Microsoft Word It is par excellence the program we use to create text documents, This is because it offers different options and functions that help make these more personalized and professional.
At the time of making them many times we want these to be organized, and for this to be possible we need to develop an index that helps us better structure our content. But, for this we require the use of page numbering.
How to do it? Although it is a process that can be easy for some, for others it can be a problem, since sometimes It is difficult for them to have to do it with specific pages.
Steps to turn on page numbering in a Word document
In this program we have a tool called “Page number”, that facilitates us the fact of inserting the numbering easily where we want, all we have to do is open the new file or document and follow the steps below:
- The first step is to go to the menu option and click on the section “Insert”.
- Next, we locate the option of “Page number”.
- This will open a menu with different options, all we have to do is select the one we want and set the location and style we want.
The options allow us to do the following:
- Top of page: list the pages in different formats at the top of the document pages.
- End of page: add the numbering at the bottom of each page.
- Page margins: performs the numbering of the pages in the lateral margins of the document in different formats.
- Actual position: makes the numbering of the page where we have the cursor.
- Page number format: offers different options for setting and formatting page numbers. For example, if we want the numbering to start with the number 1 on the second page we just have to go to “Page number” > “Page number format” and indicate in “Start” the number 0. If, on the contrary, we want the first page different from the rest, we just have to click on “First page different”.
- Remove page numbers: as its name says, it removes the enumeration in case it has been established.
Learn how to start page numbering from a different one to the first
Listing pages can be tricky when we try to do it on the third or fourth page of the document, this because Word does not offer an easy way to run it when we want to start at a specific site. If we talk about a thesis, for example, we know that these have certain pages that must go without numbering and this is where the process is complicated.
But, don’t worry, in this part we will help you:
- We open the document to which we want to assign the numbering. Then we place the cursor at the end of the page before the one we want to list, That is, if we want to start on page 3 we must place the cursor on number 2.
- We enter the tab “Page design” and we click “Jumps”, there we must select “Next page”.
- This will create two sections. Respectively, section 2 begins on the page we want to list. It should be noted that if this jump is created on a blank page, we can delete it and nothing will happen.
- If we do a double Clicking on the header we will see the two sections. When doing this we will observe that both are linked, consequently, they must be unlinked.
- For this we must go to “The same as the previous” and in the tab “Design”, click on the icon “Link to the previous one to deactivate it”.
- Keep in mind that if you put the numbering at the bottom of the page and not in the headers, you must repeat this step, but clicking on the footer of the page. By this we mean that the headers and footers are unlinked separately.
- To end click off the page to close it.
- Once this is done, you must follow the steps that were mentioned in the previous point. Place the cursor where you want to start listing, press “Insert”> “Page number” and enter “Top of Page” or “End of Page”, depending on where you want the pagination.
- Once the design has been chosen, you should know that this will start counting from the actual page number within the document, so it will not start at 1 but on page 3 or 4 as the case may be.
- If we want this to start from 1 we must click on the number and go to “Layout”> “Page number”> “Page format” and follow the instructions.
If you have any questions, leave them in the comments, we will answer you as soon as possible, and it will also be of great help to more members of the community. Thank you! 😉