Today, Microsoft Word It is listed as the leading word processor in the world. Since, it is a very complete tool for create, edit, personalize and manage any digital document.
That is why many students and professionals rely on this program to make digital texts of any kind. So that, constantly, they must execute a series of tasks that are repeated in all their writings and for this, they have been created Word macros.
Thus, in order to automate your most common tasks in Word, you can make use of this functionality. Therefore, it is effective to know what are macros for, what are their advantages and types, like the process to follow to enable and run them.
What is a Macro in Microsoft Word and what is this tool for?
Basically a macro is a series of commands, patterns and instructions that are grouped together as a single callsign that has the ability to complete a task automatically. In other words, said series of instructions specify a specific input sequence to start several actions simultaneously, once they are sent to the program.
Thus, it is a functionality that Used to automate a sequence of repetitive mouse movements or a set of keystrokes, with which it is possible to mechanize several tasks that will be executed one after another in order. With this, users they will get much more productivity when editing or managing your documents in Microsoft Word.
What are the benefits of using Macros in Microsoft Word?
In view of the fact that Word macros have the ability to automate a set of actions from a series of commands or instructions, of course they are considered elements of great help in the program, thanks to the great utility they offer.
Reason why, they guarantee several advantages that it is important to take into account and, then we mention each one of them:
- Allow save time around all those frequently run tasks in Word. Since, they do not require a set of keystrokes or a sequence of routine mouse movements.
- Macros are instructions very easy to run and intuitive to use, because they only require a combination of keys (keyboard shortcut) or the use of a single button.
- Too increase the utility of the program, given that macros offer the possibility of developing new functions, which they will be able to create according to what they need. In addition to that, they allow you to customize the quick access bar.
- In most cases, this functionality manages to reduce the error rate in digital documents because macros have the peculiarity of always working perfectly, as long as their creation process has been correct. On the other hand, if you carry out the tasks manually, the probability of making mistakes will be increased.
Types of macros in Word What are all that can be recorded and executed?
While it is true, there are several types of macros that can be recorded and run in Microsoft Word. But what are these typologies? Then, we name and detail the main classes of macros that are distinguished in this word processor:
- Application macro: Are those scripts that have a trace chronologically and they are used to economize tasks, basically. Therefore, they only allow you to execute a set of instructions, and generally are stored in a special location in the software.
- Macro in programming: These are macros that allow define an abbreviation to represent a portion of a program and with this, the programmer can avoid repeating identical parts of a software constantly. Since, it has the use of said abbreviation as many times as required.
Learn how to enable and run macros in your Microsoft Word quickly and easily
If you want to use this effective functionality in Word, in order to automate certain tasks that you must carry out repetitively or routinely, it is essential to know each of the steps to follow in order to create or enable a macro in said program, as well as to run it.
Thus, here we detail each procedure:
In general, the macros that are created in Word are assigned to a button or a combination of keys to execute, automatically, the series of instructions established. To start, we teach you how to record a macro with one button, taking into account that, instead of the mouse, you have to use the keyboard to select a text while the macro is being created:
- Initially, proceed to search and access any Word document, to locate you in the program’s ribbon and click on the “View” tab.
- After that, go to the Macros group and press the down arrow of that option, for later click where it says “Record macro …”.
- Now, you have to enter the name you want for that macro, in the indicated bar.
- In the section of “Save macro to:”, be sure to select the option “All Documents (Normal.dotm)” to be able to use that sequence in other later files.
- In the part of “Assign macro to:”, Choose “Button”.
- Then, in the Quick Access Toolbar, Click on the new macro and press Add. After, click on “Modify …” and there you have to choose an image for the button adding the name you want. Done that, click OK twice.
- Now, click on the commands or hit the keys for each step of the task, during the process of recording the steps.
- When you finish the above, go back to access the “View” tab, select “Macros” and click on “Stop recording”.
- Finally, the button for the new macro will be displayed in the Quick Access Toolbar of the program.
On the other hand, To record a Word macro with a keyboard shortcut, the process to follow is as follows:
- Located in the Word document, click on the “View” tab and select the “Macros” option to click on “Record macro …”.
- After the above, enter the name you prefer for that macro, choose “All Documents (Normal.dotm)” in the part of “Save macro to:” and in this case, in “Assign macro to:”, click on “Keyboard”.
- Later, in the Commands box, choose the macro in question and under “New shortcut key”, type a keyboard shortcut or key combination. As usual, use “Ctrl + key” and it is important that you check that this shortcut is not assigned to another default function in the program.
- Further, choose the option “Normal.dotm” in the box “Save changes to:” and done all of the above, click on the “Assign” button.
- Now, it is time to record the steps and for that, click the commands or press the keys for each step of the action.
- Finally, click on “Stop recording”, within the menu “Macros” belonging to the tab “View”.
Basically, to run a macro in Word, you have to use the button located on the quick access toolbar, use the combination of keys assigned for a certain action or access the list of macros in the program.
.Then, We explain each of the steps to follow to perform this last mentioned execution:
- Locate yourself in the indicated Word document and proceed to select the tab “View”, to now click on “Macros”.
- Now, among the available options, click on “See macros”, which is the one that is located in the first position.
- After that they will show you a list of all the macros you have created and these, of course, will be identified with the name you assigned to it during its recording.
- Finally, find the macro you want to use, click on it and hit the “Run” button. All the instructions established in the beginning will be carried out immediately.
Macro Security How safe is it to use them on documents of unknown origin?
Despite the fact that this added functionality in Office is very useful and reveals notable benefits for users, unfortunately, it can be considered a powerful threat. Since some macros in Word contain viruses, so it is considered an ideal tool for run and spread malware in your documents.
Thus, many years ago, the distribution of dangerous computer viruses through macros in documents of unknown origin, was remarkably accentuated and managed to extend throughout an entire era. In particular, since it is the unique cross-platform threats between Windows and Macintosh computers.
But, starting in 2006, Microsoft designed some security patches for Word and thus, managed to eliminate the risks caused by these macros. Consequently, currently, the risk of infecting a computer or file with macro viruses has been almost entirely reduced and they are less and less common, since the same program manages to regulate whether a macro of uncertain origin can be executed or not; but, in the same way, we recommend you pay attention to it.
If you have any questions, leave them in the comments, we will answer you as soon as possible, and it will surely be of great help to more members of the community. Thank you! 😉