Yes speed drops significantly on a WiFi network It is not only due to interference that may exist, but also due to the connection of unauthorized devices.
That is to say, every time the WiFi performance drops it is probably because there are people who cracked the access password. This creates problems in the security, since anyone can enter the computer remotely and see data private.
To avoid these inconveniences, you will have to strengthen your WiFi. If you want to know how you can shield a modemPlease pay attention to the following paragraphs. We will explain all the details to you.
Why shouldn’t I have my Internet connection stolen over my WiFi network?
Today, most routers operate on two frequencies. One of 2.4 GHz and the other from 5 GHzThe first being the one with the longest range and the lowest connection speed. This is due to the 14 channels it works with to transmit the signal. The 5 GHz frequency has a much shorter range, but has more than 20 transmission channels and therefore a better speed.
With this we can determine that if someone is stealing the WiFi signal it is likely to be on the 2.4 GHz frequency, since in it it is easier to detect that its performance decreases. As there are only 13 + 1 channels for its operation, it is easier for these to become saturated and not have the intensity for efficient transmission of signals.
Therefore, the optimum would be that there are few mobile phones and computers connected at these frequencies. If they steal the WiFi signal they will occupy one of the channels. So saturation will be higher, causing a significant decrease in network performance.
Learn step by step how to know who connects to your WiFi network from your mobile without your permission
Next, we will show you the steps you must follow on your mobile to find out who connects to your WiFi network:
Download the Net Scan app and follow this guide:
- Open the app, go to option “Net Scan”.
- Choose the network which you want to analyze.
- Enter it typing the password.
- A list will appear with connected devices, address MAC and IP.
- Control your devices with the ones you see on the list. If you find a suspicious one, you must change the PIN to access the WiFi network.
The steps that you must perform on your iPhone or iPad are as follows:
- Download the app “Fing” of the App Store.
- Once you have it installed grant the necessary permissions.
- You will then see the name of the network to which you are connected at the top left of the screen. If you want to change to another network to which you also have reach, you must click on the arrow to display the menu.
- When you have chosen the network select the tab “Devices”. After a few seconds a list will appear with all the connected equipment, brand and operating system.
- If you want to expel someone in particular, you must change the password to access the router. In case you need to know if it connects again, you will have to select the device, go to the bottom of the screen and activate the option “Notifications”.
Tips to configure your wireless network in a much more secure and private way
If you want to have a completely secure WiFi network, pay attention to the following tips:
Use MAC filters
One of the fastest and safest ways to shield your WiFi network is configure the router so that only devices that have a set MAC address can access.
For this it is necessary to know it, if you do not know how to do it we will explain it to you:
- On Windows: press the key Windows + R, writes cmd and then run the command ipconfig / all.
- On a Mac: go to the menu and choose About my Mac, then click More information and finally in System report.
- On Android mobile: Choose Setting, choose Wifi and later Advanced settings.
- On an iPhone: click on Setting, click on general and finally in the option About.
Once you know the MAC address, You will have to enter the router’s configuration panel with your browser.
To do this, you will have to follow this process:
- Writes in the address bar “192.168.1.1”.
- Login the username and password to access.
- Head to the tab “Wireless”.
- Press in option “MAC filters”.
- Next, you must Enterokay one by one MAC of authorized devices. Every time you finish you will have to click on “Add”.
Change the SSID and password frequently
Everytime that change the name of the WiFi network it will take longer for the intruder to know which signal belongs to you. While this will help you when there are many networks, it is also good to apply it in areas with little wireless Internet coverage. You should choose names that are not related to you.
In addition, you will have to change the access password. We recommend that you use symbols, capital letters and numbers when choosing a new PIN. You must bear in mind that it has to be easy for you to remember, but knowing that you cannot choose birthday dates, addresses, names of your relatives or any other information that can be obtained by logical deduction.
Disable the WPS security protocol
Typically routers They come from the factory with the WPS protocol activated. This way you can enter a 8 digit PIN instead of the password to access the WiFi network. This creates big problems when it comes to protecting security since hackers find it very easy to access the network by this means.
Modify security encryption to WPA2
There are applications that can be installed on any mobile and obtain access to WiFi via a PIN, then you need to connect to the router to know the password. This can be done as long as the security protocol is not WPA2, since it is much more efficient than the rest.
To perform this type of configuration you will do this guide:
- Enter the router’s configuration panel by typing in a browser “192.168.1.1” and then the access password.
- Click on the option “Wireless Setting”.
- Choose “Security” and choose the tool “Authentication Type”.
- Click on “Save”.
You must do these steps in each of the router frequencies. That is, in the 2.4 GHz and in that of 5 GHz.
Hide the WiFi signal
This will make no device can pick up the WiFi signal. To enter the network you must write the SSID and then the password. That is, you will not do it automatically as you do each time the mobile detects the signal.
To strengthen the WiFi, you will have to follow this process:
- Login to the settings panel and then go to “Network”.
- Then click “WLAN”.
- Choose the tool “SSID Settings”.
- Active the box “Enable SSID”. On some devices you will find it as “Hide WiFi network”.
If you have any questions, leave them in the comments, we will answer you as soon as possible, and it will also be of great help to more members of the community. Thank you! 😉