Has it ever happened to you that you wish turn off your computer or laptop screen without knowing turn off completely the team?. To be able to do it, in Windows there are some very interesting features that will allow you to achieve it.
In the first instance we will talk to you about how to do it through the hibernate and suspend functions. Although they might seem the same roughly, they actually have a number of characteristics that differentiate them.
Throughout this post, we will teach you How to turn off the screen of your Windows 8 PC without turning off the whole computer?, through a step-by-step guide. In addition to that, we will also share a series of tips so you can customize your computer’s lock screen.
Learn step by step how to lock the screen of your Windows 8 PC
As we indicated before, you can proceed to turn off or lock the screen of your Windows 8 PC through the functions of “suspension” and “hibernation”.
They are very easy to use, so we will explain what each one consists of and how to use them correctly:
The most interesting thing in this way is that consumes very little energy, allows your computer to start up faster and, in addition, when you use it again it will be at the same point where you left it. You do not have to worry about losing jobs because the battery runs out, because Windows takes care of automatically saving progress of everything you have open. The only way to turn off your PC is for the battery to be almost completely drained.
It is advisable to go to this functionality when you are away from your computer for a short time. A good example to use the sleep mode, is when you are going to take a break to eat or do any other activity that does not take up too much time. It should be noted that there are many devices such as laptops or tablets that are put in mode suspension when close the lid or simply press the button Start / Shutdown.
Once you are clear about what this mode consists of, the next thing is to learn how to put your PC to sleep. The step by step is indicated below:
- Swipe your finger from the right edge of the screen.
- Click on the option Search for (In case of using a mouse, point to the upper right corner of your screen, move the pointer down and select Search).
- Proceed to write Energy options inside the search box.
- Tap on Energy options.
- Go to Choose the behavior of the on / off buttons.
- Next to the option mentioned above, tap on Suspension.
- Choose Save Changes.
- If you are using a laptop, click Choose the behavior of the lid closure. Next to that, select in Suspension and finally in Save Changes.
This way, whenever you want activate sleep mode, you should only press the start / stop button in your team desk, or close the lid in the case of laptops or tablets. In case you want to resume operations you were carrying out, most of the time just press the start / stop button of your team. However, it can also be activated by simply pressing a key on your keyboard, clicking a mouse button and even simply opening the lid of the notebook.
It is an option designed primarily for notebooks, so it may not be available for all computers. For example, those who have InstantGo they do not have the option of hibernation. The particular thing about this way is that consumes much less power than sleep mode.
Other than that, when you start the computer again, everything returns to the same point where you left it but in a slightly slower way than with the suspension. It is recommended in those moments when do not use the device for a long period of time and that you will not be able to recharge the battery.
If this option is available for your PC or device, you must carry out the following steps to activate it:
- Swipe your finger from the right edge of the screen.
- Choose Search for.
- Type in the search bar Energy options and enter that option.
- Go to Choose the behavior of the start / stop button.
- Select in Change settings currently unavailable.
- Within Shutdown settings, activates the function Hibernate.
- Tap on Save Changes.
So you can place your equipment in hibernation in different ways.
Among the main forms are:
- Move mouse towards the lower left corner of the screen and then right-click on Start. You can also do it pressing the del key Windows logo + X on the keyboard. Click on To turn off or Sign off and select Hibernate.
- Slide your finger from the right edge of the screen and enters Setting. Tap on Start / Shutdown and then on Hibernate.
Tips to customize your Windows 8 lock screen
If you want give your computer a more personal touch, you can go to the alternative of customize lock screen. Do it in Windows 8 It is very simple, and you will be able to modify details such as the background image or the information that is displayed through it.
First of all, to have access to the panel of these settings you have to carry out the following procedure:
- Go to the right sidebar or press the Windows key + C.
- When the menu is displayed, select the option Setting.
- Subsequently, enter Change PC settings.
- Go to Personalize.
From here you can make all the changes you want related to the lock screen of your Windows 8.
In this sense, we share some useful tips to customize this section:
Change the background image
Once you enter the dashboard Personalize, you can see from the right side that there are three tabs or options. Go to the one that says Lock screen. From there, you can change the background image of this section, just enough press the Browse button to find one that you have saved on your computer or select one of the default ones.
The type of image to place will depend on your tastes, so if default options they are not to your liking, you can always download one online and select it as the background image option on your lock screen. As a recommendation, check image quality to make it look aesthetic.
Use an external tool for more customization options
Directly from Windows 8, you can only carry out small changes, so if you really want to provide a totally unique design, it is best to seek the help of external tools dedicated to it. A good example of these is Lock Screen Customizer. It is an application of WinAero with which you can change certain extra details in the appearance of your lock screen.
Some things it allows you to adjust are:
- Change the format the clock.
- Modify the language in which the date.
- Personalize the colors of the display login.
- To select a folder with several images so that the bottom of your lock screen change automatically when you slide it.
Download desktop themes
If you don’t want to worry about choosing the right colors for your desktop or lock screen, this is always a good option. download desktop themes. The interesting thing about them is that they are a combination of images, colors of windows and sounds that give a different style to your team.
The safest website to do this is directly from Microsoft. Enter this link: “Https://support.microsoft.com/es-ve/help/13768/desktop-themes-featured” and in the list of options that are displayed, select the topic that you like the most. Without a doubt, it is a very simple procedure and with which you will have a very wide range of options according to your tastes and needs.
If you have any questions, leave them in the comments, we will answer you as soon as possible, and it will be of great help to more members of the community. Thank you! 😉