The LAN networks or Local Area Network, is a type of network used for communications locally as its name indicates. It works by interconnecting nodes and using cables or wireless means.
The connection is limited by physical means, these can be a building, plant or some room. This type of network allows data transfer at high speeds, which will only be available to those users connected to said internal network.
To know more about them, in this article you will see more details What is a LAN network? The types that exist and the uses that exist.
What is a Local Area Network and what is it for in computing?
It is a computer network that has a limited range by a limited and specific physical space like those mentioned above. These work by interconnecting nodes, cables and wireless media, which allow the network to be used to communicate locally with other devices.
From this Local Area Network a large amount of data can be sent at high speeds, from 10Mb / s to 10Gb / s (only in theory). This is due to the fact that access to it is physically limited, so it is only allowed for all those devices connected to it, which allows the data and elements that are in it to be more secure.
What uses does a LAN network have in computing?
In computing they have different uses, which are directed to something specific. They are mainly implemented in companies and universities. Among the different uses we can name:
- Security: It is the main reason why this type of connection is used, since in LAN networks the devices are only connected to each other, therefore, external threats cannot enter the network.
- Speed: It contains a high speed file transfer, allowing information to be sent and received quickly.
- Simplify work: in work areas it is not necessary for each user to have a printer to print important jobs or documents. This means that you can have a printer connected only to a local area network, which is available to all users of it.
- Share files: You can create a shared storage space between all the devices that are connected in the local network, which means that it is not necessary to send a file to different people. Well, just by letting those interested know that it is in the shared storage, they can enter to view it.
- In games: In the world of video games, using this type of connection, mainly in events or championships of great importance, helps the latency (slowness of the network) to be zero or very low in order to avoid a player being at a disadvantage.
What types of local networks exist?
There are three types, each of which varies in cost, data transmission speed and wiring difficulty, among them the following can be mentioned:
- Hybrid LAN Network: It is a combined network that is made up of the combination of a wired connection and a wireless connection. These types of networks can be implemented to facilitate the stability and versatility of each network.
With this type, all the disadvantages of both a wireless network and a wired network are eliminated.
- Wired Network: It is a type of network in which each of the computers and other peripherals that will belong to it are connected by cables.
- WLAN (Wireless Local Area Network): allows communication and data transfer wirelessly. It is widely used as an alternative to wired local area networks and can be used as an extension to them, which would make them a hybrid connection.
Its advantage is that allows you to reach difficult places for wiring, which helps to save money on the same. However, its speed does not match a wired connection.
- VLAN (Virtual Local Area Network): is a method used to create logically independent networks within the same physical network. Multiple VLANs can exist on a single physical switch or on a single physical connection, without problems. As these generate a reduction in latency in the network, they are easy to set up work groups and allow more private networks, where only the indicated people participate.
Components of a LAN network What does it take to create one?
There are a number of different components that are necessary for the proper functioning of a network of this type. Also essential so that it can provide a stable service without generating problems for users.
The elements required to create a local connection are the following:
- Server: is that or those computers that are used to share your resources; hardware and software, with all other computers on the network. Its main characteristics are the computing power, the amount of information it stores and the connection with the resources that you want to share.
- Workstation: computers taking on the role of workstations take advantage of all the resources offered by the network, as well as the services provided by the servers to which they can access.
- Gateway or gateways: they are a type of hardware and software that enables communications between the local network and large computers (Mainframe). The Gateway adapts each of the Mainframe communication protocols (X25, SNA, etc.) to those of the network and vice versa.
- Bridge or bridges: This is a type of hardware and software that allows two local networks to connect to each other.
- Network card: They are also known as NIC (Network Interface Card). It performs the function of an intermediary between the computer and the communication network. The network communication protocols are stored there. Although nowadays there are more teams that have this adapter integrated directly into their motherboard.
- The middle: It is made up of the cabling and connectors that are linked to the components of the network. The most used physical media are; twisted pair cable, cable pair, coaxial cable and fiber optics, (the latter is the most widely used, both for its low cost and for the high data transmission speed it provides).
- Cabling hubs: It allows the connection of the stations in a single point, the concentrator, which works as a single device that is responsible for centralizing the connections, maintaining light indicators of their status and preventing any fault from being generated or a power drop from occurring. the network connection.
If you have any questions, leave them in the comments, we will answer you as soon as possible, and it will also be of great help to more members of the community. Thank you! 😉