Laptops have become a great tool for most users, mainly because they are computers that can be transport from one place to another with great ease.
However, because they are made to be transported from one place to another due to their small size, many times we want to know what screen size has the laptop, especially if you want to buy a briefcase or suitcase to carry it.
According to this, here we are going to explain how you can measure screen size and know a little more about what specifications they should have to ensure a good performance according the use you need give the pc.
Steps to find out how many inches your laptop screen is on Windows or Mac
Laptop screens they cannot be measured from side to side, as they are extremely delicate and could reach suffer some kind of damage for different reasons.
Also, although it seems something very simple and of little importance, to know the specific size of the PC visor It is very important, either to buy a new one if it has been damaged or simply to have it as reference measure to buy some cargo briefcase.
It should be noted that these computers usually have a screen size that goes between 10 inches (25.4 cm) to 18 inches (46 cm), this will depend on the model of it. Therefore, here we explain how you can Measure the size of the laptop visor in inches on Windows and Mac:
Power know this specific measure is very important for all users, taking into account that it can be used to perform any kind of action on it.
In order to do this, you will need to follow these steps:
- The first thing will be to find a standard tape measure. However, it is important to note that the laptop visor is measured in inches, although some countries prefer use the metric system. Despite this, you can measure them and then change it to inches.
- The next thing will be to find a point where you are going to start measuring, keep in mind that these are measured diagonally. Therefore, it is recommended to choose as a starting point the upper or lower right or left corner.
- Now extend the tape measure from the starting point to the other corner. Keep in mind in measure the visible part of the screen and not the frame Of the same.
- When you have already measured the screen you can pass the values to inches. Most computer vendors classify size in measurements as 17.3 inch, 18.1 inch, among other. But, most of the measuring tapes show their stockings as in sixteenths of an inch, etc. To know your exact measurement you can use the following table.
- In the case of wanting to have sayings values in centimeters, then you can multiply the value of the inch by 2.54 to get the same value, but this time in cm. An example of this would be: 17.3 x 2.54 = 43.94 cm.
In the case of Mac laptops this process is similar to the case of Windows, To do this, follow these steps:
- It is recommended that before starting calculate size the computer shuts down completely.
- Now move the computer visor until it has a few 90 degrees to the keyboard.
- The next thing will be to place the tape measure in any of the top or bottom corners of the laptop.
- Then we move the tape measure until you reach the other corner of the pc, now read the number that appears and that way you can get the measurement of the screen.
How to calculate the pixel density of the laptop screen according to the inches of the monitor?
It is possible that at some point buy a laptop and you want to have a case made to have it more protected and you need know the density of the screen to know the size of the suitcase. There may also be many more reasons why you want to know this measure exactly.
In this case, it is important to take into account two sizes that are essential and which we explain below:
Screen size to find out PPi
The first thing will be to find out graphic density (PPi) which is associated with the size of the computer visor. Keep in mind that the higher this number is, the better it will be the graphic or pixel resolution of the videos.
To be able to find out this from your PC you simply have to follow these steps:
- In this case we are going to carry out the process through a Windows 10 laptop. To do this, the first thing to do is click on the “Start Menu”.
- Now enter the option “Setting”.
- A new window will appear where you will select the section of “System”.
- Now select the option “Screen” to the left side.
- On the right side, go down until you get the option to “Advanced display settings”.
- In the resolution you will have to search the maximum supported by the team.
- We will need this data that we obtain here to perform some calculations or to use them through a online application that will facilitate the size of the PC. Therefore, the following will be to make a summation of all the values obtained by raising them to the second power.
- When you already have the values you should extract the square root.
- Finally, supporting you with any measuring instrument you can obtain the diagonal end-to-end dimension of the equipment. When the value is obtained, it must be divided by the value obtained previously.
Screen size through an online application
Now is the time to start applying everything we did previously which will help us to know the graphical density (PPi) which is directly associated with the size of the team’s visor. Keep in mind that if you use a online tool you will avoid doing the previous steps manually.
In this case you can use the program DPI Calculator / PPi Calculator, there you will have to place the resolution we got in the previous steps, you also have to place the value obtained in diagonal measurement.
Once this is done you will get the screen size result in its width, length, as well as the value of the graphic density. These values will help you to check if the values obtained previously were real or not. Therefore, through this online tool you can start to know this type of specifications of you Windows or Mac laptop in a very simple and fast way.
All resolutions for all major laptop screen sizes
In general, every time a computer is bought, it is taken into account three basic aspects which are fundamental for good team performance, among them we find RAM, processor and operating system. However, on many occasions it is forgotten or not taken into account the computer screen.
It should be noted that it is one of the most important parts in this type of equipment, since through it it will be where everything that you want to carry out in it is reflected. Therefore, it is essential to be able to have a visor that is adapted according to the use that we want to give the computer.
As already mentioned above, the size will mainly depend on the equipment model. That is why here we present you the main resolutions that we will find in the different models of laptops that exist in the market.
- 10.1 inch: When you have these measures you must have resolutions 1,280 x 720 pixels minimum. Ideal for those who need mobility and lightness on the computer.
- 12.1 and 13.3 inches: In this case they have 1,920 x 1,080 pixel resolutions, ideal for those users looking for a balance between mobility and productivity on the PC.
- 14 and 15.6 inches: They have a minimum resolution of 1,920 x 1,080 pixels, ideal for those people who tend to spend long hours in the day in front of the computer.
- 17.3 inch: Works with 2,560 and 1,440 pixel resolutions. This type of equipment is considered the best option for those users looking for a very professional experience similar to that of working on a desktop computer.
Ideal dimensions and qualities of your laptop monitor according to how you use it
Every time we buy a new computer we have to make sure that it meets the requirements we need, such as the capacity of the same, the processor, a large memory, the video quality, among many other tools.
But, on many occasions we overlook the screen, without taking into account that it is one of the most important factors, since the size of it will depend largely on the use you want to give it. That is why here we show you which are the appropriate sizes according to the function you want to give the equipment.
For the common user
In the case of a common user it is recommended to use computers with 11 or 12-inch visors, These equipments are ideal for simple practices such as browse, search for information, check email or social media, activities that do not require great details to visualize.
For the Gamer
If you like to constantly play games on PC, then you can use computers with 15 inch screens, a standard measurement among all types of sizes. Where you can enjoy video games, movies and series, as well as perform video edits and small works of graphic representation. However, in case you want to have a more professional and realistic experience in each of your games you can choose one 17-inch visor.
For the professional
For those users who need a computer to carry out professional jobs in different areas then it is recommended to use 17 inch screens. They will allow you to see in greater detail everything that is done within the team.
For the designer
If you work designing then we recommend using large screens over 17 inches, which are ideal for performing graphic design and video editing jobs. Where you can easily observe each of the details and you will have a better video resolution.
For video consumers
Finally, if you are a fanatic user of videos or work in this area, then you will need to have a machine with 15 inch screen, it will allow you to reproduce any multimedia content with great ease Y to great resolution, as well as carry out video and audio editions.
If you have any questions, leave them in the comments, we will answer you as soon as possible, and it will surely be of great help to more members of the community. Thank you! 😉