only use cards from generation 10 onwards, this way you ensure that the equipment works well at all times. When the computer has problems in starting, it is likely due to a memory card failure and not the operating system.
Avoid constantly moving it
Its small size makes it a portable device, but it does not mean that you can take it wherever you want as if it were a smartphone. In the background, A Raspberry is a computer and deserves to be treated with care and respect. Although the components are soldered to a single board, strong movements, falls and rubbing may affect its performance and technical support assistance is required to correct the faults.
Learn step by step how to boost the performance of my Raspberry Pi to make it fly
Now that you know how to care for a Raspberry Pi computer, in any of its versions, you can make some changes to improve its performance without damaging the hardware:
Use good power supply
These are some of the best options on the market to correctly supply power to a Raspberry computer:
- Canakit: it has a 5.1 VDC / 3.0A output, with an operating input range from 96 to 264 VAC. Its connection cable is about 1.5 m long and has a USB-C connector
- SKU: This brand offers a RA004 model with which you can receive between 100 and 240 volts and between 50 and 60 Hz. The output is 5 volts and also has a USB connector, which is the standard used by Raspberries.
- MakerHawk: This manufacturer offers an uninterruptible power supply UPS that guarantees the full operation of your Raspberry Pi, even in the Pi 4 version. It has two USB ports and comes with two rechargeable batteries. The output is 5 volts.
- NorthPada: As in the older Raspberry models it is complex to get a power supply, so we leave you this model that works with a 5 volt output and has a USB connector. The length of the cable is 150 centimeters.
- Argon ONE: this is a good option when the feeder that comes standard with your new Raspberry is damaged. The manufacturer guarantees enough power for the computer to handle heavy tasks. Its output is 5.25 V and with an amperage of 3.5.
Use heat sink
Heat sinks, unlike what people think, they do not seek to cool the plate, what is desired is to expel the heat generated by the components and avoid damaging them.
We will tell you how to connect a heat sink:
- An example will be used Raspberry Pi 4 B.
- The idea is reduce at least 15 ° C.
- A heat sink it should go on the processor.
- A second heatsink must be installed in the LAN chip.
- Have at hand both heatsinks.
- Use tweezers to do each installation.
- Remove the adhesive cover with your fingers at the base of the heatsink.
- Carefully place the heatsink above the component.
There are plastic, copper and aluminum heatsinks on the market. Different developers have found that heat dissipates better when the material is aluminum. In addition, it is cheaper and accessible for your pocket. At most, the components that generate heat should not exceed 60 ° C, when performing heavy tasks. Heatsinks made for the Pi 2 and Pi 3 models do not work on the Pi 4 model, so you must purchase an exclusive kit for the latter model.
Increase Processor Overclok
This is a process that consists of changing the configuration of your processor in order to increase its performance to almost double. The only downside is that nobody recommends this process unless you are an expert developer. and know that the equipment will not have failures. It is a procedure that is under the full responsibility of the client.
This is what is required:
- A heat sink on your processor (required)
- A Micro SD card tenth generation and with the operating system.
- A power source reliable, in good condition.
Once you have all these requirements, even then there may be failures, you must update the firmware of the Raspberry Pi.
Open the serial terminal and enter these lines of code:
sudo apt dist-upgrade
- Restart the operating system, in Raspbian it is done with the command
You must verify what is the default speed of the processor.
For that, you can put this command:
- The common is that base speed is 600 Mz in the case of Pi 4 model.
It is time to begin the process of changes in the parameters of the processor, which is known as “overclocking”:
- Write the following code
“sudo nano /boot/config.txt”.
- Find the section that shows the default speed:
Rewrite the configuration with the following lines:
#uncomment to overclock the arm. 700 MHz is the default” over_voltage=2 arm_freq=1750
- Save changes with “CTRL + O” (press RETURN) and use “CTRL + X” to exit Nano.
- Restart your Raspberry with the command
What are the main risks of maximizing the performance of a Raspberry Pi?
Even if you are a professional expert developer, you should never increase the processing capacity to the maximum with the procedure that we have just shown you.
There are some risks you should be aware of if you overclock:
- When you don’t have a heatsink, the equipment is likely to be destroyed within a few days of making the adjustment.
- The temperature increase causes the computer to shut down.
- Long-term, can damage the Micro SD card and lose all the data you have.
- When making these adjustments a higher temperature rise is achieved and the life of the board can be seen reduced.
- When you leave the processing to the maximum, even the heatsink can’t do its job well.
- The increased power also causes overheating of the plate.
If you have any questions, leave them in the comments, we will answer you as soon as possible, and it will surely be of great help to more members of the community. Thanks! 😉