URL acronyms correspond to “Uniform Resource Locator” or, as its translation into Spanish indicates, Uniform Resource Locator. This means in a simple way, that it is a mechanism to quickly locate any type of element within the Internet.
Specifically in Slack, each workspace has its own URL so that you can specifically access it just by entering the indicated address. In this sense, knowing the URL can be very beneficial.
If you want to discover How do you know what your URL is for your Slack account?, you should keep reading. In addition, we will show you how to perform other actions such as modifying the URL or sharing it with other users within the platform.
What is my Slack profile URL for and why is it important to know?
Inside Slack, the URL is made up of the name of your workspace, along with the domain slack.com (for example: projects.slack.com). In case you have an organization that has Enterprise Grid, it is possible to log in via an individual workspace URL.
Also, you can enter from the specific URL of your organization (projectsorg.enterprise.slack.com). Regarding its usefulness, URL is the web address that other users will use to locate you faster. So, if you have knowledge about what your specific address is, you can share it with others so that they can find you more easily. Next, we will explain specifically how to discover it, modify it and even share it.
As we indicated above, knowing the URL of your Slack account is very useful to save time. In this sense, there are a series of steps to follow.
Pay attention so you can get it:
To find your URL once you have logged in from a computer, follow the steps below:
- Click on the name of your workspace, which is in the upper left.
- The Url of Slack of your workspace, will be displayed just below the name of said space.
In case you are performing the procedure from a mobile device, you have to:
- Open the app of Slack on mobile.
- Go to the tab Start, which has a house icon.
- Swipe right to open the main menu.
- The Url of Slack You will find it below the space name of work.
Edit and customize
On the other hand, at some point you may wish modify and customize your URL. This functionality is available to workspace owners and organization owners and administrators. For their part, those with free, Standard, Plus and Enterprise Grid accounts can also edit the URL.
Consequently, to change the name or the URL of the workspace, follow the procedure:
- From your PC, click on the workspace name, in the upper left.
- Tap on Administration , and then click Workspace settings.
- Tap on Rename and URL of workspace.
- Place the new name or url.
- Select in Save Changes.
If you want to change the name or URL of an organization, the process is very similar. You only have to:
- From the computer, click on the workspace name.
- Click on Administration within the menu and then Organization Settings.
- Tap on Settings in the left column.
- Then enter Organization information.
- Writes he name and domain of the organization.
- Choose Save Changes.
Added to that, there is one aspect to consider when trying to make a URL change, either in your workspace or in your organization:
- In your workspace: Slack will automatically redirect the old address to the new one. However, if there is another group that wants to review your old URL, it will not redirect to the new one.
- In your organization: the platform will not redirect the old address to the new one. This only applies if the old URL was registered by another group or not. Therefore, members should be reminded to update their links and bookmarks.
In Slack it is very easy to share any type of content, be it articles, websites, tweets, etc. When sharing any link, you will have a preview of the content below the message by default. Likewise, you can deactivate it whenever you want.
The way to share your URL with other users is very simple. Simply copy and paste the url into the message field and proceeds to send it. An important fact is that most of the links are expanded automatically so that you have a preview of the web.
For your part, you should bear in mind that there are reasons why the preview may not be displayed, some of the main ones are:
- The Url does not have preview data.
- You posted a Url leading to a private page or file.
- Another member of the same workspace just posted the link.
- You did not add the application of Twitter
- It is an audio or video URL that is hosted by a service that has not yet been added to the permission list.
- The http: // protocol.
- He message has more than four links.
If you want to remove the preview of the link, do the following:
- Go to your PC and hover over the preview of the link.
- Press on the X which is to the left of the link.
Finally, if you simply want to remove all link previews, you can modify the settings as follows:
- Go to the computer and click on your profile picture by Slack.
- Tap on preferences within the menu.
- Tap on Messages and media, located in the left sidebar.
- Under Built-in media and links, you must uncheck the boxes next to the options: Show images and files from linked web pages, Show preview of linked web pages.
If you have any questions, leave them in the comments, we will answer you as soon as possible, and it will surely be of great help to more members of the community. Thank you! 😉