In the case of IP it means Internet protocol, which is used mainly to perform the delivery of datagrams between hosts on a network. This is basically what allows the data can be sent from a computer to another computer over the Internet. This protocol is usually characterized by working at high speed.
Therefore, when we refer to IPv4, we are simply referring to what is the fourth version of the Internet Protocol, which has been adapted and is used on a large scale for data communication between different types of networks. Currently this internet protocol has become one of the most important.
In accordance with all this, here we are going to explain a little more about what the IPv4 Y how it currently works in computer networks. Considering that this is based on packet-switched layer networks, like Ethernet.
What is IPv4 and what is this protocol for in computing?
Nowadays IPv4 is the addressing protocol most used in most devices, and this is because internet providers they have not yet decided to go completely to what is the new IPv6 protocol. That way IPv4 has become a fundamental Internet tool, since it allows identify the different computers that are connected to a network.
They also have 32 bits, what allows to offer more than 4.3 billion unique addresses, although the vast majority are already reserved to perform some specific tasks, such as Private IP (LAN) ranges that are not routable over the Internet.
Usually a IPv4 address It is represented under a decimal format that is separated by points, the 32 bits are separated into octets of 8 bits each. Therefore, these addresses are mostly written with 4 decimal numbers that go from 0 to 255. An example of this would be: 22.214.171.124
If a device does not have this address, it cannot be identified on the network, this will not allow you to transfer or receive information with other devices on a public or private network. Usually there is a minimum address that can be 0.0.0.0.0 or a maxim like 255.255.255.255.255.
What are the advantages and limitations of this version of the IP protocol?
The IP protocol or network connections, is a protocol that has a lot of rules that everyone must abide by the software or companies in order that all its products are compatible with each other. Each of the parts of this protocol has the function send emails, transfer data or files, route messages, transfer data using data blocks or packages, among many others.
Then, We are going to introduce you to the main advantages of this tool, as well as its limitations:
- Lower operating costs to Internet providers.
- It presents a great reliability to users.
- It’s compatible with standard tools to analyze the operation of different types of networks.
- It has a lot of Assigned IPs.
- Used both for large and medium networks.
- May be slow in networks have a medium low traffic volume.
- As usual are more complicated to configure and maintain.
IPv4 vs IPv6 How are they different and which is better?
All this has created a large number of doubts among users, where most are unaware of the differences between the two. protocols and which of them is the best. Thus, IPv4 and IPv6 are related to the standards of the IP addresses, they have as objective define an IP address.
The number that differentiates one from the other simply refers to the version number, being one of them version 4 and the other version 6. Until now, version 4 is still the most used today because the most providers they have not gone to the new version of the protocol.
Today there are some differences between these two versions despite the fact that both are IP addresses and which we will show you below:
- IPv4 being an older version no more new IP addresses to assign, while IPv6 being the new version offers new IP addresses for your devices.
- Version 4 have IP addresses which are with numerical values of 32 bit that are written in the decimal system, While for version 6 they have 128 bit that are written in the hexadecimal system.
- Total, of space in version 4:294,967,928 addresses.
- Total, of space in version 6: 340.282.366.920.938.463.463.374.607.431.768.211.456.
Can the version of the IP protocol I use affect my Internet browsing speed?
To be able to assure what is the exchange of information on a network where there are millions of connected computers each of these computers must be identified. For this, each of these devices has a IP number or IP address, taking into account that any package that circulates either website, emails, among others contain the computer’s IP address destination.
In general, these addresses are made up of a series of numbers corresponding to a country, a specific domain and the team itself. And it is that when a computer connects to the network it is assigned in a way dynamic a temporary IP address.
The correspondence between IP and the domain name that is stored in computers is usually constantly updated, and these are called DNS or domain name servers. The DNS they are only in charge of translating domain names so that they are easy to remember in the server’s IP address where they are housed the webpages that we constantly seek.
Keep in mind that browsing speed is directly influenced by DNS, for which the most recommended is to choose the most suitable DNS for this. Thus, the IP version that you are using is not directly related to the speed of your internet, this being a factor that will depend more on the DNS you are using.
IPv4 test How can I find out my IPv4 address quickly and easily?
Although users do not interact directly with their internet protocol, most of the daily users wonder What is your IP?, either because a specific site asks for them or for any other reason. With this in mind, here we are going to explain how you can know your IPv4 address on your computer in an easy and fast way.
Know the IP in Windows
If you computer is windows you have different ways to get your private IP address, To carry out this you must perform the following steps:
- The first thing will be to enter the system and right click on the icon “Networks” and there you select the option of “Open the Network and Sharing Center.”
- Then click on the link “Change adapter settings” which you will find on the side of the window.
- Now select the network card you are using and click with the right button of your mouse on it, there select the section of “State”.
- Then a box will appear showing the status of the chosen connection. There select the option “Detail” and look for the “IPv4 address” On the right side you will see a series of numbers which will be your IP adress.
Another alternative that we can find in The Windows operating system to know our IP is as follows:
- In this case it is necessary to use the key combination Windows + R, and there you write the command “Cmd.exe”.
- Then it will start the Windows terminal.
- There you must write the command “Ipconfig”.
- There you will see a list with all the data of your network connection. In this list you must locate the network card what are you using and there you can find the IP address that is assigned to your team.
Know the IP address on Mac
If you are using a apple computer and you want to know the private IP address of your computer you will have to perform the following steps:
- The first thing will be to access “System Preference”.
- Then select the option “Net”.
- There the window of the box will open “Net”.
- Now on the side of the window select the connection that you are using.
- In the apparatus “State” you will be prompted the connection details, as well as the IP address that your Mac is using.
Know the IP address in Linux
As it happens in Windows and Mac operating systems, there are different ways to discover this address. However, here we are going to explain the easiest and fastest way to do it.
To do this, follow the steps that we will explain below:
- To find the address from your computer Ubuntu right click on the icon “Connection to networks” located on the top panel.
- There you will see several options where we will select “Connection information”.
- In the box that appears on the screen, you will find the section of IPv4, there you will find the corresponding digits of it.
If you have any questions, leave them in the comments, we will answer you as soon as possible, and it will also be of great help to more members of the community. Thank you! 😉