Have you ever wanted to surf the Internet without being able to trace the origin of your connection?. An excellent idea to keep your Privacy online in computers Windows, is using Tor Browser.
Simply put, it can be said that it is a network based on layers and layers that allow the user to remain anonymous. Although it may seem like a complicated process or focused on web experts, the truth is that anyone can access the system without problems.
Specifically in this post, we will tell you how to install and use Tor Browser on Windows so you have more privacy online. In this way, the work of track traffic to get to you, and you won’t have to worry about a thing.
Why use Tor Browser to browse the Internet?
First of all, you need to clarify what does TOR mean. This is the abbreviation of the term The Onion Router or the Onion Router. It is given this name because it allows users to browse anonymously through a layer-based system (hence the name “onion”). In this sense, you can go jumping from layer to layer to make it increasingly difficult to track traffic from which you navigate.
So the greater the number of users connected to the network, the more information will be kept hidden. This means that your route is not linear. That is how your route will be bouncing through different servers all over the world. As additional information, you should know that there are up to 5,000 different nodes of Tor that work in order to preserve your privacy. In summary, some main reasons to use Tor Browser is an excellent idea are: to have greater privacy and to avoid being tracked By others.
What tools does Tor give us to improve our online privacy?
The Tor browser already comes with different patches as they are NoScript, HTTPS Everywhere, etc, who will be in charge of protecting your security and privacy. For that reason, you should not install additional plugins, because it can be counterproductive and compromise your privacy. When you use this type of network, the usual way by which you browse is modified by a layer system. So the packets don’t go from your computer to the router, then to the ISP, and finally to the server.
During the process, there are various nodes through which you will go through. This means that the information goes from a input node, Y to get to the exit node you first have to go through many intermediate nodes that will encrypt the packet data in each of the steps. Every time it reaches an intermediate node, it decrypts it and re-encrypts it to forward it to another intermediate. Thus, the data packet will always remain encrypted until it reaches its final destination. It is thanks to this mechanism that you can preserve the Privacy.
But an important aspect must be highlighted, and that is that the navigation speed worsens a little because the road is longer and with more stops. With this in mind, you should know that you don’t need to be an expert user to access. When you use the Tor network, it automatically changes both your IP adress, Like the private data that is recorded on the Internet. This makes it very difficult for the data in a package to link to a specific user.
Learn step by step how to install and use Tor Browser on Windows to get the most out of it
Previously, to be able to work with Tor Browser the user had to have knowledge in the area because its installation was something complex. The reason is that a proxy to be able to transfer the traffic from the computer to the different nodes of the network. Other than that, it was necessary to connect the browser to the proxy. However, this complex procedure is a thing of the past. Nowadays, all you have to do is download a browser adapted for this purpose.
For you to do it correctly, we show you the step by step to install and use Tor Browser on Windows computers:
Downloading from the Tor network supports multiple operating systems such as: Windows, MacOS, Linux and Android.
In this sense, the steps to follow to download it in all cases are:
- Go to the official Tor website in the following link “https://www.torproject.org/es/download”.
- The different operating systems for which it is compatible to download Tor.
- Select the one you use clicking on the download button.
- In the popup window, choose destination folder in which it will be filed. If the one that is shown by default is not the one you want, click on the button Examine.
Once you have selected the destination folder in which the files will be archived. data corresponding to the Tor network, it’s time to install it on your computer. After selecting the destination folder, click the button Install.
With the help of installation wizard, all the necessary files are extracted on your computer in the location you have selected. This results in an anonymous, portable and secure web browser that you can copy anywhere and take it with you on external storage devices like a USB stick.
The last step is the configuration to start using Tor Browser. When the web browser extraction is complete, you will be able to see a folder that will be named something similar to “Start Tor Browser”.
Click on the icon for that folder and a connection window to said network will open that is named “Tor network settings”. In general, as you will not use any proxy or any type of traffic filtering program, you just have to click on the button “Connect” to start enjoying the network. Then the new browser will open. From there, you can start browsing the Tor network without the need for any additional configuration.
Tips when using Tor Browser
If you are already determined to take advantage of the Tor network to maintain your privacy, you need to take into consideration some tips for a more effective experience.
That way, you can protect your identity and avoid getting into trouble:
- Do not install plugins or extensions apart from those that are already incorporated. This is because it can cause general problems when browsing, as well as privacy and security problems.
- Don’t download torrent files while using this network, because you’re going to saturate and worsen browsing. In addition to that, remember that torrent clients send your real IP address, so the objective of maintaining privacy would not be being fulfilled.
- Be careful when downloading files (especially those with DOC or PDF format), because they can reveal both your identity, like your IP address or it can even install some malware.
- Do not log in to your social networks while using this network. Some examples in these cases are your Facebook account, email, Amazon, bank accounts, among others.
- Do not use personal information such as important dates, proper name, etc.
- Check that the websites you visit are HTTPS, to make sure they protect your private information while you browse them.
- Try not to use double authentication systems that are associated with your mobile number.
If you have any questions, leave them in the comments, we will answer you as soon as possible, and it will surely be of great help to more members of the community. Thank you! 😉