Today, one of the social networks most famous in the digital environment and worldwide, without a doubt, it’s LinkedIn. Which refers to a professional platform that It is clearly oriented to commercial and professional relationships, so it also stands out for being the best channel for networking and promoting yourself.
In this sense, the most relevant professional social network can act as a Live online CV, since its most outstanding functionality lies in allows you to expose your work experience and with it, obtain visibility with respect to your personal brand on the Internet. But, to do it correctly, It is valuable to know what the settings of your LinkedIn account are for.
Therefore, from this post, we want to teach you What are LinkedIn account settings about and what are their functions?, as well as the sections it contains and that you can customize, according to your goals and preferences. So, you will get more out of your LinkedIn profile.
What are LinkedIn account settings and what are they for?
While it is true, in general terms, social networks have become an essential part of modern life, but As well as offering numerous benefits, they can also negatively affect their users. Which is why the platforms themselves have become aware of this and They have options that allow you to modify their functionalities, according to the expectations of each person.
So, specifically, these options are known as “account settings” and they are based on sections that simplify the adaptation of one thing with respect to another that is closely linked to the first. Therefore, they can be defined as certain aspects that provide the ability to personalize the user experience within LinkedIn.
Therefore, the account settings of this professional social network are used to manage and update privacy and security settings, As for make configurations based on the preferences of each user. In such a way, they allow you fine-tune, organize and modify your account information, privacy preferences, ad settings and communication notifications, basically.
How are the different aspects of my account settings divided?
In order to facilitate the customization of each LinkedIn profile, this platform has focused on sectioning your account settings through various essential aspects so that each user can get the most out of this social network.
However, for a person to manage these sections correctly, it is important that they know what they are about and how they work:
It is a tab that gives you the ability to manage your account settings in general, as its name implies. Therefore, from there you can add email addresses, modify your password to access, change the language of the account, etc.
Now, to enter this section, you have to go to the homepage from LinkedIn and select the option “Settings and privacy”, and then press the tab “Accounts”.
Thus, you will be able to see and enter the following subsections:
- Login and security: Ideal for managing some basic data of your account (password, email address and where you have logged in, for example).
- Site Preferences: This is for choose how you want the platform to work for you, either depending on the language, the video sample, your activity feed, etc.
- Partners and services: Through it, it will be possible control and monitor third-party services that you have approved.
- Account management: It allows you link multiple accounts or close your LinkedIn account, when necessary.
The next section is based on the privacy of your LinkedIn account and has all the security and privacy configuration options associated with what other members of the platform can see about you, as well as how the information can be used or your data can be downloaded, for example. Definitely, on LinkedIn this tab is extremely important.
For his part, to see what are all the subsections available in this section, you will have to enter the tab Privacy via option “Settings and privacy”That you get in the drop-down menu by pressing the icon “I”.
Thus, you will see the following options:
- How others see your profile and your network information: Of course, it serves to select what to share about yourself on LinkedIn, in order not to display more than is appropriate to other users.
- How others see your activity on LinkedIn: Through this option, you can control visibility of your profile activity.
- How LinkedIn uses your data: It is ideal for manage the way your data is used on the professional platform.
- Job search preferences: It consists of one of the most useful options out there, since it offers you the possibility of set your preferences around job search and in this way, the recruitment technicians will know of your interest in new business opportunities.
- Lock and hide: From here, it will be possible choose who can follow you on LinkedIn, as well as observing your list of blocked members and reviewing who you have unfollowed.
It simply refers to a tab that provides the indicated options for monitor or control the information LinkedIn uses to serve you relevant advertisements, of course, by changing the ad settings of your account. To access from the home page, press the “Me” icon and select “Settings and privacy”, from where you can access “Advertisements”At the top of the page.
Once you enter this section, you will be able to configure and manage various alternatives, according to your preferences and / or expectations.
Next, we specify which are the actions that can be carried out from “Ads”:
- Manage general advertising preferences: Either examine the use of data on the websites you have visited to generate added information for the owners, control whether LinkedIn can use your information from profile picture To make the content of the displayed ads look more personalized, decide if the social network can show targeted ads, etc.
- Manage the data collected on LinkedIn: It is essential to control whether LinkedIn can use information demographic about you to make your ads more relevant, arrange whether you can use your Postal Code to add relevance based on location, select what information about your jobs it can use, choose what profile information of your education it can handle to optimize the relevance of the ads, etc.
- Manage third-party data settings: Works to control whether LinkedIn may use data about third-party websites you have visited, define if the social network has the power to use information about the actions you have taken on the advertisers’ websites, etc.
Through this tab, you can formalize your preferences based on how you want the professional social network and other people present in it, contact you. Besides that, it gives you the options to manage the frequency with which you want these actions to be carried out.
Thus, as in the previous cases, you have to click on the icon “I” to press the option “Settings and privacy”, from where you can enter the section Communications.
In this section we will see the following subsections available:
- Channels: This option gives you the possibility to control who, how and when you will receive notifications in your account.
- preferences: If you access this section, you will be able to indicate your predilections for receive messages and invitations.
- Groups: It is essential for manage group invitations and notifications, specifically.
- LinkedIn messages: Here you can choose if you would like receive invitations to participate in research on the platform.
Tips to customize my account settings and get the most out of the platform
Since there are many alternatives to manage your account in LinkedIn through the different setting options it offers, it is essential to know how to handle the most important of them in order to personalize your profile to the maximum and to get the most out of this social network with more than 100 million active users.
Therefore, here are some recommendations of interest to optimize the account settings on LinkedIn, easily and correctly:
Customize your header image
With the aim of giving some character to your profile, we advise you create your own image with dimensions between 1000×425 and 4000×4000 pixels, in JPG, GIF or PNG format of no more than 4 MB. Even, without wanting to lose originality, you can be inspired by the images of other people with great visibility in LinkedIn what are associated with your brand, company or personality.
Change your headline to get attention
Default, your headline on LinkedIn It is the first thing that the other users of the platform will observe when entering your profile and, therefore, it is essential to take care of it and personalize it, in order to stand out on the social network in such a way.
So, despite the fact that every time you change jobs, the social network updates it automatically, the most advisable thing is have a much more original headline and give it a distinctive and informative touch at the same time, instead of leaving the one LinkedIn has placed you.
Use two-factor verification
To customize the account LinkedIn in the best way, it is appropriate to have an extra layer of security, in order to take care of all the information stored in your profile and avoid that at some point your image may be discredited in the professional social network. For which, Two-step verification can be activated.
This tool consists of accessing your account in a much more confidential way. LinkedIn, since apart from entering your password, You must also enter a code received through an app or via SMS; all this, from your smartphone. This being the case, an alternative that We recommend activating from the “Account” tab.
Make it easy for them to get in touch with you
Directly from the tab Privacy, you have the possibility to choose who can communicate with you through the social network, how others see your profile and your account information. Thus, we advise you manage these options so that members of the social network can contact you, either to interview you or establish an alliance.
You can also make a call to action in the summary box of your profile, either by stating your email address, your phone number or your website. Thanks to this, it will be easier to gain visibility on the platform and promote your knowledge, products or services.
If you have any questions, leave them in the comments, we will answer you as soon as possible, and it will surely be of great help to more members of the community. Thank you! 😉